• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small doubt on Phylloscopus whistleri (Ticehurst, 1925) and others (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Phylloscopus whistleri (Ticehurst, 1925) OD v.46=no.299-307 (1925-1926) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
H. Whistler Coll.
Anthus pratensis whistleri Clancey, 1942 OD v.63=no.444-448 (1942-1943) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Named after Mr. Hugh Whisther - an ornithologist to whom I owe much.
Cettia brunnifrons whistleri (Ticehurst, 1923) OD v.44=no.281-289 (1923-1924) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Niltava sundara whistleri Ticehurst, 1926 OD v.46=no.299-307 (1925-1926) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Periparus rubidiventris whistleri (Stresemann, 1931) OD https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/Ornithologische-Monatberichte_39_0105-0108.pdf#page=3
Mr. Hugh Whistler, dem ich 4 von Herrn W. Brick im Gebiet von Sining gesammelte Exemplare....
Pterorhinus albogularis whistleri (Baker, ECS 1921) OD v.41-43=no.253-280 (1920-1923) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Named after Mr. H. Whistler of the Indian Police, who has done much excellent field-work in N. W. India.
Pycnonotus jocosus whistleri Deignan, 1948 OD v.38 (1948) - Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Tarsiger chrysaeus whistleri Ticehurst, 1922 OD v.41-43=no.253-280 (1920-1923) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
...and colleague, Mr. Whistler, sent me sufficient material...
Sitta himalayensis whistleri Delacour, 1932 Nouv. sér., Vol. 2 (1932) - L'Oiseau et la Revue francaise d'ornithologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Nommé en l'honneur de M. Hugh Whistler.
Nectarinia zeylonica whistleri Ripley, 1946 OD Comments on Ceylon Birds . Spolia Zeylanica 24 ( 3 ) : 197-241 => p. 238 (not seen)

Whistler's Warbler Seicercus whistleri Ticehurst, 1925
White-throated Laughingthrush ssp. Garrulax albogularis whistleri E. C. S. Baker, 1921
Golden Bush Robin ssp. Tarsiger chrysaeus whistleri Ticehurst, 1922
Grey-sided Bush Warbler ssp. Cettia brunnifrons whistleri Ticehurst, 1923
Rufous-bellied Niltava ssp. Niltava sundara whistleri Ticehurst, 1926
Rufous-vented Tit ssp. Periparus rubidiventris whistleri Stresemann, 1931 [SII Periparus rubidiventris beavani]
White-tailed Nuthatch ssp. Sitta himalayensis whistleri Delacour, 1932 NCR; NRM
Meadow Pipit ssp. Anthus pratensis whistleri Clancey, 1942
Purple-rumped Sunbird ssp. Leptocoma zeylonica whistleri Ripley, 1946 NCR [JS Leptocoma zeylonica flaviventris]
Red-whiskered Bulbul ssp. Pycnonotus jocosus whistleri Deignan, 1948
Hugh Whistler (1889–1943) was a British policeman (1909– 1924) in the Punjab (most of present-day Pakistan, Himachal Pradesh and Haryana). He was also an ornithologist attached to the BMNH and a Fellow of the Zoological Society of London. Suffering ill-health he had to retire prematurely to England, living at Battle, Sussex, where he was a Justice of the Peace. Sussex University now awards the Whistler Prize to the best essay on natural history or archaeology. He worked very closely with C. B. Ticehurst (q.v.) in Spain, Albania, India and Ceylon (Sri Lanka). He spent much time in India and undertook a number of surveys there, e.g. Rajasthan (1938), which listed 300 species. Whistler and Ticehurst published a number of articles, including 'On the avifauna of Galicia' (1928) and 'On the ornithology of Albania' (1932). They wrote a monograph, Birds of India, which exists only as a manuscript in the USNM archives where it formed the basis for much of Ripley's (q.v.) work on Indian birds with Salim Ali (q.v.). Whistler wrote a number of articles alone, such as 'Migration notes from a passenger steamer' (1916) and the Popular Handbook of Indian Birds (1928). The latter has been updated many times and is regarded as the book which popularised birdwatching as a hobby amongst the Indian elite. Salim Ali included Whistler's notes in The Birds of Mysore (1942).

Hugh Whistler (1889-1943) Indian Police in the Punjab 1909-1932, naturalist, collector (subsp. Anthus pratensis, subsp. Cettia brunnifrons, syn. Leptocoma zeylonica flaviventris, subsp. Niltava sundara, subsp. Periparus rubidiventris, Phylloscopus, subsp. Pterorhinus albogularis, subsp. Pycnonotus jocosus, syn. Sitta himalayensis, subsp. Tarsiger chrysaeus).

Sure no doubt Hugh Whistler - Wikipedia

I just question (little) about the date of birth if I read https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v064n04/p0660-p0667.pdf
He was the eldest son of Major Fuller Whistler of the Highland Light Infantry and was born in Mablethorpe, Lincolnshire, England, September 28,1879.

Others obituaries like https://www.bnhs.org/public/authorData/Stalwart issue (11)-Hugh Whistler.pdf or https://www.nature.com/articles/152210a0.pdf give indeed 1889. Just a typo by Witmer Stone?

Just to be sure if September 28,1889 is the correct birth?

Anthus pratensis whistleri Clancey, 1942 OD v.63=no.444-448 (1942-1943) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Named after Mr. Hugh Whisther - an ornithologist to whom I owe much.

Martin, note that Clancey's OD, of "Anthus pratensis whistleri" does say:
Named after Mr. Hugh Whistler—an ornithologist to whom I owe much.

However, and for what it's worth, in my MS I have him as (in short); the British Police officer Hugh Whistler (18891943), ornithologist and collector, commemorated (in among several other taxa/birds) in Whistler's Warbler Phylloscopus/Seicercus whistleri TICEHURST 1925 , described as "Seicercus burkii whistleri", a k a Whistlers bambusångare [in Swedish (meaning: Whistler's Bamboo-Warbler/Singer)].

/B

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, the 1879 birth claimed in the Auk obit is incompatible with the age he is given in the same note ("in the fifty-fourth year of his life", in 1943).
(I.e, there is necessarily something wrong in this obit.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back