• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small grasshoppers, Switzerland/France border (1 Viewer)

S_Man

They all look different but I suppose they are Meadow Grasshoppers (last 2 pictures) Pseudochorthippus_parallelus, and Common Field Grasshopper Chorthippus brunneus?
The 4th picture looks different, maybe the 5th too...
Very hard to shoot with a lot of wind and hot temperatures, and I'm not into macro...

Attachments

• criquet_1.JPG
    criquet_1.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 8
  • criquet_2.JPG
    criquet_2.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 8
  • criquet_3.JPG
    criquet_3.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 8
  • criquet_4.JPG
    criquet_4.JPG
    339.2 KB · Views: 9
  • criquet_5.JPG
    criquet_5.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Pseudochorthippus_parallelus.JPG
    Pseudochorthippus_parallelus.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Pseudochorthippus_parallelus_2.JPG
    Pseudochorthippus_parallelus_2.JPG
    584 KB · Views: 7
4. (in addition to 6 &n7)is also a Pseudochorthippus parallelus.
5. is possibly Stenobothrus lineatus
1,2,3 is a Chorthippus species but there are a few choices on the French/Swiss border.

4. (in addition to 6 &n7)is also a Pseudochorthippus parallelus.
5. is possibly Stenobothrus lineatus
1,2,3 is a Chorthippus species but there are a few choices on the French/Swiss border.
Thanks. 1, 2, 3 were different individuals, but look quite similar...

More grasshoppers...
The abdomen of the 1st looks a bit like Stenobothrus lineatus but not the top...

Attachments

• criquet_6.JPG
    criquet_6.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 5
  • criquet_5.JPG
    criquet_5.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 5
  • criquet_4.JPG
    criquet_4.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 5
More grasshoppers...
The abdomen of the 1st looks a bit like Stenobothrus lineatus but not the top...
The 1st is a male Pseudochorthippus parallelus Meadow Grasshopper (short wings with a costal bulge over the tympanal opening, black knees, broad black line behind the eye, almost parallel sides to the edge of the pronotum).
The other 2 look like 3rd instar nymphs of Gomphocerippus rufus which over here in the UK we call Rufous Grasshopper but the international common name is White-clubbed Grasshopper.

The 1st is a male Pseudochorthippus parallelus Meadow Grasshopper (short wings with a costal bulge over the tympanal opening, black knees, broad black line behind the eye, almost parallel sides to the edge of the pronotum).
The other 2 look like 3rd instar nymphs of Gomphocerippus rufus which over here in the UK we call Rufous Grasshopper but the international common name is White-clubbed Grasshopper.
Thanks, these Meadow Grasshoppers are so variable, all 4 specimens in this thread are different and they are all adults?
I'm totally lost, I saw the abdomen is longer than posterior legs in my 1st post, but it's the opposite here... maybe it's a male/female thing?

Thanks, these Meadow Grasshoppers are so variable, all 4 specimens in this thread are different and they are all adults?
I'm totally lost, I saw the abdomen is longer than posterior legs in my 1st post, but it's the opposite here... maybe it's a male/female thing?
Yes - Meadow Grasshoppers can be any combination of brown and green colouration, with some black thrown in and sometimes reddish end of abdomen in the males. Females usually have very short wings as in your original post and males usually have shortish wings not reaching the hind knees (as in your pic in post 5) - but there can be long-winged individuals in both sexes although these are quite scarce! Females are much bigger and do have longer abdomens. Males have longer antennae and their eye is larger as a proportion of head size. A mating pair photo attached.

You can see a variety on European locusts and their ecology: Chorthippus parallelus

I have the first edition (and also now the english language version) of this book https://www.fnac.com/a15747413/Eric...France-Belgique-Luxembourg-Suisse-2em-edition and it is very good but what none of the field guides can do because a lack of print space is show the enormous variation in colouration of the species. E.g. for Chorthippus brunneus there were 12 different categories of colour combination described by Ragge and within those there's quite a variation :)

Attachments

• R10M_001121-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    R10M_001121-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the website and book references.

To be honest I don't feel a new passion for insects, my interest is my small plot of land, there are a few species of birds that are on the local red list (quite common birds in fact not sure why they are on this local list, eg Cirl bunting, Kestrel, Red-backed Shrike, etc.), then trail cameras (and roaming cats) gave me +20 species of mammals - that's including rodents, but nothing "of interest" yet.

Recently while waiting in my hide with my camera I found this Napoleon spider which was not on the local list, although it's found all around this area in both countries, so my idea was to start a personal "survey" about insects, but now I understand it's almost impossible. I'd better go the other way, and focus only on rarer species, and just try to see if I can spot one! Also despite my ignorance I can notice obvious differences in insect populations from year to year, so trying to be exhaustive would be an unending task...

Back to my grasshoppers, I understand this one is also a (young female) Meadow Grasshopper, with short wings, black knees, broad black line behind the eye...

Attachments

• criquet_10.JPG
    criquet_10.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 5
Different family, it's a bit in pieces, but maybe it's possible to ID it?

Attachments

• sauterelle.JPG
    sauterelle.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 9
No idea, I can't find any adult that looks exactly like that, but most websites are not exhaustive when it comes to photos that's why I'm asking.
Front (and hind) legs look huge compared to the body...

The very last bit up onto Shipstall Hill is a gentle slope, the rest is pretty level. Good luck if you decid to go. Where was your 1995 bird? Was it the one that has seemed to migrate between Anglesey and the Ythan?

It's a nymph, the wings are wrong for an adult.
Will check my field guide to see if it's possible to id...
Yes - I could see it was a nymph but I wanted to check if the poster had determined that before insisting it was a different family :) Good luck with the attempted Id.

Another one from earlier in the season... I was thinking maybe Decticus verrucivorus or Bicolorana bicolor, but I can't find any picture or description that match perfectly, I suppose it's not 100% adult either?

Attachments

• Dectique.JPG
    Dectique.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back