• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small island birding (1 Viewer)

I'd go Shetland rather than Fair Isle: even if I had to pick a single island I'd say Shetland Mainland. Varied habitats, room to go birding somewhere different occasionally and great for migration and vagrants, not to mention cetaceans and seals. Its many years since I saw Harp Seal there but it must get stuff that isn't seen....

John

Madagascar would be fun. It's not THAT big and it has, as the rules require, a rather small bird diversity. :) (If you can have Fiuji, you can as well have Taiwan or Sri Lanka, no?)

Jokes aside, I would rather choose e.g. Texel / Schiermonnikoog (The Netherlands) and Corvo / Flores (Azores) than anything too tropical.

Maybe just for casual birding and enjoying life and nature, I would pick one of the Canaries or look into a place like Okinawa, where you can have diving as well.

The Caribbean would also give you lots of options for good migrants, vagrants and wintering birds, year-round diving and snorkeling, and the local endemics. Maybe one of the less-visited islands of the Bahamas? Or Providencia, which is politically part of Colombia.

Islands off the east coast of North America would also give you great year-round birding. Block Island maybe, or one of the islands of the Outer Banks in North Carolina? Or if you wanted the conforts of an urban lifestyle combined with good birding, technically New York City is on three small islands (Long Island, Manhattan, or Staten Island, take your pick...)

The way the discussion developed in this thread gave me an idea that I could use it to advertise an article about bird migration that has been developed by @Andy Hurley throughout the years. It also includes some maps created by @THE_FERN and features an overview of the most important flyways in the world, among many other topics.

I'd go for Waigeo, great endemic birds (still a couple we need), brilliant diving / snorkelling and some migration we saw some completely unexpected birds moving through.
If I had to see a bird every day then Wilson's BoP would be a good choice.

Attachments

• 20221006_164201.jpg
    20221006_164201.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
  • wilson on ground.JPG
    wilson on ground.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 14
  • wilson rear view.JPG
    wilson rear view.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
I remember reading this when I was young (probably still have it somewhere)

(Possibly a more modern take on Robinson Crusoe). On the basis that no major perils or diseases the idea of a minimally inhabited desert island type scenario definitely appeals. Forget about part-time migrant appeal - as long as it had reasonable diversity/chance of the unexpected, then overall climate when birding wasn't great (not sure I'd want to be on a Northern Isle the whole winter through) and other animal and plant groups for interest and a whole life style choice ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back