• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small Mystery Bird - Puerto Rico (1 Viewer)

Amut

My cat caught this. It's amazingly unhurt, and looks rather young - it still has a bare belly, growing feathers on the face, and doesn't seem to realize that hands are something to be afraid of. It has a very strong grip, so it's a perching bird, but I don't know what it is.

I wanted to let it rest and let it go, but it can't fly yet, so I may have to play the babysitter for a while.

http://i46.tinypic.com/5cka5v.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2iswnd4.jpg

Attachments

• 2iswnd4.jpg
    2iswnd4.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 5cka5v.jpg
    5cka5v.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 58
Actually, I had the opportunity to see a juvenile Greater Antillean Grackle the day before the cat brought this in. That bird fell from a nest in the sign of the building where I work. That one could fly, barely, but I got a very good look at it from close up because I walked up on it before I knew it was there. They're greyish-black and their skin is dark grey blue, and about twice the size of what I had on my hand when I took the photos.

Also, been studying the bird a bit more, it is extremely reluctant to do anything except cling and perch and when it tries to jump it moves both feet at once to bounce or land. It won't or can't walk the way a grackle can. It might be some other sort of corvid, but I doubt it's a grackle, it's much too small and the feet seem much better for perching than walking.

I was thinking it might be a spindalis (judging from what looks to be a line above the eye), but having had bananaquits in hand before (those flying in the house by accident), it seemed too big to be one. But then, I only learned about spindalis birds a few months ago, but I've never seen one live before. I wish there was some kind of good key to use. I have no idea how it's decided what determines each species.

If nothing else, can anyone give me any tips on what it might eat (judging from size and beak shape). I was able to get a few drops of water into it, but it held it's beak quite firmly closed and the process was hard, but not unlike feeding a pigeon squab.

Attachments

• 22jpmq.jpg
    22jpmq.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 24ook8p.jpg
    24ook8p.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 44
  • quiscale-noir-juv.jpg
    quiscale-noir-juv.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
The best thing you could do for this baby bird is to place it back outdoors on a tree branch. If the parents are around, they are likely to find it and feed it even if it's no longer at the nest.

If the bird is begging at you, you could try offering dog kibble soaked in water until it's a mushy consistency.

How is the bird doing?

I don't know nearly as much as I could wish about the identification of young birds either. Is Shiny Cowbird Molothrus bonariensis possible where you live?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back