• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Smartphone for opticron scope (1 Viewer)

pchc

United Kingdom
First-time user on here...hello everyone! Could anyone suggest a phone that would digiscope birds well with an Opticron MM3 60 with GA/45 + HDF 15-45x please? We know nothing about smartphones ( our mobiles are just phones for emergencies & as we are elderly don't need anything with whistles & bells...just something that will take a reasonable picture on a very limited budget ) but would welcome any suggestions people may have as to what might work well. Many thanks in anticipation!

First-time user on here...hello everyone! Could anyone suggest a phone that would digiscope birds well with an Opticron MM3 60 with GA/45 + HDF 15-45x please? We know nothing about smartphones ( our mobiles are just phones for emergencies & as we are elderly don't need anything with whistles & bells...just something that will take a reasonable picture on a very limited budget ) but would welcome any suggestions people may have as to what might work well. Many thanks in anticipation!
Hi pchc,

Simply, any phone which will take a photo, AND let you view the photo as it's being taken, will suffice. As mentioned in a similar thread:

1. Turn on phone and camera app
2. View the telescope eyepiece and its circle of light through the phone's screen
3. Move the phone down to the circle of light coming from the eyepiece until you can rest the camera lens on the eyecup
4. Press the camera app's shutter release

Practice a lot.
Carefully focus first.
Make sure the eyecups are fully extended.

I'm sure there are bargain phones in your High Street shops with reasonably good camera app's.

Hi pchc,

Simply, any phone which will take a photo, AND let you view the photo as it's being taken, will suffice. As mentioned in a similar thread:

1. Turn on phone and camera app
2. View the telescope eyepiece and its circle of light through the phone's screen
3. Move the phone down to the circle of light coming from the eyepiece until you can rest the camera lens on the eyecup
4. Press the camera app's shutter release

Practice a lot.
Carefully focus first.
Make sure the eyecups are fully extended.

I'm sure there are bargain phones in your High Street shops with reasonably good camera app's.
Thank you very much for your response~very much appreciated. I just wondered if there were any particular models that were preferable to aim for & any to avoid? Costwise on a limited pension, it would be of benefit if it was an older phone of course, but I wouldn't want to buy one that then didn't have the capacity to take a decent photo. I'd have to buy online as not near any High Street shops unfortunately...there may be some traders to avoid I expect. We will certainly practice once we find one...I'm sure that's key, thank you!

Thank you very much for your response~very much appreciated. I just wondered if there were any particular models that were preferable to aim for & any to avoid? Costwise on a limited pension, it would be of benefit if it was an older phone of course, but I wouldn't want to buy one that then didn't have the capacity to take a decent photo. I'd have to buy online as not near any High Street shops unfortunately...there may be some traders to avoid I expect. We will certainly practice once we find one...I'm sure that's key, thank you!
pchc, I'm in the US, but used to live in Gloucestershire. I'm not sure what phones are available to you. Your first choice will be to decide whether you want to go into the iPhone or Android world. The latter is probably less expensive. Beyond that, you might be best served by an online search for "best inexpensive smartphone 2022". There should be some reasonable recommendations out there for phones in the UK. Cheers!

pchc, I'm in the US, but used to live in Gloucestershire. I'm not sure what phones are available to you. Your first choice will be to decide whether you want to go into the iPhone or Android world. The latter is probably less expensive. Beyond that, you might be best served by an online search for "best inexpensive smartphone 2022". There should be some reasonable recommendations out there for phones in the UK. Cheers!
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply..especially all the way from the USA! We don't mind which we go for but didn't want to get one with the wrong configuration for a scope. Seems to be a wealth of zooms~some work & some don't work as well. I was just wondering whether anyone could recommend an older phone that would be cheaper to buy. You've been very kind to reply, thank you..Gloucestershire is a lovely part of the world to have lived in!

Things to consider are - if using an adapter, will your phone fit into it (some larger phones can be an issue). Is the camera corner or centrally placed (many adapters are very much designed for the former). Some users find cameras with a single lens much easier to line up than those that have a group of lenses (increasingly common).

Things to consider are - if using an adapter, will your phone fit into it (some larger phones can be an issue). Is the camera corner or centrally placed (many adapters are very much designed for the former). Some users find cameras with a single lens much easier to line up than those that have a group of lenses (increasingly common).
Thank you very much for your response~size & camera position hadn't occurred to me, in relation to an adapter. I'll have to check each phone to see if it's a single lens or multiple also. Going to be used by hubby in his 70s so suspect a simple single lens might be preferable. Appreciate your input very much, thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back