• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snow Goose? Leucistic Greylag? Domestic Duck? (1 Viewer)

pjacobs

United States
Hi all,

I saw three large white geese this morning at my local wetland in North Yorkshire, UK. The past week or so there are have been over 2000 migrating Greylags present on the water. This morning I saw three large white geese among the crowds, one by itself among the Greylags, and the other two (pictured) together. They were all about the size of Greylags.

I come here often and it's very normal to see large flocks of Greylags, and occasionally Pink Footed, Egyptian, Barnacle, and White Fronted Geese. especially in the autumn, but I've never seen white geese. If they are domestic they definitely aren't locals.

Are these snow geese? Or something else?

snowgeese3.JPG

Orange bill and orange legs are wrong for snow goose (Compare with greylag bill on the left ) , they have mainly pinkish legs and pinkish bill with larger grinning patch and black around the cuttingedges of the mandibles covering the grinning patch.

Shape of tertials and greater coversts is also different in snow goose , they are longer and pointier .

Compare with this white snow goose

your birds are typical greylag goose in these respects - only the color is off- so that might be due to a genetic miutation in a wild bird but could also be due to a cross weith a white domestic (greylag) goose.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back