• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snowy Owl in Indiana (in summer!) (1 Viewer)

Beverlybaynes

Mod Squad
A Snowy Owl has been seen in western Indiana for nearly two weeks now -- and I'm going to go Sunday to find it for myself!

For those who might be interested, it's at Exit 193 on I-65 N, north of Lafayette (and south of Remington), in White County. The 193 exit is the junction with 231. On the maps, this intersection appears to be in the middle of nowhere, but there is apparently a Dairy Queen there -- and the owl was seen atop the DQ sign just this morning, preening.

I'm leaving home this afternoon to head to southern Indiana for my family reunion, and would normally spend Sunday morning birding Muscatatuck NWR near Seymour, but as I have never seen a Snowy Owl before . . . change of plans!!

Apparently, this is not the first time there has been a Snowy record in summer in Indiana -- but this is undoubtedly a most unusual occurence. Snowys get pretty big play here in the winter -- there tends to be perhaps 1 or 2 about every winter -- but even with previous records, a Snowy in July/August is pretty amazing!!

I'm hoping, of course, that the bird will still be there Sunday, but am also hoping that this might be a precursor to an owl irruption year! I've made very tentative plans with some birding friends to drive up to Sault St. Marie, MI, on the Upper Peninsula, in mid-January, specifically for Snowys and Great Grays (and Snow Buntings and Merlins, with a tiny little wish for a Northern Hawk Owl and/or Gyrfalcon!).

I'll report in later -- with a successful find, I hope!

Good luck Beverly! I've only ever seen 3 snowies in my life.... 2 from a distance, and 1 at night. It sure would be fabulous if you get some photos of it too! :)

Enjoy your reunion.

Hi Beverly,

Just had the news about the Snowy Owl from friends in Indiana, they have been to see it twice... lucky them!! Hope you get the chance to see it for yourself!!

Bobbit

No joy, d@mn it!!

I got to the location about 9 am Sunday -- the bird was seen flying south about 8:30.

Four friends from Fort Wayne met me there (I had driven up from southern Indiana, where I had been to a family reunion the day before) and between their car and mine, and a car with two birders from Indiana State U in Terre Haute, we probably covered ALL of White County, Indiana, USELESSLY!!!!

I'm now FAR more intimately acquainted with White County than I would have ever thought necessary! Flat -- flat -- flat!!! And nuttin' but corn and beans.

I finally left about 4 p.m. after a couple hundred miles of searching.

Of course, a post on IN-BIRD overnight said the bird showed up again about 8:30 p.m. . . . . and I gotta work all week . . . <sniffling and pouting . . .>

Well, the hunt resumes. Four of us (3 of whom would get a lifer with this bird) will be heading out at 4:30 tomorrow afternoon in hopes of finding it. It's ONLY about 125 miles away . . . .

So, if you've any spare fingers, please cross 'em for us!

wooooHOOOOO!!!!

Success came at 6:40 p.m. this evening!!!!

I spotted the owl, atop a highway sign, before the car even came to a complete halt. I nearly fell out of the window!

We watched the bird for approximately two hours, flying from sign to sign, and back and forth across the interstate (dear god, they need to learn to fly higher!! He's an easy target, flying so low). We watched him stretch, preen and hunt, although unsuccessfully.

And seeing this very white adult male flying on those enormous wings in the failing summer light was just INCREDIBLE!!!!!

In driving up from my sister's in southern Indiana on Sunday to this location, driving all over White County attempting to locate him, the drive home, then the drive down there and back tonight makes this a 500-mile lifer for me.

And seeing this beautiful creature was worth every single mile!!! (oh, my achin' tuchis!)

Beverlybaynes said:
wooooHOOOOO!!!!

Success came at 6:40 p.m. this evening!!!
And seeing this very white adult male flying on those enormous wings in the failing summer light was just INCREDIBLE!!!!!

In driving up from my sister's in southern Indiana on Sunday to this location, driving all over White County attempting to locate him, the drive home, then the drive down there and back tonight makes this a 500-mile lifer for me.

And seeing this beautiful creature was worth every single mile!!! (oh, my achin' tuchis!)
:clap:

BRAVA! BRAVA!

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
Hi Beverly

Congratulations on the lifer and join the club! I saw my first ever Snowy Owl (three of them) last week although the habitat must have been slightly different, yours on a highway sign, mine on a rocky, sub-Arctic upland plateau.
I posted a thread on it last week here
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=20599

The other birds you mention for your proposed January trip, Hawk Owl and Great Gray Owl, are real music to my ears, but I've yet to see either. Need to go to Finland to see those, (or Michigan!). I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

E

Whee! Great news, Beverly!!! I went up there Tuesday morning at 11:30, and evidently didn't look even close to well enough! I saw nuttin' and nobody....so I figured all had packed up and 'flown' out! I'm so glad you got to see him....he truly is a magnificent fellow.

Congratulations Beverly, what a wonderful lifer you have, truly a magnificent bird. Certainly hope you have some good photos. You are so right about their dangerous flying habits along highways. So the Great Gray is next on your list is it? How far did you want to travel this time?? We have a pair near us that hunt in the late afternoons on the edge of a large muskeg area boarded by the highway. Again, congrats.

Oh, Yve --- I think Saskatchewan would be a teeny bit far for me!!

But we are planning a trip to the Upper Peninsula in mid-January -- IF I get a new parka this winter, that is! LOL!

And I completely forgot to mention that just as we were leaving the Snowy site and driving north for some dinner, a Great Horned Owl flew right across the road in front of the car! I was thrilled, as it's only the third one I've seen in the wild.

Congrats on the Snowy, Beverly... that must've been a fine sight.

Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to see one myself someday... but it will almost certainly be be more by luck than by judgement!

We were back in Indiana July 30 to August 2 for a nephew's wedding, but I did not know about the Snowy. We will be going back for another nephew's wedding October 9. If the owl is still about, we may have to try for it. I hope you got to see it.

My mom is in an assisted living complex in Milan and I have brothers and sisters in and around Dillsboro. As we were leaving Dillsboro on Highway 50 a Pileated Woodpecker flew across the highway in front of us. It was a good send off for our homeward journey back to Saint Joseph, MO.

The snowy owl is STILL in the vicinity of I65 and US 231 in mid-northern Indiana as of Tuesday, August 10!!! I am just amazed that the bird is still there and apparently in good shape!

Yesterday the owl was hard to see, according to the report, as it was sitting in a tree....but still present, nonetheless. Wow!

Sad news to report regarding the snowy owl in Indiana....it was hit by a car while crossing I-65 .....run over by several more cars, though not touched, but then hit by another car. The photographer from Cincinnati who has been keeping watch (so to speak!) over the owl managed to rescue it before any more damage was done.

The owl is at a wildlife rescue center and being cared for. It had, I believe, a broken wing and broken leg. Plus some broken new feathers....I cannot recollect exactly what that was about, but anyone interested can check out the report at
www.indianaaudubon.org and click on the word 'reading'.

I know that many of us just 'knew' this would happen sooner or later with all the flights back and forth over the interstate....the owl flew low....but still a sad development.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back