• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snypex Knight D ED Binoculars ? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
There is not much discussed here about Snypex binoculars.They still have a active website to order direct and I see Amazon and BH Photo are selling them now. My search tells me the company’s address is located in Valley Stream NY. Has anyone here had any interaction with Snypex Direct or thru Amazon/BH Photo having to do with a recent purchase of one of their Higer End - D ED Binoculars ?. I see BestBinocularsAwards.Com has rated these very good. I first came across these a few years ago right after they upgraded their Ed line to the D-ED. I almost pulled the trigger on their 10x32 D-ED binocular because of the BestBinocularsReviews.Com Review. I decided not to because of their $649 price tag at the time. Looking now at Amazon and B&H Photo prices, I see they are now being offered for $459. If you go to the Snypex website their D ED 10x32 is now on sale at even a bigger discount. At these prices they certainly must be a China sourced bin and once again I am tempted to pull the trigger.

There is not much discussed here about Snypex binoculars.They still have a active website to order direct and I see Amazon and BH Photo are selling them now. My search tells me the company’s address is located in Valley Stream NY. Has anyone here had any interaction with Snypex Direct or thru Amazon/BH Photo having to do with a recent purchase of one of their Higer End - D ED Binoculars ?. I see BestBinocularsAwards.Com has rated these very good. I first came across these a few years ago right after they upgraded their Ed line to the D-ED. I almost pulled the trigger on their 10x32 D-ED binocular because of the BestBinocularsReviews.Com Review. I decided not to because of their $649 price tag at the time. Looking now at Amazon and B&H Photo prices, I see they are now being offered for $459. If you go to the Snypex website their D ED 10x32 is now on sale at even a bigger discount. At these prices they certainly must be a China sourced bin and once again I am tempted to pull the trigger.

To the extent helpful, I've had the the Snypex 8x32 D ED for several years. Very nicely built, ultra compact for a 32, smooth even focus, good hinge tension, good ER, good CF and reasonably competitive IQ at the $459 price. It seems the most significant compromises for the compact design are a FOV 6.5 degrees or 340' and a somewhat limited AFOV as a result. Both compromises were acceptable to me in view of the other good qualities (including glare is fairly well controlled for an ultra small and short 8x32). However the FOV of the 10x32 is listed as 288' and that was just too low for me to consider in even a very compact 10x32.

Handling is reasonably good for my M/L hands and it would probably handle very nicely for someone with smaller hands.

Still even at $459 the 8x32 may be slightly overpriced unless the 4mm EP for ease of eye placement would be preferred as opposed to the 3.1 of a mid to high priced 8x25. If relevant note for example that the extra EP does not result in a brighter image even in low light when compared to a SW or Zeiss VP 8x25.

Mike

To the extent helpful, I've had the the Snypex 8x32 D ED for several years. Very nicely built, ultra compact for a 32, smooth even focus, good hinge tension, good ER, good CF and reasonably competitive IQ at the $459 price. It seems the most significant compromises for the compact design are a FOV 6.5 degrees or 340' and a somewhat limited AFOV as a result. Both compromises were acceptable to me in view of the other good qualities (including glare is fairly well controlled for an ultra small and short 8x32). However the FOV of the 10x32 is listed as 288' and that was just too low for me to consider in even a very compact 10x32.

Handling is reasonably good for my M/L hands and it would probably handle very nicely for someone with smaller hands.

Still even at $459 the 8x32 may be slightly overpriced unless the 4mm EP for ease of eye placement would be preferred as opposed to the 3.1 of a mid to high priced 8x25. If relevant note for example that the extra EP does not result in a brighter image even in low light when compared to a SW or Zeiss VP 8x25.

Mike
Thanks Mike for your thoughts. After my initial remarks I looked some more on the internet for some pictures of the backside of the hinges on the Snypex D ED versions. No indication of the country of origin, just what appears to be some sort of serial number. It appears that you did get a good Specimen. I also noticed some sites that did carry Snypex at one time, now do not indicating no longer available or discontinued. I ordered the 10x32 D ED directly from Snypex. For how we would use these the small FOV would not be a issue. Their price was significantly lower than Amazon/BH Photo at $299.94 shipped. Your model the 8x32 D ED is just $10 more than what I paid. At this price I am willing to take a chance with my curiosity and hopefully get a good sample.

Gcole
You are most welcome. I did check but forgot to mention In my first post: looking everywhere on the binoculars themselves, in the paperwork and on the box there is no indication of country of origin and I therefore presume MIC. Further, at least when I bought mine several years ago the only indication anywhere that they were the new D-ED Version as opposed to the previous ED Version was contained in barcode stickers on both the backside and one side of the outer box cover and on two sides of the inner box. On the inside of the lid of the inner box there is a very small added sticker which matches the serial number on the bins themselves. Of course the packaging may have changed or been updated in the interim.

If you are inclined when you receive them I would like to have the benefit of your thoughts on the 10 x 32 model and hope you get a good sample.

Mike

Last edited:
Gcole
You are most welcome. I did check but forgot to mention In my first post: looking everywhere on the binoculars themselves, in the paperwork and on the box there is no indication of country of origin and I therefore presume MIC. Further, at least when I bought mine several years ago the only indication anywhere that they were the new D-ED Version as opposed to the previous ED Version was contained in barcode stickers on both the backside and one side of the outer box cover and on two sides of the inner box. On the inside of the lid of the inner box there is a very small added sticker which matches the serial number on the bins themselves. Of course the packaging may have changed or been updated in the interim.

If you are inclined when you receive them I would like to have the benefit of your thoughts on the 10 x 32 model and hope you get a good sample.

Mike
I assumed they were sourced from China or maybe the Philippines. We only have a Cherry pair of the Meopta Meostar B1.1 8x32 now. I will use those to be the reference of what the Clarity/Sharpness to be. Build Quality obviously would not be a fair comparison going against the Meostar. Hopefully if we do receive a good specimen, we will be able to comment on some good surprises agreeing with what I have read on the BestBinocularsReview site regarding the review of the Snypex 10x32 D ED.

Gcole

Mike
We received these about 2 weeks ago. BestBinocularsReview.com were pretty much spot on with their review except for their eye relief and because of this we are in the process of trying to return these for a refund with a dispute pending with our credit card company. If you want to buy a Snypex binocular do not buy direct from Snypex. Their website is unresponsive. I have started the topic here about the problems we are having . Buy from one of the other online retailers, not direct from Snypex.

Sorry to hear. Out of curiosity I checked the specs as listed on B&H indicating 17.5 mm ER. Do you think that spec is accurate based on your experience? The 8x model is listed as 16.8 ER and works well with my glasses but I can get full FoV down to @ 14mm. Good luck with the dispute.

Mike

Mike, with all the binoculars I have purchased over the internet online these were the least useable for me according to Snypex’s eye relief spec’s. They also have the smallest eye lens I have ever encountered in a 32mm objective binocular which I am sure did not help with their view. Even my significant other who’s eye glass prescription lens is even thinner than mine complained about the eye relief. I was going to give a short review of what we thought about these optically but because we can not properly use these with our glasses on I will not. I can say that the focus speed is super fast before the image starts to focus. Nice tension, smooth no issues. Looks to be built very well, handling these gives the same impression. Clear tubes/clean. The smallest 8x32mm Bino I have ever handled. I would even go as far to say these will fit in most jacket pockets. The finish on these is very high considering these are not made by the top three or Japan. All the packaging, including the carry case, strap, lens cover very nice. We paid $299.94 direct from Snypex, saving $125 over all the other online prices. Best price but very bad dealing with them direct. If they had worked for us, it would have been a super great deal.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back