• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Solo chaffinch (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I have a single chaffinch ( I think) that's chirping away on my roof. I've just started to work up in my loft and for the last two days they've been there almost constantly on their own chirping away. I know zero about birds so just wondered if this was normal behaviour or would you expect them to be with a chum/friends.

Thanks,

Hi LeytonstoneChaffinch and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It could be that it's the male of a pair who is singing to announce his territory. Chaffinches don't nest in the roof, but Ken is more likely to be right that it's a House Sparrow... they chat away happily all the time.

They will nest in gaps in the eaves or under the roof tiles, but not (so far as I know) inside the loft space itself, so you shouldn't be putting the nest at risk, though if you could keep the noise down and reduce the activity a bit until after the breeding season, it would help this at risk species complete their family.

Perhaps, next year, you could put up some nest boxes for them - check the RSPB website for House Sparrow nest boxes for more details on that. You could even put a nest box camera in one and watch the activity (much more addictive than television LOL)

You can read more about House Sparrows and Chaffinches in our Opus section.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thanks for your replies. I don't think it's nesting. Just sitting on the roof. My office is in my loft so I'm just sat here quietly looking out the window at my new friend. If you can confirm which bird this is from this picture that would be great!

Attachments

• 20230516_092559.jpg
    20230516_092559.jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230516_092614.jpg
    20230516_092614.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 5
No, defitinitely a House Sparrow (Chaffinches are much more colourful!!) Compare the pictures in the links I gave you. Male Chaffinch head is blue-grey and the body rusty red. The song is quite different, nothing like the "chirp" you are hearing. You can listen to their calls on the links above.

The male House Sparrow is streaky brown and black with a black bib. The chirping is a diagnostic contact call. They will feed the female; later helping to feed the young. They love meal worms if you can provide them. They nest in colonies for protection (many eyes to spot a Sparrowhawk).

I have a lot to learn.
As have we all LOL. Every day is a school day on here.

You could have a look at the pictures in the Gallery (one of the ways I started). Look at a picture and try to work out what it is without looking at the title, before opening it up for a better view (have another guess). See if you're right.

I used to pick a few each day and gradually I got my eye in.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits. That is definitely a house sparrow. 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back