• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some additional etymological information – Part IV (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a fourth list of some small additional information regarding the Etymology of ten various Bird Names that I´ve happened to stumble upon trying to understand various Swedish Bird Names … for your sake (as well as I can?) in English.

As far as I understand the following birds commemorates the following … :

No. 1 – "edwardsi" in …
● the strongly debated "subspecie" (?) Dactylortyx thoracicus chiapensis/"edwardsi" WARNER & HARRELL 1957: "We name this race for Ernest P. Edwards."
= US ornithologist, ecologist, field naturalist, teacher, lecturer and administrator Dr. Ernest P. Edwards (1919–2011), among friends known as "Buck".

No. 2 – randrianasoloi in …
● Cryptic warbler Cryptosylvicola randrianasoloi GOODMAN ET AL 1996
= the Malagasy multi-talented biologist, collector, guide and interpreter, as well as Park Director; Georges Randrianasolo (circa 1930–1989).

Also commemorated in; Randrianasolo’s Sportive Lemur Lepilemur randrianasoloi (ANDRIAHOLINIRINA et al. 2006; HOFFMANN et al. 2009). More on him in a forthcoming article by Olivier Langrand (Draft 2014): "Georges Randrianasolo (circa 1930 - 1989) – Malagasy botanist, entomologist, ornithologist and mammalogist". Be on the look-out!

No. 3 – nahani in …
● Nahan's Francolin (Francolinus/Ptilopachus/Acentrortyx) Pternistis nahani DUBOIS 1905 a k a "Nahan's Forest Francolin" or "Nahan's Partridge"
= the Belgian Commandant, army officer, explorer and collector Captain Paul François Joseph Nahan (1867–1930).

This Paul Nahan was born the 5th of November 1867, in the little village Ruette, in Virton southernmost Belgium. He enlisted, only sixteen years old, and served three times in Belgian Congo; 1891–1894, 1895–1899 and 1901–1904. It was during his third term that he discovered and collected the holotype, a female specimen, of this "his" Francolin. Mr. Nahan died on the 5th of May 1930, in his home-town Ruette.

No. 4 – wardi/wardii in …
● Ward's Trogon Harpactes wardi KINNEAR 1927
= the British explorer and collector Francis Kingdon Ward (18851958), among those who knew him known as "Frank".

● Pied Thrush (Geokichla) Zoothera wardii BLYTH 1843 a k a "Ward’s Thrush"
= the British Colonial administrator: Samuel Neville Ward (18131897), stationed in India between 1832 and 1863.

● Ward's Shrike-flycatcher Pseudobias wardi SHARPE 1870 a k a "Ward’s Flycatcher"
= the fairly unknown (at least among ornithologist's) British entomologist Christopher Ward (1836–1900), from the wool- and textile city Halifax, in west Yorkshire, England.

No. 5 – derbiana/derbianus in …
● Chestnut-tipped Toucanet Aulacorhynchus derbianus Gould 1835 (Synonymous with "Psittacula derbiana")
= the British Noble, zoologist, museologist, land-owner and politician ”Lord Derby” – whose "original" name was Edward Smith-Stanley (1775–1851), from 1834 titled 13th Earl of Derby, who had a large private collection of various Naturalia.

No. 6 – dodsoni in …
● Dodson's Bulbul Pycnonotus (barbatus) dodsoni SHARPE 1895 a k a "Dodson's Common Bulbul"
● the so called ”Cisticola dodsoni” SHARPE 1895 (synonymous with C. nana FISCHER & REICHENOW 1884 ... ?)
● and the questioned sub-species "Lanius algeriensis dodsoni" WHITAKER 1898 (of today's Lanius meriodinalis algeriensis LESSON 1839) according to NHM: "collected and presented by E. Dodson".
= the fairly unknown British adventurer, taxidermist and collector Edward Dodson (1873–1948), who on assignment from the British Museum explored the Fauna in large parts of Africa together Donaldson Smith. He later also visited Patagonia … etc. etc. The same Edward Dodson is also commemorated in for example, the African toad ”Bufo dodsoni” BOULENGER 1895: ”This species ... is named after Mr. E. Dodson, who accompanied Dr. Donaldson Smith as taxidermist.”

Not to be confused with (which often has been done) with his younger brother, whose commemorated in:
● the sub-species Burhinus capensis dodsoni OGILVIE-GRANT1899, described after a similar expedition to Southern Arabia "… undertaken by Mr. A Blayney Percival and the late Mr. W. Dodson".
= the even less known British explorer and collector W. Dodson (xxxx–1899), that died in Aden, Yemen, in 1899.

No. 7 – ducorpsi/ducorpsii in …
● Solomon Corella Cacatua ducorpsii PUCHERAN 1853 (sometimes written C. ducorpsi) a k a "Ducorps’s Cockatoo", "Ducorps' Cockatoo" or "Ducorps's cackatoo" as well as "Ducrops's Cockatoo" and "Durcorp's Cockatoo"!?
= the unknown French Naval officer, adjutant (Commis de marine de trosième classe), explorer and collector Louis Jacques Ducorps (1811–xxxx), who explored large part of the Pacific during admiral Dumont d’Urville's South Pole expedition 1837–1840.

No. 8 – dumontii in …
● Yellow-faced Myna Mino dumontii LESSON 1827
= the father-in-law to Lesson: the French Noble, lawyer, zoologist and amateur ornithologist; Charles Henri Frédéric Dumont de Sainte-Croix (1758–1830), whose Noble name sometimes is written without hyphen as; de Sainte Croix.

No. 9 – renauldi in …
● Coral-billed Ground-cuckoo Carpococcyx renauldi OUSTALET 1896 a k a "Renauld's Ground-cuckoo "
= the French missionary Père Jean Nicolas Renauld (18391898), who left France in 1867 for Hue, in French Indochina – and he never returned. His Christian names are sometimes written Jean-Nicolas (with hyphen).

No. 10 – nevermanni in …
● Grey-crowned Munia Lonchura nevermanni STRESEMANN 1934
= the (fairly unknown among ornithologists , but well-known in his respective fields!) German ethnologist, anthropologist, researcher of Oriental Languages, oceanographer, pre-historian and author of Travel Stories; Dr. Hans Paul Friedrich Wilhelm Nevermann (1902–1982), who mainly collected ethnological items and exotic Words (and at least two species of birds, the other one was Black munia L. stygia) on New Guinea, in 1933 – during a two year Expedition (1933-1934) to New Guinea and Melanesia (incl. Loyalty Islands, New Hebrides and New Caledonia). More on Hans Nevermann, see the following links to; Neue Deutsche Biographie 19 (1998) or German Wikipedia

Anyone of a different view?

And just for the fun of it ... (attached) a photo of the latter; Hans Nevermann.

Björn Bergenholtz, Stockholm, Sweden

PS. Don´t hesitate to prove me wrong. Any additional info regarding these etymologies are warmly welcomed! And; if I you feel like adding something, please clearly state which one you are commenting on … just to avoid confusion.

Attachments

• Hans Nevermann.jpg
    Hans Nevermann.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Not to be confused with (which often has been done) with his younger brother, whose commemorated in:
● the sub-species Burhinus capensis dodsoni OGILVIE-GRANT1899, described after a similar expedition to Southern Arabia "… undertaken by Mr. A Blayney Percival and the late Mr. W. Dodson".
= the even less known British explorer and collector W. Dodson (xxxx–1899), that died in Aden, Yemen, in 1899.

Burhinus capensis dodsoni Ogilvie-Grant, 1899 OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:​

Burhinus capensis dodsoni Ogilvie-Grant, 1899 [Alt. Spotted Dikkop ssp.] W. Dodson (1873–1948), brother of Edward Dodson (q.v.) was a traveller, collector and taxidermist on the Royal Society expedition to Arabia (1899) with Blayney Percival, as well as in tropical Africa. He died of fever in Aden.

I have no clue what his first name was but agree to Björn death 1899 as the article starts with:

Mr. Grant further described a new species of Thick-knee from Southern Arabia, obtained during the recent expedition undertaken by Mr. A. Blayney Percival and the late Mr. W. Dodson.

If born in 1873 I have some doubts (but possible). Maybe an easy case for Paul?

William Dodson

Birth: 18 Nov 1874 • St Pancras, Middlesex, England

Death: 20 Oct 1899 Aden, Yemen

His brother was Edward Dodson
Birth 01 NOV 1872
• St Pancras, Middlesex
Death: 14 Jun 1947 • Somerset, England

One book has him as Joseph Edward but this is incorrect.

Parents:

Alexander Dodson

Coachbuilder
1843–1898
BIRTH OCTOBER 1843 • Hoxton, Middlesex, England
DEATH 03 JUN 1898 • Hampstead, Middlesex, England

Emma Hutchinson
1848–1926
BIRTH 26 AUG 1848 • Islington middlesex England
DEATH 25 SEP 1926 • Hampstead, London, England

P

Last edited:
Paul, except for the matching names, and their apparent relationship/brotherhood (of course), what links into Ornithology did you find for those certain guys?

At this point I (still) have "Edward Dodson (1873–1948)" in my MS, as commemorated in ...

dodsoni as in:
• Dodson's Bulbul Pycnonotus (barbatus) dodsoni SHARPE 1895, a k a "Dodson's Common Bulbul" (and/alt. dodsonbulbyl, in Swedish, hence my particular interest)
• ... as well as (even if only in my notes) in the other taxa listed in post #1 (No.6).

And, are you sure of 'William Dodson', who died "20 Oct 1899", that he died in Aden, (in today's Yemen)? Everything I'd found back in, (or/and prior to) 2014, suggested that such was the case.

Please, enlighten us, that you've truly got the two proper Dodson's.

Björn

Last edited:
Well they have the same parents, one died in Aden and the other is in this family photo. Photo of memorial online has both parents and Williams names and dates. Difficult to know what else you could want. P1611057295717.png1611055915330.png

Last edited:
Paul, this is what I read this morning ...
William Dodson

Death: 20 Oct 1899

And this is what I read now:
William Dodson

Death: 20 Oct 1899 Aden, Yemen

Though, now, with the added "Aden, Yemen" I think it's far easier to agree.

If dear William would have died elsewhere I would have kept on being sceptical (or at least very puzzled).

Peace and concurrence, serenity rules.

(y)

Björn

PS. What's the second picture in post #5? On my screen I can only see a yellowish stripe.
And the photo of the grave stone is unreadable (just pixels if zoomed in at).

Any chance of posting new ones? Or maybe a link, or/alt. links?

Had not thought it was necessary to add "Aden" as the link I posted gave a graphic account of the circumstances surrounding his death :). To prevent further skepticism I will be posting my research on the LDS webpages.

BTW, Aden was not part of Yemen then but part of "the Bombay Presidency"

Sorry the photo of the grave is the best I can do from the family website. A grave with Alexanders and his wide with Edwards name and date of death added.

Thanks, Paul, for fixing (restore/repair) the nice Photo of Dodson! (even if not so 'nice' for the Lion, of course) ...

Do you know which one of the Brothers it depicts?

And, which "family website" are you referring to? The one with: "A grave with Alexanders and his wide with... " :rolleyes:

I couldn't find such Photo (or any other Photos what-so-ever, for that matter) on the FamilySearch page/link you added?

In any case, now we've suddenly have them both!

dodsoni as in:
• Dodson's Bulbul Pycnonotus (barbatus) dodsoni SHARPE 1895, a k a "Dodson's Common Bulbul" (and/alt. dodsonbulbyl, in Swedish)[... as well as in those other taxa listed in post #1 (No.6)]
= the British adventurer, taxidermist and collector Edward Dodson (18721947), and onwards (as earlier told, or shown, in this thread)

... except for:
• the subspecies Burhinus capensis dodsoni OGILVIE-GRANT 1899
= the British explorer and collector William Dodson (18741899), younger Brother of the above.

Correct?

If so, many thanks to Paul, for the info (and the rectification/s of their years). (y)

Thanks also to Martin, for reawakening this old thread, which ended up far better. (y)

Björn

PS. Paul, maybe I'm stupid, but what are the/those; "LDS webpages"?

Last edited:
No. 4 – wardi/wardii in …

● Ward's Shrike-flycatcher Pseudobias wardi SHARPE 1870 a k a "Ward’s Flycatcher"
= the fairly unknown (at least among ornithologist's) British entomologist Christopher Ward (1836–1900), from the wool- and textile city Halifax, in west Yorkshire, England.

OD here

I name this species after Mr. C. Ward, of Halifax, under whose auspices Mr. Crossley's investigations have been carried on.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Shrike-flycatcher Pseudobias wardi Sharpe, 1870 [Alt. Ward's Flycatcher]
Christopher Ward (DNF) was an English naturalist whose chief interest was entomology. He was also a collector and sponsored Alfred Crossley's (q.v.) expedition to Madagascar. The type specimen of the shrike-flycatcher was acquired by Crossley. Ward wrote African Lepidoptera, Being Descriptions of New Species published in three parts (1873–1875), which contained descriptions of at least 55 new species.

The old key:
Charles Slegg Ward (fl. 1886) English sponsor of expedition to Madagascar (Pseudobias).

No idea if Christoph or Charles Slegg but also tend to Christopher Ward.

I can see no reason to think it's Charles Slegg he was a curate who spent his entire life in Surrey and was not a wealthy sponsor:

NameCharles Slegg Ward
BirthMay 29, 1840
DeathApr. 25, 1913

No. 9 – renauldi in …
● Coral-billed Ground-cuckoo Carpococcyx renauldi OUSTALET 1896 a k a "Renauld's Ground-cuckoo "
= the French missionary Père Jean Nicolas Renauld (18391898), who left France in 1867 for Hue, in French Indochina – and he never returned. His Christian names are sometimes written Jean-Nicolas (with hyphen).

Nothing sensational new just what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Renauld's Ground Cuckoo Carpococcyx renauldi Oustalet, 1896 [Alt. Coral-billed Ground Cuckoo]
Father J. N. Renauld (1839–1898) was a French missionary in Vietnam. His many specimens of Vietnamese fauna and flora collected in Quang Tri province (1869–1896) were used to found the Vietnamese Natural History Museum (1896). Oustalet (q.v.) described Edwards's Pheasant Lophura edwardsi (1896). Oustalet (q.v.) described Edwards's Pheasant Lophura edwardsi (1896).

M. Jean-Nicolas RENAULD, né à Anderny (Meurthe-et-Moselle) le 1er mai 1839, missionnaire en Cochinchine septentrionale en 1867, mort à Tourane (Annam) le 11 mars 1898.

Last edited:
No. 7 – ducorpsi/ducorpsii in …
● Solomon Corella Cacatua ducorpsii PUCHERAN 1853 (sometimes written C. ducorpsi) a k a "Ducorps’s Cockatoo", "Ducorps' Cockatoo" or "Ducorps's cackatoo" as well as "Ducrops's Cockatoo" and "Durcorp's Cockatoo"!?
= the unknown French Naval officer, adjutant (Commis de marine de trosième classe), explorer and collector Louis Jacques Ducorps (1811–xxxx), who explored large part of the Pacific during admiral Dumont d’Urville's South Pole expedition 1837–1840.
OK the plate here 1846 [February] according (Clark et al. 2000) and text here (1853)

BTW, the 1853 bird names are nowadays usually attributed to Pucheran alone, despite H. Jacquinot was made an author on the title page. (Based on the introduction, it would appear that Jacquinot had ceased working on zoology at the time the work was written; his main contribution was to pass manuscript notes to Pucheran. Pucheran then latinized the names used in the atlas, and wrote the texts using Jacquinot's notes as one of his sources.)

Ducorps's Corella Cacatua ducorpsii Pucheran, 1853 [Alt. Ducorps's Cockatoo, Solomons Cockatoo]
Louis-Jaques Ducorps (1811–c.1858) was an explorer for the French navy. He was administrator on board the French vessel L'Astrolabe during her circumnavigation (1822–1825) under the command of Dumont d'Urville.

The Key to Scientific Names
Adjutant Louis Jacques Ducorps (fl. 1858) French Navy, purser, explorer (Cacatua (ex “Kakatoës de Ducorps” of Hombron & Jacquinot 1845)).

According here Jacques Louis Ducorps (1811 - 1892)
Né le 12 février 1811 à SAINT PIAT (Eure et Loire) - Décédé le 25 juin 1892 à La Tublerie, SABLONCEAUX (Charente maritime)

Haven't checked archive en ligne if correct. Take it for what's worth.

Haven't checked archive en ligne if correct.
birth: here, 270/354
death: here, 194/277
in Léonore: here.
The dates and locations are correct. He died as a "Commissaire de la Marine en retraite".

(FWIW, note that Hombron & Jacquinot 1845 (fide Pucheran) / 1846 (secundum Clark & Crosnier) used "Cacatois", not "Kakatoës".)

Last edited:
No. 1 – "edwardsi" in …
● the strongly debated "subspecie" (?) Dactylortyx thoracicus chiapensis/"edwardsi" WARNER & HARRELL 1957: "We name this race for Ernest P. Edwards."
= US ornithologist, ecologist, field naturalist, teacher, lecturer and administrator Dr. Ernest P. Edwards (1919–2011), among friends known as "Buck".

Ernest Preston Edwards here but already in the key.

Re. Ducorps's Corella/Cockatoo Cacatua ducorpsii Pucheran, 1853
OK the plate here 1846 [February] according (Clark et al. 2000) and text here (1853)

The Key to Scientific Names

According here Jacques Louis Ducorps (1811 - 1892)

Haven't checked archive en ligne if correct. Take it for what's worth.

birth: here, 270/354
death: here, 194/277
in Léonore: here.
The dates and locations are correct. He died as a "Commissaire de la Marine en retraite".

(FWIW, note that Hombron & Jacquinot 1845 (fide Pucheran) / 1846 (secundum Clark & Crosnier) used "Cacatois", not "Kakatoës".)

But ... without understanding French I simply have to ask (as this guy, and "his" Cockatoo/Corella) is included in my MS):

Wasn't this eponym/guy already solved (in Paul's post #13) ... ?

What's new in post #17, an #18?

Any contradictories?

:unsure:

Björn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back