• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some additional etymological information – Part VIII (1 Viewer)

So he was at the University of Paris to make his doctor.
Note that Achille Richard's dedication makes them both doctors:
Memoriae Richard Quartin Dillon et Antonii Petit doctorum e facultate medicinae parisiensi.
= "To the memory of Richard Quartin Dillon and Antoine Petit doctors from the Parisian faculty of medicine".

That they were doctors of medicine is also indicated on the title pages of the various volumes of Voyage en Abyssinie exécuté pendant les années 1839, etc., e.g., this one -
A. PETIT et QUARTIN-DILLON, Docteurs-Médecins, Naturalistes du Muséum

If correct, then could this (1836) be him ?

Last edited:
Petit published this in 1839.
(See the footnote on the first page, which states he is a young doctor and has been sent to Abyssinia; this publication is referenced as his ("notre Mémoire spécial"), in the "Notes médicales du docteur A. Petit", in the second volume of Voyage en Abyssinie, exécuté pendant les années 1839, etc., here.)

This (Nov 1838), stating that he was soon to go to Abyssinia, and that he had been to Naples a year before, is also about him.

As a consequence, this (Aug 1837), stating that he had departed to Naples, is certainly about him as well. (Note that this also states that he was a former intern of Paris hospitals, which matches the author of 1836 thesis I linked above.)

Last edited:
Yes thats a good question Mark. I have encountered this addition of a surname a couple of times with Portuguese

This website gives heaps of extra info. His thesis was submitted three years after A-H Petit.

However I now wonder if the family got the parents right...

This couple seems much more likely to be the parents. Perhaps he was brought up or adopted by his uncle after.his mother died in childbirth and Edward Dillion died in 1825. This does make you wonder who the "father" disputing the will in the other record actually was. Assume all these documents are available online.

If only we could find Petits birth. Just a simple mention of his town of birth (i.e. "Parisienne") would at least clinch him...

Last edited:
If Dr. Gissot was Petit's Mother's brother that name is mostly from the Pyrenees?
Gibraltar is the most likely place to be from having a Spanish surname melded with a British surname.

I have now seen Edward Dillions will. He and his "loving wife" apparently died without issue. He gave all his worldly goods to his wife (who was still alive) and his nieces and nephews. I believe that Dr Quartin-Dillon was the legitimate son of Pedro (E)manuel QUARTIN and probably attached his name to Dillons to honour his uncle's memory and keep the family name "alive" about 1837 when Maria Ana died and left all her money to him! As you can see in the website links attached the family was Portuguese and French and most were born in Gibraltar - hence the ability of Quartin-Dillon to learn medicine at the Sorbonne. Dillon's aristocratic Roman Catholic family were also massive Francophiles.

Attachments

• 40611_311445-00046.jpg
    40611_311445-00046.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 40611_311445-00045.jpg
    40611_311445-00045.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
about 1837 when Maria Ana died
I think quite likely 9 Feb 1837 in Paris (11th Arrondissement) here, 47/51.
Her residence in 1826 was in Paris according to the text that follows the transcription of Edward's will. ("APPEARED personally Mary Ann Dillon of Paris but formerly of St Mary Axe in the parish of St Andrew under Shaft London and late of the city of Lisbon" [...] On the first day of April 1826 said Mary Ann Dillon was duly sworn to the truth of this affidavit".)
I assume it is conceivable that Quartin-Dillon stayed at her place while he was studying ?

I was a bit intrigued by "Richard Lion Quartin" appearing (as a witness, if I'm reading this word correctly) on the will... But the Geneanet website also lists a "Ricardo Leon Quartin" among Marie Anne's siblings, so I presume this may have been him. ("Our" Richard Léon should not have been in age to sign a testament in 1816.)

No. 9 – gierowii in …
● Black Bishop Euplectes gierowii CABANIS 1880 a k a "Gierow's Bishop" or "Angola Black Bishop" (i. e. E. g. gierowii);
= the fairly unknown German architect, traveller and collector (of both Naturalia and ethnographical items) Paul Gierow (xxxxxxxx).

Paul Gierow was born on the island Rügen (that belonged to Sweden 1648–1814, so he could, might have been of Swedish Heritage, as he´s been claimed to be Swedish in some sources?). Gierow travelled and collected in Angola – together with Otto Schütt (1843–1888)* on at least two Schüttsche Expeditionen; in 1877–1879 and 1881–1883. On the first Expedition they visited Melange (Melanje) twice, where the type specimen is collected. Cabanis described this species in Journal für Ornithologie 28: pp. 105-109, after he had examined the collections of the same Otto Schütt. On p. 106 he states that it is named after the companion of Mr. Schütt; the traveller G i e r o w". Link to full volume (here).

*commemorated in, for example; Black-billed Turaco Tauraco schuettii CABANIS 1879 as "Corythaix Schüttii"

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Gierow's Bishop Euplectes gierowii Cabanis, 1880 [Alt. Black Bishop]
Paul Gierow (DNF) was a German naturalist who collected in Angola (late 1870s).

Maybe a next try to find his life dates. Here something else he collected. It might help to find him as he came from Rügen according here and was an architect.

Er wurde von dem Architekten Paul Gierow aus Rügen begleitet, über dessen Aufgaben bei diesem Unternehmen und sonstigen Lebensweg nichts weiter bekannt ist

Paul Magnus Gustav Gierow (1840-) he was German his parents were from Berlin and Bremen.

Birth Date16. Okt 1840 (16 Oct 1840)
Marriage Date29. Okt 1884 (29 Oct 1884)

Attachments

• K_1722_080481-0373.jpg
    K_1722_080481-0373.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 41910_prep808_000327-00195.jpg
    41910_prep808_000327-00195.jpg
    681.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Not a typo - a direct quote from a family website linked that has that date. As you will read subsequent discussion assertained that it was actually 1843 and Laurent identified what maybe the exact spot.

The Key to Scientific Names on
petiti
Louis Petit (1856-1943) French naturalist, collector in Cabinda Enclave and the lower Congo 1876-1884 (Campephaga, syn. Euplectes hordeaceus, syn. Himantornis haematopus, subsp. Psalidoprocne pristoptera, syn. Pternistis squamatus).

So to most of them I agree but not syn: Euplectes hordeaceus as

Loxia (Euplectes) Petiti Prevost & Desmurs, 1845 OD here and plate
(not sure about the publishing history of Voyage en Abyssinie exécuté pendant les années 1839, 1840, 1841, 1842, 1843 par une commission scientifique composée de MM. Théophile Lefebure lieutenant de vaisseau, A. Petit et Quartin-Dillon docteur-médecins naturalistes du muséum, Vignaud dessinateur. Publié par ordre du Roi. Quatrième Partie, Histoire naturelle. Zoologie. Tome 6)

Better people than me have looked for Antoine Petit's origins for 150 years. What I have found is that they agree on the date of his death (3rd of June 1843) but there is disagreement about how and where he died with some accounts saying the Abay (Blue Nile) some saying the Nile and most saying the Tekezé River . All are admittedly tributes of the same system but it makes you wonder. Also, most say he died eaten by a crocodile but 1-2 from the 1840s say he simply drowned.
Could be that he was born 1804 here p. 7/51 (but of couse no evidence.

The rest seems to be OK

Campephaga petiti Oustalet, 1884 OD here
M. Petit, qui vient de rentrer en France, a obtenu à Landana, et dans D#autre localités du Congo, toute une série D'oiseaux qu j'ai pu examiner, et parmi laqueles J'ai rencontré les espèces suivantes qui me paraissent nouvelles pour la science
Psalidoprocne petiti Sharpe & Bouvier, 1876 OD here and plate
Francolinus petiti Bocage, 1879 OD here
Psammocrex petiti Oustalet, 1884 OD here

Anyway his full name was Louis Victor Joseph Petit here (Cote E_NUM_MON81) p. 95/126 b. 4 October 1856 in Montrouge.

Louis PETIT (1856-1943) Louis Petit naquit à Montrouge le 4 octobre 1856, l'aîné d'une famille de treize enfants, ce pourquoi il avait coutume de signer

In Hommes et destins: dictionnaire biographique d'outre-mer, we can read:

Louis Petit Ainé. Son père, Pierre-Toussaint Petit était taxidermiste à Paris. Dès son jeune âge, Louis Petit apprend le métier de naturaliste auprès de son père, puis chez M. Bouvier qui finança la célèbre expé dition de Marche et de Compiègne dans l'Ogooué et qui sera, plus tard, le créateur de la Société Zoologique.
Louis Petit qui veut voyager , demande son émancipation . Son père le déclare émancipé devant greffier , à l'âge de seize ans . Quelques mois plus tard , le 20 octobre 1873 , il s'embarque pour le Sénégal . Il hasse les oiseaux exotiques en Casamance pour le compte de la maison Bouvier , mais , malade , il doit retourner en France en juillet 1874.

Il repartira à la fin de l'année 1875 , mais cette fois - ci à destination de l'Afrique de l'Afrique équatoriale . Il débarque à Landana dans l'actuelle enclave de Cabinda où il se liera avec les missionnaires du SaintEsprit , en particulier avec Mgr Augouard avec qui il échangera une importante correspondance . De Landana , où il établit sa résidence , il rayonne pour chasser les gorilles et tous les animaux exotiques qu'il peut rencontrer , qu'il envoie par la suite à divers muséums et naturalistes européens . Il sillonne toute la région de...

Last edited:
Paul Magnus Gustav Gierow (1840-) he was German his parents were from Berlin and Bremen.

Birth Date16. Okt 1840 (16 Oct 1840)
Marriage Date29. Okt 1884 (29 Oct 1884)
His wife was Margarethe Johanne Florentine Eva Von Der Lippe. There is a chance that he still lived 1914 in Berlin as his daughter Marie Helene Gierow married 25 Dec 1914 and he is not mentioned as deceased. His son Hermann Oskar Gustav Gierow married 23 Mar 1920 it looks like his parents lived in Neustrelitz at that time.

Attachments

• Marie Helene Gierow.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Hermann Oskar Gustav Gierow.jpg
    Hermann Oskar Gustav Gierow.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
His wife was Margarethe Johanne Florentine Eva Von Der Lippe. There is a chance that he still lived 1914 in Berlin as his daughter Marie Helene Gierow married 25 Dec 1914 and he is not mentioned as deceased. His son Hermann Oskar Gustav Gierow married 23 Mar 1920 it looks like his parents lived in Neustrelitz at that time.

The daughter's marriage record makes him an architect ("Tocher des Architekts Paul [etc.]"; as already mentioned in post #30 and in the two scans attached by Paul to post #31) in 1914; in the son's marriage record, he was a pensioner ("Sohn des Pensionärs Paul [etc.]") in 1920 (residing in Neustrelitz, indeed).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back