• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some "unseen" descriptions … now seen! (1 Viewer)

In a 1798 book Pennant describes Dr. Patrick Russell as "My good old friend...". For sure Patrick Russell did not come to India until June 1782 after Forster coined russeliana.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/70253#page/115/mode/1up .
Alfred Newman in a letter to Stray Feathers does not list M. russeliana from Pennant's 1769 Indian Zoology.
https://books.google.com/books?id=i...ge&q=Indian zoology By Thomas Pennant&f=false .
This book has more information on the situation.
https://books.google.com/books?id=a2ymsrpA-iMC&dq=Pennant+1769&source=gbs_navlinks_s .

Last edited:
Russeliana; also note the unknown Mr. Russel", on p.755 in Mark's last link, in Post #102 ... who´s he!?

There´s also the Firecracker plants or Coralblows, in the Genus Russelia VON JACQUIN 1760 (some species are common in India), commemorating the Scottish naturalist Alexander Russell (1715–1768).

If of any relevance?
---

Last edited:
Not sure to whom this plant Phlomis russeliana here is dedicated but assume as well Alexander Russell (1715–1768) as there is a reference to Dr. Russel and The Natural History of Aleppo. As well not sure if there is any relevance to above discussed Russel.

helena
● the "unseen" Warbler "Curruca orphea β Helena" EHRENBERG 1833

OD attached; excerpt (in detail) + full page and title page.
---

Attachments

• Helena - detail.jpg
    Helena - detail.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 49
  • helena - full page.jpg
    helena - full page.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Symbolae Physicae ... title page.jpg
    Symbolae Physicae ... title page.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Depending when this part was really published (according Priority! The Dating of Scientific Names in Ornithology an unresolved case) it could be dedicated for Helene Hanstein née Ehrenberg mentioned here as ''The eldest daughter, Helene, married the botanist Johannes Hanstein''. According Wikipedia Helene (1834–1890).

It could be, Martin, but I doubt it.

The Symbolae Physicae by Ehrenberg and Hemprich is a complex publication. It was published in various parts over a period of 72 years(!) from 1828 (or possibly 1827) to 1900. This part (according to the Richmond card) in 1833, clearly excluding Ehrenbergs daughter, born the year after. I think that if it would have been meant for her, we would have looked at yet another helenae (alt. Helenaæ).

However, in the same volume you also find, for example, today´s:
● (Telophorus) Rhodophoneus cruentus (alt. Tchagra cruenta) HEMPRICH & EHRENBERG, 1828 as "Lanius cruentus"; Avibase refrence: "Symb.Phys.Aves(1828) sig.c(1833) pl.3(1828)", here.

I assume Richmond had done his homework regarding "Helena"!? But who knows, for sure?

In any case: surely a good suggestion! :t:

Also see the long, very loooong, entry in Zoonomen regarding this particular, utterly complicated publication, here, or below :eek!: (copied straight of):
Symbolae Physicae, seu icones et descriptiones corporum naturalium
novorum aut minus cognitorum quae ex itin eribus per Libyam
Aegyptum Nubiam Dongolam Syrian Arabiam et Habessianiam publico
institutis sumptu Friedrich Guilelmi Hemprich et christiani
Godofredi Ehrenberg Medicinae et Chirurgiae Doctorum...
Avium deca I

Ehrenberg, CG
1828-45
folio Berlin

Zimmer (from Cat Lib Br Mus (NH) ) says:
sigs a & b and all plates pub. 1828
all others (sigs. c-gg) appeared in 1833

I interp. that all entries listed "fol." is equvalent to "sig."

Bob Dowsett writes (2003.06.06):
[Begin Dowswett 2003.06.06]
'You will be interested to know that the NHM at Tring has a set of all 20 plates,
i.e. including those from the Decas secunda.
Alison Harding has most kindly confirmed that they hold the following:

"1) The first one has a title page which states it is 'Decas Prima'
and someone has added in pen 'et unica!'. At the bottom of the
title page in pen has been added 'Fol. a and b and all plates appeared in 1828,
the rest in 1833'.
(I do not know who wrote these annotations).
This volume has plates 1 to 10 only.

2) The other copy has no title page but has a handwritten 'title' -
'Symbolae Physicae seu Icones et Descriptiones corporum Naturalium Novorum
aut Minus Cognitorum quae ex itineribus per Libyam Aegyptium Nubiam, Dongalam,
Syriam, Arabiam et Haberssiniam publicio instituto sumptu
Hemprich et Ehrenberg.
Pars Zooligica I.
Berolini ex Ifficina Academica 1828'

It has all 20 plates"

She gives me a list of plates XI-XX which corresponds exactly to that supplied by the
bookseller. This is presumably where Sclater got his information from, and I am waiting
to know whether there are also sets elsewhere (e.g. AMNH, Berlin or Stuttgart).
If it is agreed (as I think is the case) that this work was indeed distributed
(despite the booksellers' claim to the contrary) then we have earlier descriptions
for two Afrotropical taxa:
Centropus superciliosus (pl. XI)
Estrilda rufibarba (pl. XIII).
In neither case do the names change, but the authors become:
Hemprich & Ehrenberg (1829) rather than Hemprich & Ehrenberg (1833), and
Cabanis (1850) respectively.
[End Dowsett 2003.06.06]

Regarding the posited date of 1829, contra 1828, Dowsett's thinking as of 2003.06.07 is:
[Begin part of Dowsett 2003.06.07]

'The two people to have used this reference for Centropus superciliosus
gave different years:
1828 in W.L. Sclater's Syst. Av., and
1833 in Chapin's Bds of the Belgian Congo.

1829 is the date on the copy Steven's bookseller has on hand.
That copy is clearly Decas secunda, whereas one notes the title of the
NHM volume containing the full set of 20 plates is somewhat different.
Had XI-XX been distributed in 1828 (as were the first 10 plates) then one might
have thought people aware of the first 10 would know of the 2nd batch
(which clearly most people didn't).
So I think the choice is between a "certain" 1829 and a less so 1828,
and I would go for the later date. What do others think?

As for the different titles, the NHM copy being handwritten I don't think we can be
sure it is what covered the plates when distributed, rather than one [that] someone took
to be the composite title of the whole work.'
[End Dowsett 2003.06.07]

Steven Gregory is currently the primary investigator of this mystery and his explanations
are:
[Begin S.G. 2003.06.08.001]
"Bob appears to have introduced you to this particular loop without
explaining the background. Edward and I had a 'lively' discussion concerning
the correct authorship of the new names introduced by the Symbolae Physicae.
I argued that Zimmer was correct in stating that '...all of which must be
credited to Ehrenberg although most of them are initialled "H. et E." in the
text.' It turns out that all those initialled "E." alone are named
'hemprichi'. As well as the obvious fact of Hemprich's death in 1825 there
are some more subtle clues such as:

1). The portion of the title page dealing with authorship translates as
'establishing publication at the expense [publico institutis sumptu] of
F.G.Hemprich & C.G.Ehrenberg', but that it was 'magnificently and expensively published
by the surviving [superstes] Dr. C.G.Ehrenberg'. And

2). The names are introduced exclusively as footnotes, supporting my contention that
while Hemprich will have made extensive field notes later to be incorporated into the text,
he was unlikely to have named species 'on the spot' (there were 34,000 zoological
specimens collected!) and that the names, therefore, were inserted by
Ehrenberg prior to publication, and cited Art. 50.1 and Recommendation 50A
of the ICZN in support.

This is a condensation of a far larger
correspondence between just the two of us, the upshot of which is that we
appear to agree to differ on this subject, he is happy with H. & E. in E.,
and I with E. in H. & E. !!!
It was at this point, after a lot of digging around into this subject, that
I found that W.L.Sclater cited 'fol. R, pl. xi,' for Centropus superciliosus,
a plate which should not exist, and discovered a set of
plates for sale by Antiquariaat Melchior purporting to be the Decas Secunda,
plates XI-XX.

I attach here the e-mail concerning the names of these plates, and will
continue with an e-mail attaching scans of the two most interesting plates.

Each plates has in top left the text: "Zoologica I. Aves" and in top right the plate number.
On bottom right is the artist name (usually F. Burde),
sometimes on bottom left the engravers name.

Text to the plates:

XI. Centropus Superciliofus adultis
Arabia felix

XII Centropus Superciliofus juvenis
Arabia
A. Pes et rostrum adulti. B. idem juvenis.

XIII Fringilla
1 carduelis rufibarba
2 ------------ frenata
3 ------------ effrenata
ex Arabia meridionalis

XIV Vultur eulophus
Ex Habesfinia

XV Pterocles gulattus
1. mas 2. Femina ex Aegypti et Nubia desertis. 3. Femina e desertis Sinai
ticis Arabiae. 4. Ova ejustdem e Nubia. I. Ova ptedoris senegalensis. II
Ova Pteroclis bicintii

XVI Pterocles coronatus
1. mas 2. Femina e Nubia II. Femina ex Arabia petraea A. Ovia Nubii

XVII Ibis religiosa
I.Habefsinica maris rubri, mas adulta II. Aethiopica nili, mas juvenis. III ovum.

XVIII Ibis Hemprichii
Ex Arabia

XIX Falco
Falco schistaceus 1. Mas 2. Femina 3. Ovum
Ex insula Barcan Maris rubri

XX Corvus Stridens
Mas
Libanon

[End S.G. 2003.06.08.001]

[Begin S.G. 2003.06.08.002]
From available evidence so far a rough chronology would be:

1820-25 Expedition to North Africa and the Middle East

1825 Death of F.W.Hemprich in the field from malaria (no day or month
found), return of C.G.Ehrenberg with 34,000 zoological specimens.

1828 Start of publication of Symbolae Physicae (1828-1845 et supra)
Title
Subtitle
Text folios a and b (4 ll. or 8 pp).
Plates I-X (birds)

1829 Plates XI-XX (birds)

1833 Text half-folios c-i, k-u, x-z and aa-gg (28 ll or 56 pp).

The non-ornithological part of the work continued from this point.
Although referred to variously as 'signatures' and 'folios', strictly speaking the
first two parts (a and b) are superroyal folios, that is superroyal sheets
folded once, and the latter parts (c-gg) superroyal half-folios, that is
single leaves of the same size.

I must say that it seems entirely plausible that texts were released between
1829 and 1833, and not 'all at once' as the bibliographers have it, but that
this is probably now beyond any investigation unless a library somewhere has
retained proof of receipt. Bob Dowsett has taken up the running in this area
as he was the most enthused by my 'discovery'. As well as at the NHM, I believe
a complete set resides in Berlin, although I'm unsure which institution as the
internet description merely states 'Zoological Library',

[End S.G. 2003.06.08.002]

Hemprich died in the field during their labors,
Zimmer in attributed all taxa to Ehrenberg.
I have interpreted ICZN 50.1 (1999) to indicate that both authors should
stand for the authority but may change this yet again. (2003.06.08)
However, this I have to admit, I cannot follow it all!

OK I checked Priority! The Dating of Scientific Names in Ornithology again in more details and it seems that 1833 is correct (even if I have same problem to understand in detail). But believe me with Decas Secunda (ten more plates) this publication dates are even more complex than written at Zoonomen. Anyawy there is a discussion if Friedrich Wilhelm Hemprich should be as well mentioned as author (as in Zoonomen).

Just some more guesses:
1) Wikipedia is wrong with the date. Which I would absolutely not exclude.
2) In older days they often used names for their children from the grandmother/father. So maybe Christian Gottfried Ehrenbergs mother....

OK 2) can't be as the mothers name was Christiane Dorothea Becker according here

Last edited:
Re. authorship:
1). The portion of the title page dealing with authorship translates as
'establishing publication at the expense [publico institutis sumptu] of
F.G.Hemprich & C.G.Ehrenberg', but that it was 'magnificently and expensively published
by the surviving [superstes] Dr. C.G.Ehrenberg'. And
For what it's worth, I understand the title page more or less as follows. (I don't really see anything therein that clearly makes Hemprich an author of the work, actually. His name appears only in a phrase which says he took part in the travels, and which can quite easily be interpreted as a part of the title itself, rather than as a "portion of the title page dealing with authorship".)

Symbolae physicae seu icones et descriptiones
Contributions of natural science or illustrations and descriptions
corporum naturalium novorum aut minus cognitorum quae
of new or less-known natural items which
ex itineribus per Libyam Aegyptum Nubiam Dongalam Syriam Arabiam et Habesseniam
from the travels through Libya, Egypt, Nubia, Dongala, Syria, Arabia and Abyssinia
publico institutis sumptu
arranged at public expense
Frederici Guilelmi Hemprich et Christiani Godofredi Ehrenberg medicinae et chirurgiae doctorum studio
by the zeal of Friedrich Wilhelm Hemprich and Christian Gottfried Ehrenberg, doctors in medicine and surgery,
annis MDCCCXX - MDCCCXXV
in the years 1820-1825
redierunt.
came back.
-------
Regis iussu et impensis
By order and at the expense of the King
publico usui obtulit superstes Dr. C. G. Ehrenberg, [etc.]
the survivor Dr C.G. Ehrenberg [etc.] offered [this] to public use.​

Last edited:
@ Björn: Regarding Wiki with dates Helene (1834–1890).
@ Laurent: According Dickinson et Al. p. 92:

Ehrenberg treated Hemprich, who died in Eritrea on 30 Jun 1825, as a co-author of most names (but not of those he dedicated to Hemprich). This is evidenced by the initials "H et E" after the descriptions in Latin that appear in the footnotes. Zimmer (1926: 204) wrote that all must be credited to Ehrenberg (perhaps on the grounds that Hemprich was not alive to publish them). However, under the present Code there seem to be no grounds to ignore the attributions to both authors where Ehrenberg gave these. We prefer to credit them as Ehrenberg wished and consider the "H et E" as sufficient evidence within the content of the work (Art 50.1 and 50.1.3; I.C.Z.N., 1999) For further background see Stresemann (1954).

I am not sure if e.g. Histoire naturelle des oiseaux-mouches ou colibris constituant la famille des trochilidés from Étienne Mulsant and Édouard Verreaux can be compared with this case as Verreaux was long dead when the books have been published. I already mentioned it here #7.

helena
● "Curruca orphea β Helena" EHRENBERG 1833 (OD in Post #105)
... it could be dedicated for Helene Hanstein née Ehrenberg …. According Wikipedia Helene (1834–1890).
It could be, Martin, but I doubt it.
... 1833, clearly excluding Ehrenbergs daughter, born the year after.
Wikipedia is wrong with the date. Which I would absolutely not exclude.
So what are the correct dates (or years) for Helene then? Was she born before 1834? In 1833? Or earlier? That would certainly change things.

Why so secretive, Martin? ;)
---

Last edited:
I am not secretice and do not know if it is correct or not. Nevertheless Wikipedia (even if I used it) is not always a reliable source as everyone is able to edit without quoting a source. But bear in mind that Ehrenberg might have given the name for his daughter and the bird for the same reason. But that's speculation.

The type site of var helena is Syria. I think that it is named for Helena the Mother of Constantine who went to Syria and found a piece of the true cross. I like Hemprich as a coauthor since he named the birds in the field and on every page of the work on the bottom it says Hempr. et Ehrenb. Aves I .

and on every page of the work on the bottom it says Hempr. et Ehrenb. Aves I .
Yes, true, I had missed this on a first look.
If the authors of the work are H&E, I would follow the attributions as they appear in the book: all names authored by H&E, except the "hemprichii" which are by E in H&E. (But note that this seems to be neither the position advocated by Steven Gregory [the whole lot attributed to E in H&E], nor that advocated by Edward Dickinson [attributions as appear in the work, but the work is deemed to be by E only].)

Good deduction, Mark!

The type site of var helena is Syria. I think that it is named for Helena the Mother of Constantine who went to Syria and found a piece of the true cross. ...
In my mind (if the OD doesn´t give away anything) she, that (Saint) Helena, connected to the type locality, is the best possible explanation this far.

:clap:mad: Björn you've been quicker than me with your answer (the early bird gets the worm).

I agree that Saint Helena is a very plausible candidate. Definetly more than Helene Hanstein née Ehrenberg (1834–1890).

Hempr. et Ehrenb. Aves i may have been a decision of the printer and not Ehrenberg? I was wondering why it is Helena and not Helenae in 1833? That Helena starts with a capital means it is a noun?

I was wondering why it is Helena and not Helenae in 1833? That Helena starts with a capital means it is a noun?
Mark, I was also a bit reluctant of the choice of spelling, Helena vs Helenae (alt. Helenæ) as being a clear commemoration (see post #107) and I´m not all convinced that the capital H in Helena necessarily must indicate a noun. On the same page you will also find "Curruca Famula", and further on in the same volume there´s, for example; "S. [Saxicola] Rubicola", "Turdus Merula", "L. [Lanius] Collurio" side by side with S. [Saxicola] leucura", "Turdus saxatilis", "L. [Lanius] nubicus" and so on.

I think those capitals is more an indication (when not clearly a commemoration/noun, as in "Hemprichii or "Rüppellii"), that this name has also been used as a Generic name.

If this is the case for Helena, and what it, if so, would mean, I do not know.

Björn

PS. Remember, there´s also, for example:
● the skimmer Edonis helena NEEDHAM 1905
● the cankerworm Eupithecia helena TAYLOR 1906
● the gall gnat Harmandia helena (FELT 1912)
● the wasp Ceraphron helena DODD 1914
● the butterfly Euchaetes helena (CASSINO 1928)
● the fish Ariomma helena TRUNOV 1976
… and so on, and on (see ITIS)

If those are all commemorations, or not, I also do not know,
---

Last edited:
Mark, I was also a bit reluctant of the choice of spelling, Helena vs Helenae (alt. Helenæ) as being a clear commemoration (see post #107) and I´m not all convinced that the capital H in Helena necessarily must indicate a noun. On the same page you will also find "Curruca Famula", and further on in the same volume there´s, for example; "S. [Saxicola] Rubicola", "Turdus Merula", "L. [Lanius] Collurio" side by side with S. [Saxicola] leucura", "Turdus saxatilis", "L. [Lanius] nubicus" and so on.
There is no problem with any of these, actually. Famula (a maid-servant), rubicola (a dweller-in-the-bramble), merula (a blackbird), collurio (latinisation of κολλυριων, a thrush-sized bird) are all nouns and capitalised; leucura (latinisation of λευκουρος, white-tailed), saxatilis (dwelling in the rocks, classical Latin), nubicus (Nubian, formed from Nubia and a classical Latin adjectival suffix) are all adjectives and start with a lower-case letter.
He was (they were?) not fully consistent, though, as for example orphea on the page in question was capitalized in the text but not in the footnote; orphea can be adjectival.

I would understand a nominative in apposition differently than a genitive. Genitive implies belonging: avis Helenae, Helen's bird -- this would suggest a bird that belongs to, was found by, described by, discussed by, or offered to Helen. If both words are in the nominative: avis Helena, the Helen bird, the two words are placed on equal footing, thus Helena "is" the bird -- this would rather suggest a bird that looks like or acts like Helen. (Or perhaps the other way around -- for example, if the bird is particularly beautiful, this might be understood as an oblique compliment suggesting that Helen is beautiful as well.)

What H&M meant with this name, however, I cannot say for sure...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back