• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset Birding (1 Viewer)

Andy - Worth spending some time looking for the Purple Sands at Battery Point. Even though it looks like a small area, they can hide surprisingly well, and sometimes don't appear until you're right on top of them.

As Starainboy says, Linnets are common at Portbury, but I did see a single Redpoll there a week or so ago.

I may be holidaying near Porlock in July.

The last Somerset posts about Dartford Warbler seem to be some time ago. What are my chances?

It's a bogey bird that I have spent many an hour in Hampshire and Dorset failing to find.

Hi,
We still have a very few Dartfords left on Exmoor, but they have taken a fearful hammering in the cold snaps in the last couple of winters. I can't publish any info on them here (they are Schedule 1 after all), but if you are out looking for them concentrate on areas where there are large stands of tall gorse - these seem to have given them shelter and access to food during periods of deep snow cover.

As for locating them, know the calls well, as I usually hear them before I see them.

Hi,

but if you are out looking for them concentrate on areas where there are large stands of tall gorse - these seem to have given them shelter and access to food during periods of deep snow cover.

As for locating them, know the calls well, as I usually hear them before I see them.

Thanks Julian,

That's very helpful.

I'm visiting Wells at the weekend and would appreciate any tips on places to go (we'll probably be avoiding Cheddar).

The main aim is to visit Ham Wall, though the pressure's off to see our first bittern as we were lucky in Hampshire a few weeks ago.

I'm visiting Wells at the weekend and would appreciate any tips on places to go (we'll probably be avoiding Cheddar).

The main aim is to visit Ham Wall, though the pressure's off to see our first bittern as we were lucky in Hampshire a few weeks ago.

Several bittern booming at Westhay, Ham Wall and Shapwick on Friday and Saturday... Bodes well for the coming season.

Great crested grebe were gearing up for mating in front of Noah's Hide on Saturday and we had a lovely view of a female marsh harrier sitting on a distant post from about 4.10pm for about 15mins from that hide too.

We'd seen a harrier plunge into the reeds from the opposite hide just before 4pm so perhaps she was digesting something. One or two males were circling around too.

Popped over to Hamwall today, some excellent views of Bitterns, hobbies and a Marsh Harrier also plenty of Black tailed Godwit over the otherside on the drained lagoon.

Spent a couple of hours at Hamwall yesterday evening, As well as the Bitterns, Hobbies, and Marsh Harriers had excellent views of the Red Footed Falcon.

I hope to be at ham wall next weds, anyone wanna meet up? help me break my 30year duck on bittern sightings?

drop me an email....

is anyone chking the brue estuary for migrant waders?

Hi woodhornbirder, not sure if im able to make it on Wed, however Bittern sightings are very good at the moment so hopefully you should break your 30 yr duck.

Started the week off well...got longtailed skua today, another bogey bird. Got good views as well, although ligt was a bit dull, it was close to the headland.....So i hope am on a roll.

AM hoping to come down via north wales, so may bag chough en route)

HOpe that bonapartes gull hangs about berrow, but they tend to be quite mobile birds.

Last edited:
SAw the 2 ruddy shelduck at chew today. Unclear if they were hybrids or not. SOme pics for discussion would be good. One bird seemed to have a slightly droopy right wing(damaged?). The other had quite a brown head, but not unlike some pics on iris.

They appeared to be nervous about approaching humans. They kept their distance from the folk throwing bread at the ducks, feeding on the otherside near the reeds.

http://www.birdguides.com/media/large/00180000/00180496.jpg one of the birds had similar face pattern to this bird.

Last edited:
There was a funny buzzard near the parret river on sat 11th june. Sadly it was in steart side of the river and we wwere on huntspil side.

Was large with very pale tail, didnt notice a pale head. Sadly only viewed by bins. It did land in long grass, and stayed down for a while, so we moved on. Had me stumped. The distance didnt help.
tbh i forgot about it, till recent reports of unusual buzzards......

Dulverton

Hi

I am having a weeks holiday at a small village just outside Dulverton called Ashwick on the south fringes of Exmoor - 10th - 17th September

It is a family holiday but wondered if there was somewhere worthy of a visit for a few hours I could escape to sometime during the week.

Hi Charlie, it's been ten years since I lived in Somerset, but I'll reply in case no-one else does ...

Of course mid-Sept isn't the best time for Exmoor itself, but then you knew that. Wimbleball reservoir might turn up something, and it is quite a nice place to visit.
But I guess you'd be better heading up to the coast. Generally, the further east you go, into Bridgwater Bay, the more interesting it gets, but Porlock bay/marsh may be worth a look (and again, Porlock is good for a visit anyway).

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back