• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset Birding (1 Viewer)

A day out at Shapwick Heath produced 1 Black tern, marsh harrier, and otter from Noah's, 2 bearded tits also seen on 70 acres, and across the road at Ham Wall numerous Bittern sightings and 3 Hobbies.

Couldn't find any Hobbys today at Ham Wall or Shapwick Heath (double figures reported yesterday) but did have great views of GWE's and Marsh Harriers.

Rich

I know it is a while ago , but on the 30th of July , I went bird watching at sunrise at Ham Wall. I had a fantastic morning , it was an example of the diversity of bird life Somerset has to offer. What I saw ...

1 x Green Woodpecker
1 x Common Kestrel
6 x Eurasian Hobby
1 x Cetti's Warbler
5 x Willow Warbler
3 x Whitethroat
Lots x Reed Warbler
10 x Goldfinch
1 x Kingfisher
3 x Little Grebe (one was a chick!)
2 x Grey Heron
2 x Little Egret
2 x Great White Egret
10 x Gadwall
2 x Mute Swan
6 x Canada Geese
Lots of Corivds and Woodpigeons!
We where also lucky enough to see a murmeration of Starlings at dawn. It was beautiful.
Does anyone else like bird watching at sunrise?

Great find by ChrisG yesterday of a juvenile Surf Scoter off Blue Anchor at high tide and then more distantly off Dunster Beach later in day. Still present this morning over the high tide at Blue Anchor and fairly close to the shore. This is the first record for Somerset. Also on the sea were four adult Mediterranean Gulls. Roger

Went first to Stolford this morning and as soon as I went through the gate I saw the Snow Bunting feeding along the concrete track. Shortly after wards it was joined by a Black Redstart. After lunch I decided to go to Steart and as I was driving through Stockland I noticed a small flock of finches in the roadside hedge. I stopped and got out of the car but I hadn't noticed that there was a Cattle Egret and a Little Egret in the field . They promptly flew off in the direction of Stockland Marsh although I understand that they came back shortly after. Once the rain stopped I walked to the screen overlooking the lagoons at Steart WWT and saw the Spotted Redshank and a large flock of Golden Plovers. As I walked back to the car a Barn Owl flew across the road on to Wall Common. Considering the weather it was a very enjoyable day. Roger

Might have a go for the Dusky Warbler at Ham Wall later. Reports show it tends to be seen mid afternoon. Can anyone please direct me from the car park to to best place to try and locate it. Thanks

Head east along the Ham Wall footpath and just after the 1st viewing platform, turn left over the footbridge. Head right (east) and you soon come to the turn off to the new hide (Avalon hide, left). The warbler is usually in the next 100 to 200 m east from here. It gets on both sides of the canal but spends a lot of its time in the reeds on the left where it can be almost impossible to see. Occasionally though, it gets active and moves up and into trees... Know the call!

Headed to Ham Wall yesterday. Whilst the main footpath is closed at the bridge it's possible to walk into the reserve along the other side of the canal. Didn't come across the Warbler but still had a great afternoon. The new hide (Avalon?) was very comfortable and gave fantastic views of Great White Egret and Marsh Harriers. Heaps of the usual species around and slightly unexpected was seeing the Glossy Ibis in amongst a flock of Lapwing.

Rich

Hi I am a regular at Greylake and Swell woods but on this lovely afternoon I am currently sitting in the garden of our new house and am enjoying lots of visits to our bird feeders.

these include multiple
Jackdaws,
Wood Pigeons,
Great Tits,
Tree Sparrows,
Magpies,
Blackbirds
and some stunning Collared Doves.

life is great here in Norton :t:

Cracking morning at Ham Wall today. Garden Warblers, Blackcaps, Reed and Sedge Warblers everywhere. At least 4 Marsh Harriers viewed from the Avalon Hide and 5 Bitterns seen around Ham Wall and Shapwick Heath. Several Great Egrets also seen. The bridge remains closed but you can still access all the reserve with the alternative route. The only slight disappointment was the lack of Hobbys.

Rich

I had a wonderful day at Ham Wall last week. I arrived at about 9am on Saturday and immediately spotted a beautiful Common Buzzard perched on a nearby post in the 'Mini Marshes' area. Then In the Waltons area I saw a female Pochard with her chicks, tens of Cormarants (one of the juveniles had a fight with a Mute Swan!), Great Crested Grebes with young, 6 or 7 Grey Herons, Reed Warblers, a very orange Bittern and 3 Marsh Harriers. Two Cuckoos flew straight over the hide, one landed in the distance where I could watch him sing! Other highlights of the day included a hunting Hobby, a preening Little Egret, a Great White Egret in breeding plumage and a male Ruff in full breeding plumage (I was told by some birders that they had saw him displaying to a group of Lapwings!). :)

Morning all. Looking to head to Ham Wall/ Shapwick Heath on Saturday. Does anyone know if the Hobbys are showing well? I can see some reports but they're going back 2-3 weeks.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich, the large numbers of passage birds are over so just a handful of breeding birds left. You have a chance anywhere but I might put my money on Noah's if pushed. Don't forget to scan high and far.

Andy

Thanks for the advice gents. Just come back from Ham Wall/ Shapwick Heath. Water levels were high so not a great deal at Meare scrape. Somebody else had a Hobby outside the Avalon Hide and a Bearded Tit. Sars and I had great views of Marsh Harriers and Bitterns and at Noah's Lake, we picked out a distant Hobby.

Thanks again all.

Rich

Nice one, Rich. It's a tricky time of year. With luck you could see L Bittern, ibis, etc etc. A male LB was showing 'very well' this morning on Ham Wall according to birdguides...! I failed to even find the ibises last weekend though and it can then seem deadly quiet... Still a fabulous place to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back