• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somewhere I Got Idea this Does Not Happen (1 Viewer)

humminbird said:
In years of watching hummingbirds I have never noticed any gender differentiation as far as protecting a feeder is concerned - I have seen females protect the feeder as fiercely if not more so than males.

Do you think this might be species specific? I also tend to think that the females of our Anna's do not defend the feeder, at least not that much; if someone defends it, it is usually a male - as far as I can tell. And on the rare occasions when there are two there at the same time, at least one of them looks like a female. Sometimes we could even see the defender sitting in a tree nearby and watching a hummingbird drink from "his" feeder - but in these cases the drinking hummingbird never appeared to be a male - at least not an adult. Of course this all might just have happened by chance and is definetly not statistically evident, and also I would never claim to be able to distinguish an immature male from a female for sure. But it would make sense though, at least at nesting season, when the females have better things to do than defending a feeder, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
MBP said:
Do you think this might be species specific? I also tend to think that the females of our Anna's do not defend the feeder, at least not that much; if someone defends it, it is usually a male - as far as I can tell. And on the rare occasions when there are two there at the same time, at least one of them looks like a female. Sometimes we could even see the defender sitting in a tree nearby and watching a hummingbird drink from "his" feeder - but in these cases the drinking hummingbird never appeared to be a male - at least not an adult. Of course this all might just have happened by chance and is definetly not statistically evident, and also I would never claim to be able to distinguish an immature male from a female for sure. But it would make sense though, at least at nesting season, when the females have better to do than defending a feeder, wouldn't it?

My hummers (the 15-20 total i get here), are very gendered in terms of feeder defense. The females defend them like crazy durring nesting season, then the immature males drive the females off. I rarely see an adult male at all, and he will stick around for about 3-4 days tops.
Heather

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back