• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony Alpha One (2 Viewers)

It's been about a week since I got my Alpha 1. Spent quite a bit of time setting up the camera for bird photography (very easy menu system). Have been going out and taking bird pics. Amazing. The Bird AF is amazing. While it's not perfect, it's close. It truly does lock on to a bird's eye. The AF is fast even when using a 2x TC with a Sony 400mm 2.8. Haven't run into noise issues at higher ISO. Would definitely recommend Sony Alpha 1.

I ordered this after it had been out of stock everywhere, and managed to get one just before a trip to the Shetlands. I'm still getting used to its capabilities, but I'm having fun with it so far. I had previously been using the A9, which I'll keep and get a smaller lens to use for hoverflies. The A1 is definitely a step up. I like the fact that it supports lossless raw, which saves on disk space. I've not used the full 30 fps second functionality yet, but will look forward to doing so, when the opportunity arises. Note: the diver and the phalarope were taken in very poor light on Fetlar, when the island was bathed in dense haar for the whole day.

. Ringed Plover 07-06-21.jpgRed-throated Diver 08-06-21.jpgRed-necked Phalarope 08-06-21.jpgEuropean Golden Plover3 07-06-21.jpg

Great pics. The picture quality using the A1 is incredible. I have a 400mm 2.8 and a 2x tc permanently attached for bird pics. The Sony lense is so sharp.

Great pics. The picture quality using the A1 is incredible. I have a 400mm 2.8 and a 2x tc permanently attached for bird pics. The Sony lense is so sharp.
Thanks. Yes, my aim is to get the 600mm f4 but just don't have the cash! Still, the results with the 200-600mm f6.3 are still more than acceptable.

Sorry, I meant that all Sony glass seems to be exceptional. So much so that using a tc I don't notice any pic degradation. Something I didn't find when using Canon glass (ie 100-400mm mk II) with tc.

I have both the Sony a9ii and now the A1. The flexible-spot tracking and the bird-eye detection on the A1 is amazing. The 30 f/s and the 50 megapixels also put the A1 in a whole new league of mirrorless cameras. I took the photo below today with the A1 + sony 200-600mm today. Yes there bird-eye detect was working even on this male RTHU.

RTHU_PCM2662.jpg

I ordered this after it had been out of stock everywhere, and managed to get one just before a trip to the Shetlands. I'm still getting used to its capabilities, but I'm having fun with it so far. I had previously been using the A9, which I'll keep and get a smaller lens to use for hoverflies. The A1 is definitely a step up. I like the fact that it supports lossless raw, which saves on disk space. I've not used the full 30 fps second functionality yet, but will look forward to doing so, when the opportunity arises. Note: the diver and the phalarope were taken in very poor light on Fetlar, when the island was bathed in dense haar for the whole day.

. View attachment 1393090View attachment 1393089View attachment 1393088View attachment 1393087

Bird Image quality looks great, personally as a "static" I would prefer a lens a little wider to reduce the dof but should be good for flight shots if you can hold 2kgs

Some recent A1 close ups and full framers.

Attachments

• DSC02434.jpg
    DSC02434.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 75
  • DSC02978.jpg
    DSC02978.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02248 (1).jpg
    DSC02248 (1).jpg
    706 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC05563.jpg
    DSC05563.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • DSC07207.jpg
    DSC07207.jpg
    859.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00432.jpg
    DSC00432.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
I switched a system because of this body...but I guess the rest are just as worthy in their field. Go borrow and try 1...if you can appreciate it and enjoyed the features, you can justify the price tag already :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back