• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony RX10 IV for a beginner? (1 Viewer)

Regimeta

Finland
Hi,

I am a total newbie to photography. I'm looking to be able to take pictures of local gulls to compare molting, take pictures for identification purposes, maybe share some of them on social media.

I've done some homework during the past week or so, and for my uses, I've landed somewhere between a crop sensor camera and a superzoom camera. I mostly travel by bike or by foot, so the weight and size matters. I already carry a TSN883 scope and binos with me, and the camera would be handy on the side to snap a few quick pictures. Also being able to shoot insects would be appreciated.

Would you recommend the RX10 IV for someone like me, or is there a better alternative? Any other tips to consider when just starting out, and possible expenses to keep in mind? Other comparable cameras to be on the lookout for when checking the used market?

I have an RX10 IV as my backup camera, which I use on trips where I want to travel light e.g. when weighed down by a scope or out in the hills. As someone who has used DSLRs since 2005 (just bought a Canon R5 as main camera) the quality of the RX10 is astonishing. It is incredibly sharp, the autofocus is rapid - it can do a good job for flight shots with uncluttered backgrounds. Obviously there are compromises, but it is remarkably versatile. Sony menus are not the most user friendly, but you get used to them. While not true macro it does a good job with insects. Capture One do free Raw processing software for Sony which does a really nice job - it's quite hard to find on their website though, they would rather you forked out for the full version! Here are a few images taken with it.

Rob

Attachments

• Bittern1.jpg
    Bittern1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
  • Bittern2.jpg
    Bittern2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • GCGrebe.jpg
    GCGrebe.jpg
    828.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Gropper.jpg
    Gropper.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Marsh harrier.jpg
    Marsh harrier.jpg
    763.3 KB · Views: 104
  • snow bunting.jpg
    snow bunting.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 98
  • wheatear.jpg
    wheatear.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 106
I'll be interested in replies here too, wanting to move to the Sony from Canon EOS range
Steve Ingraham of 'Better View Desired' fame wrote up this camera pretty extensively, with birding use in mind. Sony RX10iv for Point and Shoot Nature Photography Guide
My only note would be that for bikers, a TSN883 plus tripod, along with binocs is a hefty load.
At 2.4 pounds, the RX10IV is not small, although still compact given its 600mm equivalent lens.
The pocket sized Sony RX100VII is a quarter the weight and has the RX10IV size sensor.
Admittedly only 24-200mm equivalent reach and not weather sealed, but for taking quick pictures it should serve. A digiscope adapter would allow the scope optics to also be used as a super telephoto lens.

I pointed out in the RX thread that it is actually possible to put together a m4/3 set with the same reach and a larger sensor than the sony which is also lighter.
best
Niels

Thank you for all the answers and the link to the useful guide from Ingraham. Great pictures edenwatcher!

I was on a cruise last Sunday watching razorbills and common murres. Some of the other passengers had some of the camera models I've been looking into, like Nikon Coolpix P1000 and the Sony RX10 IV. An older gentleman told me a lot about the Sony and showed me some of his photos, and I think the RX10 IV will indeed be my choice. I'm not too worried about the weight and size. A smaller camera using my scope as a telephoto lens would not work well, as I've noticed it is way too hard to shoot flying birds that way, and flight shots are something I'm looking to get into.

The only thing I'm pondering right now is whether to buy new or buy a used camera. The RX10 IV is around 1600-1700 euros new at the moment. There is a used one close to me for 1000 euros, which includes two batteries and a case. It's from a professional photographer and looking quite nice. Since I have no prior experience buying cameras, I don't know whether I should save some money buying used or getting a new one. I'm looking for one long-lasting purchase and not planning to upgrade for years to come. In this case, should I prefer a new to be able to get as much out of it before its eventual end? The fact it's a professional selling the camera makes me think it's probably been in extensive use.

Hi,

I am a total newbie to photography. I'm looking to be able to take pictures of local gulls to compare molting, take pictures for identification purposes, maybe share some of them on social media.

I've done some homework during the past week or so, and for my uses, I've landed somewhere between a crop sensor camera and a superzoom camera. I mostly travel by bike or by foot, so the weight and size matters. I already carry a TSN883 scope and binos with me, and the camera would be handy on the side to snap a few quick pictures. Also being able to shoot insects would be appreciated.

Would you recommend the RX10 IV for someone like me, or is there a better alternative? Any other tips to consider when just starting out, and possible expenses to keep in mind? Other comparable cameras to be on the lookout for when checking the used market?
I got my RX10IV for the specific purpose of taking BIF shots. I wanted to take these on a tour to Antarctica, and I must say the camera fulfilled its task, though with lots of waste shots. In particular, the camera had problems to concentrate the focus on the birds when they flew close to the water. So lots of wave focus was unavoidable. So in a way, my main problem was to get the camera to do what I wanted it to do. As had been mentioned already, Sony's menus are a pain at first. But once I learned to concentrate on the essentials, I got along well. I did buy some books that explained the handling. That helped as well. At any rate, the fast focus and the decently large sensor make this camera by far the most attractive one I can imagine.

If you don't need the reach, the RX100 versions would give you a very much more compact camera. I'm often surprised about the quality a good friend of mine achieves. But then, he is more into butterflies and alike.

So I guess, the most important topic right now for you is to find out how reliable that used camera is that would allow you a decently economic start. Good luck!

One addition: This camera consumes a lot of energy. So two batteries may be good enough to start and for practicing. But if you can't recharge often, at least 4 or five batteries will be more like what you will need in the end.

Last edited:
Hi,

To add to the very helpful responses so far,

BIF = Bird in flight (I'm new so it took me a while to figure out). It is one of the most challenging types of bird photography, especially when it comes to the small, fast ones. It's not so bad for soaring birds and large birds that are less maneuverable.

The Sony RX10IV is the top of the line as far as bridge cameras are concerned. I have no doubt it will serve your needs, but you do pay a premium for it. I'm a proponent for buying used big ticket luxury items, so if you can get one at nearly half price, I'd seriously consider that.

For the purposes you stated, any superzoom will do. However, if you want to get sharp, gallery worthy shots, you will have a lot of throwaway shots, as mentioned by @Swissboy . I use a 12 year old Panasonic, and I may get one keeper (or none) if the light is low or the bird appears for seconds. The more you practice, the better you understand your camera, and the more keepers you end up with. There is more to bird photography than just the camera.

I will add that a bridge camera has its benefits, in terms of simplicity, light weight, and compactness. Images can turn out very well if there is plenty of light. If you get bitten by the photography bug, like I have, you might start considering larger formats.

Last edited:
I got the RX10 IV. The used one sold, so I ended up buying new from the Sony summer sales. I've been having a blast with it so far. I've taken it for a walk along my binoculars during the last few evenings, and managed to get a few good shots. Today I took the camera along with me to a birdwatching tower with my usual gear including my scope. It felt awesome to be able to take a photo and have another look at a fast flying flock to count the individuals, for example. You also get to see a lot of details you otherwise wouldn't - for example, I noticed afterwards that one of the local redpolls had some kind of a deformed beak zooming in on the picture. Shooting something like swifts was impossible for me before, and it feels great to finally able to do so.

The camera serves my purposes well. Starting out was tough, but I think I'm slowly starting to get the hang of it. I had a pretty cool encounter with a fox the other day, and most of my photos turned out pretty rough, as I didn't get that good of a focus and the exposure was through the roof, lol. I went through the options and made some adjustments and my own custom settings and and now the camera feels a lot better. Maybe I'll post something on the galleries on the forum after I've learned a bit more. :)

I got the RX10 IV. The used one sold, so I ended up buying new from the Sony summer sales. I've been having a blast with it so far. I've taken it for a walk along my binoculars during the last few evenings, and managed to get a few good shots. Today I took the camera along with me to a birdwatching tower with my usual gear including my scope. It felt awesome to be able to take a photo and have another look at a fast flying flock to count the individuals, for example. You also get to see a lot of details you otherwise wouldn't - for example, I noticed afterwards that one of the local redpolls had some kind of a deformed beak zooming in on the picture. Shooting something like swifts was impossible for me before, and it feels great to finally able to do so.

The camera serves my purposes well. Starting out was tough, but I think I'm slowly starting to get the hang of it. I had a pretty cool encounter with a fox the other day, and most of my photos turned out pretty rough, as I didn't get that good of a focus and the exposure was through the roof, lol. I went through the options and made some adjustments and my own custom settings and and now the camera feels a lot better. Maybe I'll post something on the galleries on the forum after I've learned a bit more. :)
Well done, it sounds like you are having fun and making great progress with your new camera. That's what it's all about.

Could you give an example of a set up like this?
Pana G85 with either the pana 100-300 lens or the oly 75-300. I believe you should be able to use any of the Olympus OM-D cameras with about the same weight but did not check back. By using yesteryears camera body, you are in the same ballpark re price as the RX10-4.

Improving on this: newer camera body probably would exceed price. Using a 100-400 mm lens you would gain in lens quality and reach would be beyond the RX10-IV but the weight would too.
Niels

Pana G85 with either the pana 100-300 lens or the oly 75-300. I believe you should be able to use any of the Olympus OM-D cameras with about the same weight but did not check back. By using yesteryears camera body, you are in the same ballpark re price as the RX10-4.

Improving on this: newer camera body probably would exceed price. Using a 100-400 mm lens you would gain in lens quality and reach would be beyond the RX10-IV but the weight would too.
Niels
Doesn’t the RX10 IV have a 600mm equivalent zoom? So a 100-300 lens would not get you the same reach? Also does the autofocus speed and FPS of the sony come into consideration? Genuinely asking, I am trying to figure out what I should invest in for a birding camera and a larger sensor size is appealing to me.

The sensor size on a micro 4/3 has a 2x crop factor so 300 mm real length is the same as 600 mm equivalent. Just like the RX10-IV is not a true 600 mm but a 600 mm equivalent reach.
Niels

It's great that the OP is happy with the RX10 - but it is a physically large camera - as @njlarsen says, the 100-300 Panasonic lens is very compact and lightweight - my partner has that lens with a G9, and it is a decent setup when you don't want to haul a big camera and lens around. I've suggested she try an Olympus 300 which was available 2nd hand in a local camera shop, but she values the light weight and compact size, and versatility of a zoom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back