• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa Kruger Park Lark (1 Viewer)

Sal

Is this a Monotonous Lark?

Attachments

• 8080 Monotonous Lark Lark Day 5.jpg
    8080 Monotonous Lark Lark Day 5.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 119
Oops, sorry, that's what I meant to say. The reason I am asking is that this is not the Melodious Lark's area yet it looks so like one. Could it be a Sabota Lark?

To my eye both are similar, but I felt it was closer to Melodious as it seems to show angular patterning on the ear covers, a stong dark border to this, chestnut eye and pink on the lower upper mandible. Also, at the top of the steaking on the neck they look to join almost in a breast band. I felt that the smaller billed race of Sabatoa would have a dark eye, even colouration on the beak, and the streaking would not create a band.

Not questioning your ID, but why do you feel that?

I probably wrote my post at the same time that yours and I could not read it. Obviously you have more experience than me, but in my field guide melodious are not supoosed to be in kuger. But your description really fits well on the bird of the picture. I trust you

your description really fits well on the bird of the picture.

I don't have much experience with these birds, but, as they are similar, I tried to see which fitted better, and found that it seemed closer to Melodious than Sabota, although range fits in with Sabota over Melodious

Many thanks for all of the above. If anyone else can make a determination I would welcome it. . . . It is probably a Sabota; I was just hoping . . . .

Hi Sal,

It is a Sabota Lark. Melodious Lark has a shorter, deeper-based bill and the head pattern is not as obvious as on your bird. Also Melodious would be lost if in Kruger and would have dropped in altitude to get there. If you are using the SASOL guide then I would suggest that you don't for this species - try an image search in Google for Melodious Lark and you will see what I mean - they don't look like Sabotas.

Cheers

Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back