• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Island Snipe (1 Viewer)

SzimiStyle

The Shorebird Addict
I am a bit confused by the recent splits of Subantarctic Snipe subspecies. The South Island Snipe has no known breeding population and thought to be extinct. How I should understand this split then?

Chatham Snipe Coenocorypha pusilla
South Island Snipe Coenocorypha iredalei
Snares Snipe Coenocorypha huegli
Subantarctic Snipe Coenocorypha aucklandica

Szimi

Well, I believe that taxonomists are not only interested in current species but also in extinct ones. One other example is that the Bogota Sunangel, a hummingbird only known from a single specimen, has been declared a good species based on DNA results after it for many years were suspected to be the result of a hybridization event. And by the way, it is not that long ago that New Zealand Storm-Petrel was considered extinct.

Niels

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back