• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Jersey thread (1 Viewer)

dak

United States
I live near the Forsythe NWR in Galloway. It is a unique area where a freshwater source goes through a series of dykes that create impoundments of increasing salinity from the woods out to the bay, which lends great diversity to the species found here.

I recently retired so I spend a lot time there now. I would like to start a thread specific to S Jersey - the pines, back bays, beaches. What, where, when, etc. I can provide a lot of info and pics on what I see from Tuckerton to OC. I'm not sure if there will be enough participation, but we'll see.

dak

Attachments

• IMG_0258.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 15
Hi Dak it's always great to be able to read patch reports from other members. Not everyone who reads them will actually post.

But you can rest assured that they will enjoy catching up with your travels and, if that picture is anything to go by, looking at any images you may wish to post.

Don't forget you can put pictures in the Gallery too.

Jan 2 I went out on the Forsythe loop and saw a couple cool things - a peregrine and a couple harriers involved in a dog fight. A couple weeks ago I saw a peregrine perched in a tree dive bombed by a harrier and they then scuffled. Strangely not many ducks, just some pintails and shovelers.

I have some good pics, but when I hit insert image, I am asked for a url. My pics are on an sd card plugged into the computer, although I could insert an image when I was posting on my cell phone. Help!

Ooooh!! A Northern Pintail.... just about my favourite duck!!

Today I saw my first grey ghost! It was out on the NE corner of the Forsythe loop road. Will post pics later.

Hi dak, even though I live in Virginia I make a few runs per year up to Forsythe NWR and Barnegat Lighthouse SP. Forsythe offers incredible variety and the wildlife loop is a true treasure (although the Deer Flies and Greenheads are a plague in summer). Barnegat is fairly reliable for Harliquin Duck, Purple Sandpiper, Great Cormorant, Snow Bunting, and even the occasional pelagic. You certainly live in a great birding area, with Cape May just to the south.

Dak.....south jersey is a great place to bird. Forsythe is excellent. I lived there for 10 years and just recently moved to our home here in AZ. But make sure you do the spring and fall bird walks via the Atlantic Audubon Society as each Saturday from around 8 to 10/11 they take long walks. Lester, John.... Kevin etc, will lead the trips. Usually what is in Cape May, is in Forsythe as well. See this site ....I used to manage the web page for them and was on the board until recently (I used to do the blogs, the web page, the articles on birding results, events etc.... ) so can walk you thru anything or introduce you to people there. Really nice group of birders...... Are you into digiscoping or birding or scoping or bins or? jim

Hi dak, even though I live in Virginia I make a few runs per year up to Forsythe NWR and Barnegat Lighthouse SP. Forsythe offers incredible variety and the wildlife loop is a true treasure (although the Deer Flies and Greenheads are a plague in summer). Barnegat is fairly reliable for Harliquin Duck, Purple Sandpiper, Great Cormorant, Snow Bunting, and even the occasional pelagic. You certainly live in a great birding area, with Cape May just to the south.
Hi Alpha, yes S Jersey has great birding as it right in the Atlantic Flyway, and everything gets funneled through Cape May during migrations.

Harlequin ducks and purple sandpipers are two species I've never seen. Where in Barnegat SP have you seen these guys?

Sure thing. Just walk to the lighthouse and get on the jetty. It starts out with a paved path and railing, but keep walking way past where that ends and it turns into the raw jetty. The channel will be on your left and the dunes to your right. I’ve found the Harliquins anywhere past where the railing ends, out to end of the jetty. I’ve mainly found the Purple Sandpipers within the rocks on the channel side of the jetty a good distance beyond the railing and near where the jetty extends past the dunes and out into open water on both sides. I’ve had my best luck at low tide. There is also a better than average chance of encountering Snow Bunting, Savannah Sparrow (lpswich) and Great Cormorants (usually at the very end of the jetty).

Be careful and watch your step on the jetty as there is usually a thin film of moss that makes the surface surprisingly slick in spots. I usually wear Muck Boots as the rubber soles have good grip. Also, it is better to go during the week as the jetty will often have a good number of fishermen on the weekends.

Dak.....south jersey is a great place to bird. Forsythe is excellent. I lived there for 10 years and just recently moved to our home here in AZ. But make sure you do the spring and fall bird walks via the Atlantic Audubon Society as each Saturday from around 8 to 10/11 they take long walks. Lester, John.... Kevin etc, will lead the trips. Usually what is in Cape May, is in Forsythe as well. See this site ....I used to manage the web page for them and was on the board until recently (I used to do the blogs, the web page, the articles on birding results, events etc.... ) so can walk you thru anything or introduce you to people there. Really nice group of birders...... Are you into digiscoping or birding or scoping or bins or? jim

Hi Jim, did you know Becky? I think she was the director of the Atlantic chapter. My ex is friends with her. Yes I have done a couple guided walks. I lived in Atlantic county for 30 years and always visited Forsythe casually but since I took up photography I practically live their now. Yes I would love to communicate with any Forsythe staff, are they members here? And, what is digiscoping?

Attachments

• IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3238.JPG
    IMG_3238.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
Sure thing. Just walk to the lighthouse and get on the jetty. It starts out with a paved path and railing, but keep walking way past where that ends and it turns into the raw jetty. The channel will be on your left and the dunes to your right. I’ve found the Harliquins anywhere past where the railing ends, out to end of the jetty. I’ve mainly found the Purple Sandpipers within the rocks on the channel side of the jetty a good distance beyond the railing and near where the jetty extends past the dunes and out into open water on both sides. I’ve had my best luck at low tide. There is also a better than average chance of encountering Snow Bunting, Savannah Sparrow (lpswich) and Great Cormorants (usually at the very end of the jetty).

Be careful and watch your step on the jetty as there is usually a thin film of moss that makes the surface surprisingly slick in spots. I usually wear Muck Boots as the rubber soles have good grip. Also, it is better to go during the week as the jetty will often have a good number of fishermen on the weekends.
Thanks! I used to go kayak fishing at Meyer's hole on the bay side of the lighthouse. I will go birding there now.

Hi Jim, did you know Becky? I think she was the director of the Atlantic chapter. My ex is friends with her. Yes I have done a couple guided walks. I lived in Atlantic county for 30 years and always visited Forsythe casually but since I took up photography I practically live their now. Yes I would love to communicate with any Forsythe staff, are they members here? And, what is digiscoping?
Dak...yes, I have known Becky for years and I was on the Atlantic chapter board with her until recently as both of us stepped down this past year. But a nice lady. Say hi for me, if you see her. I don't know the staff at Forsythe anymore...but I do know the Sat bird walks are the best way to connect. As I said, John and Les...Kevin.... good people. John and Les and I went down to Ecuador and birded 5-6 years ago. They do the lead on the bird walks at Forsythe for Atlantic Audubon.

If you go to the web page, here is a bit that I placed in about my experiences with digiscoping.... https://www.atlanticaudubonsociety.com/digiscoping.html

Keep in touch....when I am back east, perhaps we can meet up and bird. I have a daughter in Haddon Heights so visit often and the grandkids.... jim

I think we might have met. My ex and I used to go to the Atlantic chapter meetings at the library. Maybe I'll start going again even though she might be there..

I checked digiscoping. I have a 150-600 zoom lens, but I imagine that a 40x scope gives much more reach. But does this rig have to be tripod mounted, or can it be handheld? I do most of my shooting on the move.

I think we might have met. My ex and I used to go to the Atlantic chapter meetings at the library. Maybe I'll start going again even though she might be there..

I checked digiscoping. I have a 150-600 zoom lens, but I imagine that a 40x scope gives much more reach. But does this rig have to be tripod mounted, or can it be handheld? I do most of my shooting on the move.
Has to be on a trip-pod to capture digiscoping considering all of the 'ins and out's.... plus the camera. It is a set-up amongst itself. The 150-600 will no doubt yield better images, but the digiscoping will yield the 'process' and satisfaction one gets from that process, of obtaining images. I often found big lens+ camera was just too easy. Of course I was into digiscoping in the late 90's so have grown with the tech. Always fun, and one can do it in any habitat too, but again, there is a learning curve. With that curve comes the intangible element of satisfaction , in my thinking.

jim

That sounds analogous to me and golf clubs. From eons ago, golf irons were 'blades', small and hard to hit well. Then 'game improvement' clubs came out, bigger and with hollowed out backs. But I still use blades because when I hit them well it is such a great feeling..

I saw the resident eagle family together today at Forsythe. Mom/dad with their offspring hanging out on an osprey platform. They were vocalizing to each other too, sounded like repeated chirping calls. Very cool.

Also, I have been wondering why the male winter ducks in this area sport their breeding plumage when their breeding takes place in Canada around May? The Sibley doesn't show their non-breeding plumage, so don't know if they change through the year.

Attachments

• IMG_3356.JPG
    IMG_3356.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3361.JPG
    IMG_3361.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back