• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Lincolnshire Patching (5 Viewers)

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out which Counties still use the Watsonian Vice County system to record birds in and which go by whatever the political boundary may change to (and why).

The Watsonian Vice County system was set to accurately record and compare historical and modern data and it seems that there can be/is confusion when some counties no longer use this system whilst others do. Does anyone in your county have a view on this ? Discussion here if anyone has a comment:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=142074

ps this is not about getting more or less county ticks, more a question about uniformity in recording.

Johnny Allan

Quick look a long the Welland between Spalding and Crowland.

First pair of Grey Partridge with 4 young running along road by cattery.
Hen harrier views down to 15ft. watched the bird hunting for over an hour.
Common terns, moved up river from Spalding area from all the dog walkers and boats.

GC Grebe
Oyster Catchers
LR Plover
Tufted ducks
Yellowhammer
Corn bunting x 2
Barn owl x 3

Steve

It was a female Harrier,
finished work now. going over for another look and some pics.

Pichbeck 1000hrs today
6 x green woodpeckers on footpath off bear lane. all birds on telegraph pole by dyke.

why is it birds always know when you havint got a camera with you.

Brain will pm you

Steve

Hi all,

I'm a Staffordshire birder, but went over to see some friends at Benington Sea End last weekend. Had a walk to Frieston Shore on the Sunday. The birding was pretty good, but I must mention Blandy's Farm Teas (2 mins walk from car park). Excellent value and very tasty cakes, scones etc. 60p for a pot of tea or coffee! Scone with jam & cream £1. Apparently it hasn't been open long, but I was talking to the owner & she said she's not getting many customers, so is thinking of shutting it down!
It would be a great pity if this is the case, so please go & support it, if ever you're out that way. You won't be disappointed.

Happy birding
Neil

Frampton Marsh Highlights 11/10

12 Grey Partridge, 1 male Scaup in eclipse, 2 Little Stint, 1 Curlew Sand, 70 Brent, 1 possible Blue winged Teal, 1 Wheater and a single Ringtail.

BUT

the main highlight had to be a female Red-veined Darter.

Attachments

• Red-veined Darter.jpg
    Red-veined Darter.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Hen Harrier.jpg
    Hen Harrier.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 51
:-O:-O:-O Picture Proof Buddy :-O:-O:-O

(its a running joke between 2 very competitive birders)

Last edited:
From yacht club to A16 bridge, river still frozen.
Tufted ducks 36, Mallard, Gadwell x 1, Pochard x 5, Curlew x 1, Woodcock x 3, Snipe x 1
Goosander x 7, Stonechat M&F, P-wagtail, Fieldfare x 18, Golden Plover x 36 flyover, lots of Blackbirds & songthrushes.
Merry Christmas all,

Hi scary-canary, I face the river so try to get along it most days, often throws up some good birds. The place will have changed alot, but still get barnowls along the top bank, and good numbers of marshharriers.

Hi scary-canary, I face the river so try to get along it most days, often throws up some good birds. The place will have changed alot, but still get barnowls along the top bank, and good numbers of marshharriers.

We never had a marsh harrier between spalding and crowland in 4 years of looking back then! Lots of short eared owls and once a long eared. A smew once and garganey but never anything rarer.

2 waxwings in the crab apple tree by the entrance to the swimming pool in Rowley Road Boston, were reported on Wed and seen today from 0830 on wards. they are very approachable. Park in the centre car park and just pop in and let the manager of the centre know you have come to see the birds. I spent the best part of an hour showing him and his staff the birds, so he is on our side.

Been almost a year since I last posted! I hang my head in shame. A quick summary of Northorpe Fen over the last week or two.

Bunting numbers pretty constant with a significant population of Reed Buntings and Corn Buntings looking to stay to breed this year. Yellowhammer numbers have dropped as April dawns, probably to find nesting sites. Mallards everywhere paired up and ready to nest. Unfortunatley one female was taken out by none other than a female Peregrine! A first for the Fen for me, although they have been seen in the area before. But it seems Peregrines are like buses. The Female was soon joined by a tiny in comparison male bird. The large finch flocks now beginning to disperse but large numbers of Chaffinches on passage with im sure a couple of Bramblings among them. A Merlin has been on the Fen all winter but now seems to have moved off for the summer. Also Little Egret been in the area. 30+ Fieldfares still present today looking as if they will be gone by next weekend though. Linnets in variable numbers, usual around 10 and plenty of goldfinches. Absence of Greenfinches slightly worrying...

Daniel

Had a woodlark at Deeping Lakes this evening. In the trees on the right just past the first hide (open backed one) also 5 chiffchaffs singing

Oooh just found this bit of the forum :)

Talking of Spalding Ticks, anybody else spot the Ruddy Shelduck on the Welland Bank ?

Ruddy_Shelducks2.jpg

Oooh just found this bit of the forum :)

Talking of Spalding Ticks, anybody else spot the Ruddy Shelduck on the Welland Bank ?

Ruddy_Shelducks2.jpg

Hi Ian,

I heard very little of the RS they was there for 4 days as far as i know, but not sure on any other news.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back