• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Lincolnshire Patching (1 Viewer)

Nice to see folk from Norfolk over at Frampton today, makes a change from us visiting Norfolk. Also the people from Wales, London and from up North. Hope its not to long before you visit us again, and the Oriental Pratincole was a real beauty.

Oriental Pratincole still @ Frampton Marsh today :) And as Pompadour444 said was nice yesterday to see so many birders from all over the country adding this fantastic bird to there year lists, I think its a first for Lincs and 5th for the country.
And was told yesterday that this bird is most likely to be the same bird as last year in Dungeness!

Hi All,i am planning a trip this Sunday with a few pals,this will be my last day out for a while(wedding,honeymoon etc getting in way)i am thinking of coming over your patch to try for the pratincole if it's still there,i just wondered what else to expect there or are there any nearby sites that might be worth a look,thanks in advance.

Frampton Marsh

Had a good day at Frampton Marsh and spent quite a lot of time watching the Oriental Pratincole at different times during the day in flight, resting, feeding until I finally managed excellent close views.

Lots of other species about included:-

Curlew Sandpiper
Dunlin
Curlew
Whimbrel
Redshank
Little Ringed Plover
Ringed Plover
Greenshank
Ruff
Wood Sandpiper
Lapwing
Oystercatcher
Avocet
Yellow Wagtail
Corn Bunting
Brent Goose (Large flock)
Barnacle Goose (In with Brent Geese)
Little Gull
Black Headed Gull
Garganey (Drake)
Shoveler
Gadwall
Shellduck
Arctic Tern (heading north)
Hobby
Sand Martin
Swallow
Little Egret

I've been to this reserve on a number of occassions previously and excellent it is too. There was a lot of bird activity there today.

Dean:t:

Happy Birding

Last edited:
Hello mickbe74

Hi All,i am planning a trip this Sunday with a few pals,this will be my last day out for a while(wedding,honeymoon etc getting in way)i am thinking of coming over your patch to try for the pratincole if it's still there,i just wondered what else to expect there or are there any nearby sites that might be worth a look,thanks in advance.

Check out our website for all the latest sightings in the Lincs region,

www.southlincsrspb.org.uk :t:

Looks like are secret out now about how good Lincs is for birding now. At least Norfolk should be quiet this weekend, they should all be here lol

Steve

Looks like are secret out now about how good Lincs is for birding now. At least Norfolk should be quiet this weekend, they should all be here lol

Steve

:-O If the Oriental is still about at the weekend you wont be able to move at Frampton, When we went Graham was on car park duty standing at the entrance :-O

That car park is not big enough :smoke:

what wrong with us in lincs not posting .
Saw following at gib point
25 little egrets
7 spoonbills
ruff
spotted redshank
little ringed plovers
grey heron
swan
curlew sandpiper
common sandpipers
green sandpipers
avocets
ruff
lapwings
redshanks
oystercatchers
spotted flycatcher
long tailed tits
chaffinches
goldfinches ( by the score it seems )

les

Local patching today, Went along the river to Deeping Lakes, 0600hrs - 0900hrs
Welland
Mute Swan, Turfted Duck, Wigeon, Greylag Goose, Coot, Moorehen, Great Crested Grebe, Heron, Little Owl, Barn Owl, Kestril, Sparrow Hawk x 2, Buzzard x 1, Marsh Harrier x 3, Wood Pigeon, Stock Dove, Collard Dove, Pheasent, Partridge, Grey Partridge x 3, Tree Sparrow, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Song Thrush, Black Bird, Corn Bunting, Grey Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper (Mr Watts new Scrape) Swallow, House Martin, Sky Lark, Meadow Pipit

Deeping Lakes
Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, Tufted Duck, Teal, Greylag, Mute Swan, Green woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker x 1. Dunnock, Robin, Blackcap M&F, Lesser Whitethoat, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Reed Bunting, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Spotted Flycatcher x 2, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Tree Creeper x 1, Sparrow Hawk x 1 Kestril, Hobby x 1, Jay, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch x 3, Common Tern,

Steve B

2 Yellow legged gulls at Baston pits this afternoon while I was collecting gravel. They were still there on the way back through.

Steve B

drive along the top bank from Crowland - Spalding today produced the following:
Snipe x 2 woodcock 1 opposite Gull farm on grass area. Buzzards x 2 (1 by pump house, 1 area of chicken farm on bottom road), Rough Legged Buzzard by four mile bar, then flew into the big trees on the Crowland side of the river, Whopper swans with mutes on field near Deeping st James turning. Fieldfares and Redwings plenty of ducks on open water by pump houses.

Daily drive along the Welland, from Spalding to crowland produced the following:
Common Buzzard x 1, Kestrel x 17, Great spotted woodpecker, Snipe x 1, Corn Bunting x 12 (last farm before water tower from Spalding), Yellow Hammer, Stonechats, Whinchat x 1, Siskin x 18, Fieldfare, Redwing, Little owl x 1

had six buzzards today, 4 between the new pond and Gull farm. Which then flew to the large trees on the other side of the river, and two by four mile bar.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back