• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Morocco (1 Viewer)

CGJ

Can anyone help with an e-mail address for the Auberge Soleil Blue at Boulmane Dades and for any other reasonable accommodation in the Merzouga and Oued Massa/Agadir areas.

If you want good solid advice, I would not go anywhere near the Soleil Blue. It is an extremely over-rated hotel where the rooms and just about everything else leaves a great deal to be desired!! So what that it is supposed to maintain a bird-log, I would rather spend a decent night and sleep in a clean room and have use of a bathroom that works. Kasbah Tizzarouine is an excellent choice in Boumalne and overlooks the town but is on the fringe of the desert email: Kasbah.tizzarouine 'at' menara.ma

I have only stayed in Riad Hotel Erfoud, clean and inexpensive, but have stayed twice now in Auberge Kasbah Derkaoua and stake my life you would enjoy it there. Not as expensive as most literature mentions, and only 30 minutes from great birding sites for many Moroccan rarities. Not sure of email addresses, but sure you can search on the net.

Great place to go for birding!! Have a good trip.

Thanks Peter, much appreciated. We go in 2 weeks and have now all reached the stage where a bit of comfort and cleanliness comes into the reckoning.

CGJ said:
Thanks Peter, much appreciated. We go in 2 weeks and have now all reached the stage where a bit of comfort and cleanliness comes into the reckoning.

No problem. Just for the record Soleil Bleu rooms were dirty, the pillows and bed felt like they were filled with lumps of coal and I won't go into the bathroom here!! It is worth mentioning I guide in Morocco 5/6 times a year, so I know the areas of Boumalne and Merzouga as well as any. If you need further advice please PM me and would be happy to advise as best I can. I get no pleasure downing hotels etc., in a public forum, I can only tell it like it is!!!!!!
;)

Hi
Couldn't agree more with Black Wheatear about the 'avoid soleil bleu' posts. stayed there a few years back and it was the dirtiest/worst hotel we used on the entire trip. The food was poor and expensive, almost no running water (no hot water at all) and all the two staff were intersted in was chatting up a couple of female Italian students (must admit they were pretty good looking, especially the dark haired one:) ).
The birding though was excellent, albeit a bit smelly round the rubbish dumps and watch out for the feral dogs in the same area. Generally reasonable/good hotels were easy to find and a little bit of schoolboy french should sort out any probs. we used the rough guide to find hotels and apart from the 'soleil bleu' didn't have any problems.

HTH

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back