• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish bird-related phrases (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hi All,
as someone who is using a regular Spanish course, that seems to do fine with teaching me how to ask for the library, but not with some specific words and sentences for birding. As I am also aware that Spanish is a variable language, phrase recommendations probably would benefit if you describe where you have heard it used. Initially, I will be going to Costa Rica, but other variations will also be welcome.

So a couple of specific ones I have wondered about:

"I am watching birds" ("Aves" seems not to be widely used where I have traveled before)

"Can I enter your land to watch birds"

"Binoculars" and "telescope" are another couple of words I have not come across.

Any other ones you have found useful?

thanks
Niels

1 Estoy observando (viendo) los pájaros (aves)
2 ¿Puedo entrar en su propiedad para ver pájaros?
3 Binoculares (prismáticos) and telescopio
Any other request pm me
Good luck Niels

One potentially catastrophic mistake a Spanish speaking family member of mine (she's Bolivian but I think its the same in Spanish everywhere) is to not mix up the word 'Pajaro' which means bird, with the word 'Pajero' which means something distinctly different. Urban dictionary it if you want to know!

Hi Motmot

Which term is used more - gemelos or binoculares?

Gracias

Mike

Gemelos (at least in Spain) sounds a bit 'old' but can be used, never heard it in Costa Rica though. The word they normally use in that country is 'binóculos', a term not used in Spain but fully acceptable.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far :t:

One potentially catastrophic mistake a Spanish speaking family member of mine (she's Bolivian but I think its the same in Spanish everywhere) is to not mix up the word 'Pajaro' which means bird, with the word 'Pajero' which means something distinctly different. Urban dictionary it if you want to know!

Mitsubishi cannot have been too happy when they figured that one out :-O :-O

Niels

For 1. I would say also 'Estoy mirando pájaros'
For 2. you could also say 'Podría pasar a su propiedad para mirar (observar) pájaros?

Thank you all!

I had heard about the Nova (no va ;) ) but in context of Chevrolet on the American side of the Atlantic.

Niels

Nice story. I only knew about the little front wheel drive version mentioned in passing, and from the one car I test drove assumed the story to be correct: it was not a very nice car to drive no matter where you lived.

Niels

Double entendres are very common in Spanish and vary from country to country, so you have to be careful how you use many words and phrases. Pajarear (to bird) or pajareando (birding) are terms that are starting to be used more now among spanish speaking birders. In El Salvador these terms also mean to idle about or dilly-dally (while you whistle idly like a bird), but in Cuba they mean to hang around waiting to pick up a gay lover.

Tom

Double entendres are very common in Spanish and vary from country to country, so you have to be careful how you use many words and phrases.

I started my first entry into latin america with one of those. Well also paired with poor spanish. Before arriving at the airport in Nicaragua, I emailed the people there to pick me up at the airport by using the word "coger" for "pick up", which is harmless (not totally correct though, should be recoger) in spain but not so over there...

Well, nowadays us Latin Americans have got used to hear and well understand "funny" expressions from tourists, so you don't need to rack your brain. The people in Costa Rica are extremely polite, they will certainly not make you shame yourself if your Spanish is not very good. They are more likely to excuse themselves for not speaking English, trust me.
But if you do mind, allow me a couple of "polite" advices:
- Use "aves" rather than "pájaros" when meaning birds. The latter one could raise a subtle smile in some countries, especially in combination with "ver"
- Use "observar" instead of "mirar" or "ver". It better conveys the idea of being observing birds, their features and behaviour, not "just" looking at them, especially when talking to people that may well ignore what "birdwatching" is.

Nice trip!

Well, nowadays us Latin Americans have got used to hear and well understand "funny" expressions from tourists, so you don't need to rack your brain. The people in Costa Rica are extremely polite, they will certainly not make you shame yourself if your Spanish is not very good. They are more likely to excuse themselves for not speaking English, trust me.
But if you do mind, allow me a couple of "polite" advices:
- Use "aves" rather than "pájaros" when meaning birds. The latter one could raise a subtle smile in some countries, especially in combination with "ver"
- Use "observar" instead of "mirar" or "ver". It better conveys the idea of being observing birds, their features and behaviour, not "just" looking at them, especially when talking to people that may well ignore what "birdwatching" is.

Nice trip!

Good advice. I am pretty certain that I accidentally referred to w**ker-watching rather than bird watching when I was in Ecuador a few years ago... :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back