• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow Help (I should know this one) (1 Viewer)

Merg

I know that this has to be in either Sibley's or Peterson's...but for the life of me I can't find it, and I'm drawing a blank on its ID...

Help.

You're looking at the back end of the bird here...

Attachments

• sparrowunkn.JPG
    sparrowunkn.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 124
Maybe a Little Bunting ?

//Ben

Merg said:
I know that this has to be in either Sibley's or Peterson's...but for the life of me I can't find it, and I'm drawing a blank on its ID...

Help.

You're looking at the back end of the bird here...

wow, tough angle, i think Song Sparrow, although not a subspecies i'm familiar with,

edit, this could be cleared up quickly with another photo from the front or if you remember anything about the bird's breast (streaked or unstreaked)

riecket13 said:
wow, tough angle, i think Song Sparrow, although not a subspecies i'm familiar with,

edit, this could be cleared up quickly with another photo from the front or if you remember anything about the bird's breast (streaked or unstreaked)

This was the only angle I had on him. I wish I'd been able to see the front..

Here are all the pictures I was able to get...

Attachments

• DSC_0181 copy.JPG
    DSC_0181 copy.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0182 copy.JPG
    DSC_0182 copy.JPG
    284.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0183 copy.JPG
    DSC_0183 copy.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0184 copy.JPG
    DSC_0184 copy.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 56
Song Sparrow for me.

Ben - Little Bunting doesn't occur in North America.

EDIT: Just a note to Gentoo - I can see how some rufous tones could be deceiving and misleading to Swamp, but I'd expect a darker eye-line in addition to other features (have more to say, but rushing out the door right now - later guys).

Last edited:
I'll give a third (or is that 4th) vote for song sparrow. The reddish colour in the eyeline and no wing bars, in combination with the thick lateral throat line, and red in the tail, primaries, and greater coverts essentially leaves little else...and the season, location and jizz is right.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back