• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow help - Jug Bay, Maryland, USA (1 Viewer)

bcl05

Hello - I saw this sparrow today at Jug Bay in Maryland. I am puzzled - the bright yellowish pink legs and light colored bill are throwing me off. It was in a scrub meadow with many chipping sparrows, a few white-throated sparrows, at least one swamp sparrow, and a few song sparrows. I was thinking a juvie chipping, but can't make up my mind. I haven't yet found any pictures in my books (inc. the Beadle/Rising sparrow book) with legs like that, though they do seem fairly variable. Vesper maybe? Eye ring not strong enough? Help please!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Sparrow for ID.jpg
    Sparrow for ID.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 106
With a broad, dark line through the eye like that, I wouldn't think Vesper is a candidate.

I don't see anything inconsistant with juvenile Chipper though - dark in the lores, streaked crown, bill and leg colour all fit.

Cheers,

Agree with Juvenile Chipping sparrow.

I haven't yet found any pictures in my books (inc. the Beadle/Rising sparrow book) with legs like that, though they do seem fairly variable.

My Beadle and Rising photo guide shows some with pink legs. E.g. 18.4.

Best,
Jim

Thanks Peter and Jim. I thought it was a chippie, but couldn't quite commit. Confirmation is always helpful...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back