• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow, prize for scientific explanation for its disappearance from many UK cities (1 Viewer)

GiGi

The 'Independent' newspaper has an item in today's publication, re it's offer since the year 2000 of a £5000 prize for a scientific explanation for the disappearance of Sparrows from many British cities. This award they state will be given for the first paper to published in a peer reviewed scientific journal which in the opinion of the judges convincingly explains the disappearance of the House Sparrow, Passer domesticus from the centre of London and other major British towns and cities. The judges are the Royal Society of the Protection of Birds - (RSPB), The British Trust for Ornithology and Dr. Denis Summers-Smith.

I guess we may have a view contributers who may be willing to put a forward a paper. However for me as very much a lay person I would be interested to know naively if this is a pecularity only to Britain or is it common in other industrialised countries or any where else. Perhaps other countries may have unexplained disappearance of other bird species once common and now no longer

GiGi

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back