• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk? and geese, Cottbus area, Germany (1 Viewer)

Henry_Flower

Germany
Could anyone help with a couple more IDs? First bird was tussling with the crows today -- sparrowhawk? Very overexposed, sorry.

spawk_cottbus_q.jpg

And a few of many geese at one of the lake areas near Cottbus last weekend. I'm guessing Bean Goose, based on the dark underwing? If so, can we differentiate Tundra/Taiga?

geese_cottbus_q.jpg

Thanks!

Hello Henry,
agree with a Sparrowhawk. But I see the chase often the other way around.
And I agree with Bean Geese. Seeing the two coloured underwing in most similar Greylags is sometimes more difficult in pictures, than one might think it is. But after downloading and enlarging it, I see Bean Geese in all of them.
Shape is good for the default form in Cottbus, a Tundra BG.
Please note that Taiga BG is a rare bird away from their traditional wintering areas around the Oder Valley in NE-Brandenburg and some areas in MVP.

Thanks, it's good to have an idea of the distribution.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back