• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk Hunting Along Waterway. (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
I've been in cars numerous times when a Sparrowhawk has hunted low along the road (with hedges on both sides) ahead of the car, which is something they are known to do. Recently I've encountered a similar hunting technique being employed by (probably a pair of) Sparrowhawk on the Dighty Burn in Dundee, most likely targetting Dipper, Grey Wagtail and Kingfisher. As with the hunting along the roads the bird stays close in to one side, and flies rather low above the water. Has anyone else seen this technique being employed by Sparrowhawks along waterways elsewhere?

Yes, I've observed this several times. Most recently about a month back on my local Sunday morning patch in outer west London suburbs. I was standing at the edge of a small brook & a Sparrowhawk, oblivious to my presence (I was standing still), flew just over a metre from me & below me along the water course, no doubt hoping to flush something. A couple of Teal stayed put.

Yes, I've observed this several times. Most recently about a month back on my local Sunday morning patch in outer west London suburbs. I was standing at the edge of a small brook & a Sparrowhawk, oblivious to my presence (I was standing still), flew just over a metre from me & below me along the water course, no doubt hoping to flush something. A couple of Teal stayed put.
I didn't think it could possibly be a one-off, so glad to get confirmation that someone else has seen it being employed elsewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back