• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

in a word...no...the bill is as it should be on a Hobby, primarily because that's what it is

(apologies if that sounds a bit 'off', not meant to be)

Last edited:
Jonny H: Yes Juv hobbys do have a brown wash you are very wrong (whether all non adult plumages i don't know). Hence another basic error means i don't trust judgement at all (sorry).

Also london birder your discription is admirable apart from the fact that you are unable to distinguish the breast streaking of a mistle and a fieldfare (should be very basic especially after people have tried to explain it to you). Therefore i don't trust your judgement neither (sorry).

Ghostly vision your competive twitcher element to you blurrs your ability to persuade me that it’s a hobby. Saying it just is cos it just is, is both uncooperative, unconstructive and unscientific.( the reason twitchers, with me, get a bad name)

When faced with a still image of a bird mentioning jizz in proving it is a certain species holds no value in prooving this. (I have done it myself but people who do it excessively peev me off).

Jizz is a term for when a person experienced with a certain species bird gets a fleating glance and is able to id it.

I am definitely open to this being a hobby I am just waiting for someone whose judgement i trust to convince me..

Last edited:
Bolton, are you seriously insinuating I cannot identify a Mistle Thrush from a Fieldfare after 28 years of birding? You cannot be serious pal....I looked at the thrush photo, saw what appeared to be chesnut coloured mantle and a grey rump...hence my ID as a Fieldfare ... bear in mind also that the person who took the snap also indicated he thought it looked Feildfare-like in another pic (though then subsequently changed his mind ~ although we haven't seen the other pic) ... I'm more than happy to accept it as a Mistle Thrush however if that's what it proves to be, no big deal...conversely, your (up to your last post) maintainence of the identification of the bird in the conifer as a Peregrine (or NOT a Hobby) is, frankly, laughable, the fact you have little faith in other peoples identification skills (particularly as it isn't even a contentious photo) won't cause many to polish their lenses in a hurry, of that I'm fairly sure ... Furthermore, I'm not trying to convince you it's a Hobby, I really don't care whether you think it's a Hobby, Sooty Falcon or a cone nibbling Great Auk ... I know what it is

Last edited:
Ghostly Vision said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just read through this whole thread. The bird was obviously a Kestrel, and I'm sure Tom was winding everyone up with his first couple of posts.

Tim Allwood - you should hang your head in shame right now, and stop making excuses about poor monitors. I now ask you to take back all the disparaging comments you make about twitchers being crap birders, and to submit descriptions for all the birds you claim to have found in Norfolk. As for your expert friends, there's no need to quote them in the future now, because their opinions obviously mean the same as yours. Nice that you publicly told everyone who was correct that your "expert" friends' opinions were more valid than theirs. Apology? The "expert" label that you seem to have acquired for no real reason on this forum should now be rescinded. Please remove all previous posts on the i.d. thread as they add nothing to any of the debates. Go back to the weird music you listen to and stick to that.

Joke - note the smiley :D

The other bird is a HOBBY. Don't ask why, go and look at some when they come back next summer. Meanwhile, during the winter, look at Peregrines (which incidentally do sit in trees with some regularity, but not usually ones with red mantles). Another joke - note the second smiley :-O

GV

See how long it takes to get this one taken off.

GV

Watcha mate

what can i say?

you'd better be on yr mettle for the next few months!!!

never claimed to be an expert.... don't often get it wrong though.... :cool: but like everything i do i try to it well and with style...i think i succeeded

hope to see you over here soon :t:

Tim

it's too long looking at Roborovski's Rosefinches and not enough looking at the trash you chase boy... ;)

Last edited:
bolton birdman said:
Cornish exbile your competive twitcher element to you blurrs your ability to persuade me that it’s a hobby. Saying it just is cos it just is, is both uncooperative, unconstructive and unscientific.( the reason twitchers, with me, get a bad name)

Come again? Two things, mate:

I'm the last person you could call a competitive twitcher - mainly because I haven't been a twitcher in the true sense of the word for years. Apart from going to see 2 lifers within Shetland in the past 2 years, and one trip south on the ferry for the Belted Kingfisher, I've birded exclusively on my local patch. In fact, apart from the Dorset Rubythroat, Kent Audouin's Gull (local for me at the time) and the Anglesey Black Lark, I haven't been twitching for since the mid 90's.

Secondly, show me where I said it was a Hobby, Peregrine or any other raptor you care to mention. My 'irony' post was in reply to the bloke who'd apparently not realised the initial Kestrel had been put to bed. On the occasions I've posted on why-I-think-something's-a-something, I've always said why.

ce

CornishExile said:
Come again? Two things, mate:

I'm the last person you could call a competitive twitcher - mainly because I haven't been a twitcher in the true sense of the word for years. Apart from going to see 2 lifers within Shetland in the past 2 years, and one trip south on the ferry for the Belted Kingfisher, I've birded exclusively on my local patch. In fact, apart from the Dorset Rubythroat, Kent Audouin's Gull (local for me at the time) and the Anglesey Black Lark, I haven't been twitching for since the mid 90's.

Secondly, show me where I said it was a Hobby, Peregrine or any other raptor you care to mention. My 'irony' post was in reply to the bloke who'd apparently not realised the initial Kestrel had been put to bed. On the occasions I've posted on why-I-think-something's-a-something, I've always said why.

ce

oops I am very sorry I meant ghostly vision (I'll change it)

Bolton Birdman,

See my previous post on why it is a Hobby (no. 217) - I did explain the reasons. Don't think it was me who said it is one because it looks like one.

I do appreciate you don't get them that far north, so I will forgive your misidentification. I won't accept your rudeness though. I studied Hobbies for years on the local patch, watching a number of nesting pairs throughout the summer. They look like the bird in the photo.

Not sure what your credentials are before I am willing to take your word for anything?

Timmeeeh - good reply. Must get my ticket to the Stupids as there's a Kestrel that might be a Peregrine if it sits in the right tree!

GV

Last edited:
bolton - are you admitting this bird is a hobby ? the whole idea of jizz is actually interpreted as a 'feel' for a bird and this just feels lke a hobby photo or not . i seem hobby at the nest and have 20 years ezperience so jizz is sumat i know and generally trust.

tom mckinney said:
How the flying **** did I miss this thread for so long?

"Cornish Exbile"!

Best thread ever. Without question.

LOL. Again apoligises to cornish. After my outburst it looks like i have added to a few more peoples hate list along with you tom.

bolton birdman said:
LOL. Again apoligises to cornish. After my outburst it looks like i have added to a few more peoples hate list along with you tom.

Not at all, Bolton. You've been 100% correct on ID of late and I never liked that Ghostly Vision bloke. :hi:

Being so close, we should go birding together sometime! You can teach me how to ID birds and maybe I can turn you into a filthy tick hungry twitcher? :gh:

B :) B :) B :)

bolton birdman said:

ha ha
never

lifes to short

it's all good fun

and if anyone's got a blacklist then i wanna be on it...

Tim

tom mckinney said:
Not at all, Bolton. You've been 100% correct on ID of late and I never liked that Ghostly Vision bloke. :hi:

Being so close, we should go birding together sometime! You can teach me how to ID birds and maybe I can turn you into a filthy tick hungry twitcher? :gh:

B :) B :) B :)

:smoke:

McKinney, you're smaller than me (in every respect) and I don't need low-listing Stoke birders to sl@g me off. I'm sick of your snyde comments and am going to request you be removed from BF.

:'D :'D :'D :'D

tom mckinney said:
How the flying **** did I miss this thread for so long?

"Cornish Exbile"!

Best thread ever. Without question.

oi, mckinney, y'birdspotter.

you want some?

outside. now! ;)

hope you gave bristow my regards on your recent twitch, btw. nice one.

ce

Movie

Hi,

I found out to copy part of the movie to memory stick.
Suppose I can not put this into appendix, it is 1,8 megabyte.
I tried, "Invalid file type" was the response. The original is file.mpg .
The resolution is not as hight as the original one.
The noice is possible to here.

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter,

After you posted the additional photos I think everyone is agreed that your mystery bird is a Kestrel, so we won't need the sound or video files to finalise the identification.

Stuart

Hey .. what's up around here? If we start from the top... it's cleary ... we can't ID the bird just with the picture this thread start from. Peregrine or Kestrel.. who cares? I see a Kestrel and some see a Peregrine.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back