• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrows demand more sunflower seeds after first week of supply (1 Viewer)

B1FF

Austria
I have two plates on the porch for sunflower seeds for birds. (Nobody liked the berries.) All sorts of birds are customers now, but most are sparrows. The birds are extremely shy and bolt even when I stealthily peep through the blinds. Yesterday I heard loud chirping from the porch, so I went to check if there was a problem, expecting a foot stuck somewhere or bullying. Instead, a sparrow was sitting at one of the empty plates complaining loudly. I restocked the seeds while the sparrow was watching from the fence, still chirping. Today, I heard loud chirping again, finding two sparrows, one at each plate, complaining about depleted rations. They flew away when I came closer for pouring the good stuff, but kept a shorter distance while waiting then yesterday's sparrow. I will be curious to see if some sparrows become less fearful of me. (The sparrows in the open-air areas at local cafes often sit on top of the backs of chairs at the same table with patrons. Not everyone likes that.)

I don't believe I've ever seen a sparrow at my sunflower seed feeders.

How can that be? I don't think that I've made a mistake, sparrows are easy to identify (from the chirping, also from behavior and looks, of course). Are there any sparrows where you live? Do other birds eat the seeds? Blackbirds and tits (not quite sure) are fond of my meals, too, but visits are much rarer. I buy peeled seeds (the only type available at the mall).

Oh yeah I get plenty of birds. My yard count is at 156.

Perhaps if I try using the sunflower heart seed (although quite expensive) perhaps I'll see some.

I put out sunflower hearts, our sparrows love them (not as much as they do suet balls, mind you). When we moved in, two sparrows were coming into the garden. 20 years later, we have a flock of 30 on the feeders. :)

Bring down the temperature of your feeding site/allow them to feel safer. In turn you'll get a wider variety and they will not be as jumpy. Just placing random feeders/plates without adjoining cover i.e. canopy or the ability to stage will always create a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back