• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squash Bug ID? (Ketton, Rutland) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

Found this bug almost by accident as it flew into me and ended up on this grass.

I think it is Syromastus rhombeus (Rhombic Leatherbug) but could someone confirm because it is a little out of area.

Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• Pic6.jpg
    Pic6.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 14
My only doubt was that it appears to be a fair way out of area.
Last year my friend Jason and I found two separate colonies of Trapezonotus ullrichi (Ullrich's Groundbug) in Nursling just NW of Southampton. Up to that date they were known (in Britain) only from coastal cliffs in Cornwall, Devon and Pembrokeshire. But the ID is relatively straightforward so we had no doubt and submitted the records through iRecord and the records were accepted.

I try to ID the insect that is in front of me based on the physical characteristics. If there is a choice between two similar insects that are known to have completely separate geographical distributions then I might have to use location.

Anyway, leaving all that aside, this is Syromastus rhombeus - a really good find - and I'm sure the recording scheme would be really interested

Last year my friend Jason and I found two separate colonies of Trapezonotus ullrichi (Ullrich's Groundbug) in Nursling just NW of Southampton. Up to that date they were known (in Britain) only from coastal cliffs in Cornwall, Devon and Pembrokeshire. But the ID is relatively straightforward so we had no doubt and submitted the records through iRecord and the records were accepted.

I try to ID the insect that is in front of me based on the physical characteristics. If there is a choice between two similar insects that are known to have completely separate geographical distributions then I might have to use location.

Anyway, leaving all that aside, this is Syromastus rhombeus - a really good find - and I'm sure the recording scheme would be really interested
Thanks Paul and good advice.

Thanks Dyrlege. My only doubt was that it appears to be a fair way out of area.
I believe they have wings?
Same for insects as for birds, they are not always aware of their place in geography ๐Ÿ˜Ž
You have made a very plausible ID, and not been called out!

I believe they have wings?
Same for insects as for birds, they are not always aware of their place in geography ๐Ÿ˜Ž
You have made a very plausible ID, and not been called out!
Thanks Dyrlege. I am a very amateur photographer/naturalist. I have always found an interest in the small things that pass most people by. And with the help of a macro lens they become a whole lot more interesting.

It is interesting that this species has moved from the coast (presumably), that's aleast 47 miles as a crow flies. I suspect that some species are having to adapt due to habitat loss and climate change.

Thanks Dyrlege. I am a very amateur photographer/naturalist. I have always found an interest in the small things that pass most people by. And with the help of a macro lens they become a whole lot more interesting.

It is interesting that this species has moved from the coast (presumably), that's aleast 47 miles as a crow flies. I suspect that some species are having to adapt due to habitat loss and climate change.
It may also be that no-one has actually found AND bothered to ID one in that location before๐Ÿ˜„.

I think that it will likely be moving north with global warming but insects also get shifted around with vegetation / transport.
The NBN map is below - some records quite close to Rutland.

Attachments

• rhombic2.jpg
    rhombic2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 4
  • rhombic.jpg
    rhombic.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 4
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back