• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Squeaky toy" night calling bird (Manchester, UK) (1 Viewer)

Some bird (or small group) calls every night, any time during the night from dark until light. I have not noticed it during the day or at dusk, only full dark.

The best description is probably that it sounds like a squeaky dog toy... here is a not very good recording (turn the volume up!)

It's fairly loud, clear and noticeable.

They call either from a small playing field or from the trees nearby. It's right next to a river and close to a small nature reserve with woodland and wetlands.
This is where I hear them:

My best guesses so far:

Little Owl
Fully nocturnal behaviour and call don't quite match.

Young tawny owl
Doubt it but not sure. It has been going on for a couple of months at least and I think they do it while flying.

Barn owl
This is not nearly so screechy. More cute than terrifying!

Parakeet
Unlikely! But there's a bunch living nearby which make squawky calls during the day...

An obsessed person with a squeaky chicken toy
You never know...

Hope you don't mind CrazyDunnock but I've edited and uploaded your recording with an increase in volume to give members a better chance of identifying the bird/s

Attachments

• Squeaks edit.mp3
    174.2 KB
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back