• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

St Marys Island (1 Viewer)

cuddy

Brian Robson
Down at 8:30 to visit and record my local patch, not great migration weather here on the east coast but here's my list for today.

Fulmar
Cormorant
Grey Heron
Greylag Goose
Teal
Mallard
Shoveler
Tufted Duck
Eider (AKA Cuddy duck)
Kestrel
Grey Partridge
Pheasant
Moorhen
Oystercatcher
Ringed Plover
GoldenPlover
Lapwing
Sanderling
Purple Sandpiper
Dunlin
Redshank
Common Sandpiper
Turnstone
Black-headed gull
Lesser Black-backed gull
Herring gull
Great Black-backed gull
Sandwich tern
Woodpigeon
Swift
Skylark
Sand Martin
Swallow
House Martin
Meadow Pipit
Pied Wagtail
White Wagtail
Wheatear
Blackbird
Sedge Warbler
Whitethroat
Magpie
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
Starling
Chaffinch
Linnet
Reed Bunting

Also 4 species of Butterfly Small White, Green-Veined White, Small Tortoisehell, and Peacock.

First Whitethroat on patch this year.

A pretty good selection there. i will have to have a trip up that way one day. I got as far as Whitburn and Marsden yesterday.

Hi Ian I have been down your neck of the woods at Saltholm pools To see the Marsh Sandpiper, missed it the first day but was rewarded by good views or Wood Sandpiper and Male Garganey.

But managed to see the Marsh on the following day, I must get round to viewing Cowpen one day .

Cuddy

Hi Cuddy. The one thing I think of when I think of St Mary's island is the lighthouse keeper making us (school party about 30 years ago now) go up the interior ladder facing the wall, but making us all go down facing outward into the void below. I couldn't do it so he let vertigo sufferers like me go down the ladder the proper way which was bad enough! Lovely place all the same.

I also got the Marsh Sand yesterday! Put my bike on the train down to Billingham & cycled from there. Super bird, and just after the Lesser Yellowlegs too

Michael

cuddy said:
Hi Ian I have been down your neck of the woods at Saltholm pools To see the Marsh Sandpiper, missed it the first day but was rewarded by good views or Wood Sandpiper and Male Garganey.

But managed to see the Marsh on the following day, I must get round to viewing Cowpen one day .

Cuddy

I saw it too. It's a shame the Avocet and Little Egret seem to have moved on. The Egret sems to have moved across to Coatham at Redcar. There was a Black Necked Grebe and Temmincks Stint on Saltholme Back Pool on Monday too.

It's certainly a good area for birding.

I think Saltholm is superb and as the RSPB develope it and the surrounding area you are gonna have some amazing days birding.

Cuddy.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back