• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stay-on case for an ancient Kowa? (1 Viewer)

Micealh

Ireland
I recently returned to birding after a family break that lasted 25 years. I have been using my old Kowa TS-601 (a 1989 purchase that cost £189 for the body and £47.50 for a 20x wide angle eyepiece). Back then, in my late 20s, I must have been relaxed about the possibility of dropping the scope or the effects of the elements, because I never bothered with a stay-on cover. I have contacted Kowa, who say they don’t do one for that model, and I wondered whether any forum user might suggest an alternative to me.

It may be possible that another brand of stay on case will fit; Is your 601 like this, or this?

If it is the former, I'd advise measuring it and comparing against the various Opticron s.o.c. one of these three should fit:

It may be possible that another brand of stay on case will fit; Is your 601 like this, or this?

If it is the former, I'd advise measuring it and comparing against the various Opticron s.o.c. one of these three should fit:

Thanks Daniel. I couldn’t see the second picture but I’m pretty sure my scope is the first one. I shall look into the Opticron cases.

Last edited:
I recently returned to birding after a family break that lasted 25 years. I have been using my old Kowa TS-601 (a 1989 purchase that cost £189 for the body and £47.50 for a 20x wide angle eyepiece). Back then, in my late 20s, I must have been relaxed about the possibility of dropping the scope or the effects of the elements, because I never bothered with a stay-on cover. I have contacted Kowa, who say they don’t do one for that model, and I wondered whether any forum user might suggest an alternative to me.
I have a cover that may fit give me the size and i will try to work it out (brand new ).It depends on the length I think.

Last edited:
I have a cover that may fit give me the size and i will try to work it out (brand new ).It depends on the length I think.
Thank you for responding. The overall maximum length from objective lens to tip of the eyepiece is long - 44.5 cm. From the objective lens to the centre of the tripod thread is 23.5 cm. The depth is 15 cm and width is 18 cm. Thank you.

Thank you for responding. The overall maximum length from objective lens to tip of the eyepiece is long - 44.5 cm. From the objective lens to the centre of the tripod thread is 23.5 cm. The depth is 15 cm and width is 18 cm. Thank you.
Sorry this is 4cm short.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back