• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stilt Sandpiper or Dunlin? tampa march 24 (1 Viewer)

Stilt sand for me. Its bill is not too long (compare this headline image from ebird), but most importantly the stripe continues over the eye. In Dunlin this is clearer before the eye after which it peters out

That’s the image that made me think stilt sand, but I’ll let you pros decide, because shorebirds are not my strong suit. I will upload some photos of the other Dunlins i found. The main reason why I didn’t think dunlin was size, because it seemed like the dunlins I was sure about were closer in size to the sanderlings. But I will go through the photos and upload them later tonight when I get the chance. However this may also be the curlew sandpiper, so maybe it’s best left unidentified??

Last edited:
Agree with Stilt Sandpiper - size and shape look good (rather tall compared to the dowitchers, or at least taller than I would expect a Dunlin to appear) and the pale eyebrow with a hint of buff in the cheek also look good for Stilt.

Stilt sand for me. Its bill is not too long (compare this headline image from ebird), but most importantly the stripe continues over the eye. In Dunlin this is clearer before the eye after which it peters out

Agree with Stilt Sandpiper - size and shape look good (rather tall compared to the dowitchers, or at least taller than I would expect a Dunlin to appear) and the pale eyebrow with a hint of buff in the cheek also look good for Stilt.
You disagree?
Dunlin for me, too. The bill is way too long for Stilt Sand.
I think relative size and bill shape favor Dunlin.
Seems like a discussion, so Im going to add the photo of the dunlins i saw. But the reason I felt it was a stilt sand was because I got multiple shots of dunlins among sanderlings, westerns sands and least sands, and they looked small like this one below. Sorry I have no more good pics, those annoying kids kept scaring off the flock.
1712011249665.png

Seems like a discussion, so Im going to add the photo of the dunlins i saw. But the reason I felt it was a stilt sand was because I got multiple shots of dunlins among sanderlings, westerns sands and least sands, and they looked small like this one below. Sorry I have no more good pics, those annoying kids kept scaring off the flock.
View attachment 1569529
Right, stilt sandpipers are approaching lesser yellowlegs size, while dunlin can easily blend in with other peeps. Another thing to note is that dunlin have a fairly even curvature to the bill, while stilt sandpipers have a more pronounced droop near the bill tip. I think your first photo shows this drooping bill characteristic quite well!

Thanks to everyone above for some really informative posts(y)

I'm still not quite sure it's Stilt Sand after looking again, but I'm much less convinced it's a straightforward Dunlin.

Right, stilt sandpipers are approaching lesser yellowlegs size, while dunlin can easily blend in with other peeps. Another thing to note is that dunlin have a fairly even curvature to the bill, while stilt sandpipers have a more pronounced droop near the bill tip. I think your first photo shows this drooping bill characteristic quite well!
This picture shows significant size difference between dunlin and dowitchers that i got:
1712027804518.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back