• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stink Bugs have taken over my Feeders (1 Viewer)

Namvet66

Anyone out there who can tell me how to get rid of Stink Bugs, please let me know.

They have taken over my feeders, it has gotten so bad that the birds no longer come to feed, I took down my feeders until I can resolve this problem.

Any help will be appreciated.

Namvet66 said:
Anyone out there who can tell me how to get rid of Stink Bugs, please let me know.

They have taken over my feeders, it has gotten so bad that the birds no longer come to feed, I took down my feeders until I can resolve this problem.

Any help will be appreciated.

How are your feeders arranged so that stinkbugs can even get into them? I thought stinkbugs were mainly ground critters...

It is possible that the fruits (I'm guessing you are using a suet or fruit feeder) are being dropped on the ground and that is attracting them up to your feeder.

Perhaps if you laid a ground cloth or plastic sheet beneath the feeder and cleaned it daily?

I don't know of any pesticides that wouldn't also be harmful to the birds.

Terry O'Nolley said:
How are your feeders arranged so that stinkbugs can even get into them? I thought stinkbugs were mainly ground critters...

It is possible that the fruits (I'm guessing you are using a suet or fruit feeder) are being dropped on the ground and that is attracting them up to your feeder.

Perhaps if you laid a ground cloth or plastic sheet beneath the feeder and cleaned it daily?

I don't know of any pesticides that wouldn't also be harmful to the birds.
Terry,
My feeders are hung from a multi feeder stand, I have a tube feeder,a wire peanut (Shelled) feeder, and open bottom feeder, a hummingbird feeder, a suet feeder.

These stingbugs come out of the oak tree and get into the ports of the tube feeder, cluster on the peanuts, dont, bother the suet or hummer feeder, also like to eat the Cardinel food in the open feeder. The food is about three weeks old and the feeder are clean.

Stink bugs do not like orange peel and orange peel is not harmful to birds. You just empty your feeders and clean them. You then take orange peels from several oranges and put them in the bottom, then you pour the seed on top.

Pinacate Beetle

A stinkbug is a Pinacate Beetle. They are known as a stinkbugs because of their defensive strategy. When disturbed, they release a foul-smelling substance.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back