• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stork-billed Kingfisher (pelargopsis capensis/p. c. cyanopteryx)? Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Date: 20-Oct-2021

PIC-20211020-080019-DSC00176-A7R3.JPG

I am confused between pelargopsis capensis & pelargopsis capensis cyanopteryx of Stork-billed Kingfisher. Which has buff cap?

According to Phillipps Field Guide, "Sumatra and Borneo race (p. c. cyanopteryx) has a buff cap". Based on my own google search, the one with buff cap most directed to "pelargopsis capensis" instead.

Need help to clarify this if someone could point out the one I taken is pelargopsis capensis or pelargopsis capensis cyanopteryx.

Many thanks.

There seems to be some confusion here perhaps. Pelargopsis capensis isn't the name of a race - it's the name of the species as a whole, i.e. including all the races of that species. Pelargopsis capensis cyanopteryx is one of those races. In general with species that do not migrate it is not very useful or instructive to worry about what race individual birds belong to. The race of a bird that you see will be the race of all the other birds of that species occurring in that area. If the book says that the birds of a given area belong to a given race, then that is what what they will all belong to.

There seems to be some confusion here perhaps. Pelargopsis capensis isn't the name of a race - it's the name of the species as a whole, i.e. including all the races of that species. Pelargopsis capensis cyanopteryx is one of those races. In general with species that do not migrate it is not very useful or instructive to worry about what race individual birds belong to. The race of a bird that you see will be the race of all the other birds of that species occurring in that area. If the book says that the birds of a given area belong to a given race, then that is what what they will all belong to.
Awesome. Thank you @Butty

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back