• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Storm petrel to ID (Portugal - today) (1 Viewer)

Miguel Berkemeier

Some moments before I saw some Hydrobates pelagicus in the same place, and then this bird passed a little further from the beach.
Firstly I thought this bird was also one of them, but the flight seems a little different... could it be a Hydrobates leucorrhous or does it still fit H. pelagicus flight style?

Hmm good question, I really didn't think about a raptor at that moment because I had just seen storm petrels before and it was far from the beach... but of course it doesn't mean anything, and now that you mention that and after seeing the video again the bird seems to have a long tail... and curiously I saw an Eleonora in the same place having the same behavior years ago. But I understand it's surely very difficult to make an identification for this bird

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back