• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Storm Petrel (1 Viewer)

Maroon Jay

Airborne
Canada
There are many Storm-petrels that are similar. I marked this one as Band-rumped but am not positive. Photo taken in Galapagos.

Attachments

• Band-rumped Storm Petrel 1s.JPG
    Band-rumped Storm Petrel 1s.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 68
Not band-rumped I think as its feet project well past the tail. What about Wilson's?
I think you are correct about it not being Band-rumped because of the legs sticking out the back. But Wilson's is not present in Galapagos, I am now thinking White-vented although I was unable to see the white patch on the underside. Can someone confirm?

It's either White-vented (Elliot's) or Wilson's but I dont think you can ID from this image. Wilson's has not been recorded around the Galapagos on eBird but given it has been recorded on the Ecuadorian coast, I would assume it is possible there. On balance more likely Elliot's but I dont think you can be 100% on the image.

99.9% chance it is Elliot's. Certainly looks like one, and they're abundant there. But without seeng the belly, it's tough to be categoric.

Thank you very much. Too bad I didn't see the underside. Going out on some boat trips the next two days so hope to see another.

I have a little more than 200 images from Galapagos I have labeled as Elliott's. Some of these, but a clear minority, shows a pale area on the underside (minority because most is from an angle that hides that area). On some birds this is whitish, on others it is grey, with the darkest medium grey. So if seeing the white on the underside is your criteria for ticking Elliott's, you will have to be patient and take a lot of photos. Or you can just trust that 99% of the small, pale-rumped storm petrels with longer legs are Elliott's.
Niels

Thanks Neils, I agree it is probably Elliotts. But not 100% sure so I asked a guide who works for Galapagos National Park and he was sure it was Elliots. Thank you.

Thanks Neils, I agree it is probably Elliotts. But not 100% sure so I asked a guide who works for Galapagos National Park and he was sure it was Elliots. Thank you.
I think he likely took it by the 99% likelihood. It should be virtually impossible to recognize this from Wilson's on a static image showing only the upperside. (flight mode can help with the likelihood). But the fact that no true Wilson's have been identified at Galapagos improves the statistics.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back