• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Bird - Ontario Canada (1 Viewer)

k_bobs5

Hello!
To start I’m new here and I was just hoping someone could help me identify a bird. I currently don’t have any pictures because it tends to like to hangout in our big pine trees but I will do my best to describe it. A couple weeks ago while sitting outside I heard a strange laughing bird. I went to investigate and couldn’t find anything different. At our house it’s common to have mourning doves, robins, sparrows, cardinals, blue jays, and even woodpeckers. This bird I have only seen a few times as it tends to be quite good at hiding in the thick of trees. From what I’ve seen it’s fairly large about double the size of an American robin, it’s tail feathers are light brown and pretty short. They also span directly across with no tip like the majority of birds I have seen. As it’s very elusive I have yet to see it’s face or even body colour. It’s song is something like a laugh, and my first thought was it could be comparable to a kookaburra. I’m always intrigued when I hear it and have been searching through Ontario’s list of birds but I just can’t figure this bird out. If it happens to come somewhere I can take a picture I will post it. My husband thinks it’s a cockatoo :-O. I actually have no idea what it could possibly be, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to BirdForum!!
Your description of the bird has me intrigued. My wild guess is Pileated Woodpecker, but that is a wild guess. :)
It could be helpful if you could get a sound recording of the bird. Picture would also be great obviously. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back