• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange goose FanninCounty GA (1 Viewer)

Nedrajane

United States
0165A67D-258E-4C91-8263-A502BB599D49.jpegThis goose was seen yesterday , 4/26/23 at fhe Blue Ridge Marina, Blue Ridge GA. It has a sloped head, slightly barred breast, and short neck but doesn ‘t seem to fit any known category. At first I thought that was a drop of water at the end of the bill but on closer looks it appears to be
a round ball of some type and the bill is slightly open. It was there the entire time it was observed so not something to consume.

"Canada" goose with some kind of bill deformity (it's not discarded fishing gear is it?). In the UK they frequently hybridise with various other species. This doesn't look like a hybrid to me but perhaps stateside viewers know better.

Doesn't look like a hybrid to me either. It does look a tiny bit darker than the bird behind it, but (other than the bill, obviously) it's within normal variation for Canada. In particular, hybrids tend to show a change in shape and/or color of the white cheek patch, which this bird doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back