• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Osprey Behavior (1 Viewer)

DuckNorris

United States
I live in the suburbs in Southeast Florida not far from the Everglades.

About four times in the past month or so, I've heard a distinctive call that sounds like a distress call.

Upon investigating, it's coming from an osprey that is flying about 100-200ft above my neighborhood.

The osprey always flies in an undulating pattern (up and down). I'd guess the undulations are maybe 10 feet in amplitude.

The last time I noticed it up there, I also noticed it kept its legs and talons extended as though it were about to catch a fish or land on a branch, but it was a 100-200 feet in the air and kept flying up and down. I don't remember it having its legs extended the other times, but maybe I just didn't notice.

The first time I noticed this, I saw another osprey join the one making the calls, and they flew off together.

Is this maybe how ospreys find each other?

I didn't see what happened the other times.

I see ospreys all the time around here when I go out birding, but I've seen the above behavior only in my neighborhood and only recently.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back