• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strangest place to find a nest! (1 Viewer)

Moraybirdlover

Yesterday myself and a friend visited a small garden which is open to the public but is quiet at the moment. It is a formal garden with gravel paths. As we approached the central feature where all 4 paths met, 3 common gulls started making a lot of noise and started swooping down at us. A few steps closer and I saw 2 eggs in a small dip in the gravel with a small amount of dried grass around it.:eek!: We beat a hasty retreat and were not many steps away when a parent returned to sit on the eggs.

Just wondered if anyone else had experience of nests in public/inappropriate places?

we had a blackbird a few years back build a nest over the bank holiday on the tow bar of a lorry which was shunted round the yard from time to time not once did she leave the eggs or youngsters which incidentley all fledged

Robin

I have a Robin nesting in my birdbox which i thought would only be big enough for tits
It has chicks
I am surprised that it chose this site

My parents have had Collard Doves nesting on their satellite dish which is completley open on the side of the house, which itself is on a crossroads, for months. They keep laying and the eggs keep falling out of the nest but they dont seem concerned and just continue trying !
Regards
Ian

I once found a Say's Phoebe nest under the hood of an old junker car abandoned in the Nevada desert, miles & miles away from anywhere. The hood was propped open just enough for the phoebe to gain entrance. I couldn't see inside but the parents were bringing in food so there must have been young. As always in such cases, the car was riddled with bullet holes having been used for target practice over the years.

At work we had a trailer that was pulled from Virginia to NJ. When the Mechanic opened up the engine inside was a HUGE Starling nest and inside were 5 babies. They were starving as they hadn't been fed in about 4-5 days. I took them to a rescue center. We were shocked that they survived the trip.

Theres a Blue tit nesting in an Ash tray outside of a busy shop near where i work. had to go and have a look when i heard about it! it had three chicks on the weekend.

Currently have great tits nesting on our postbox, directly outside the front door. They come back every year & don't seem to take a blind peice of notice of our coming and goings..

Strangely enough we have half a dozen boxes throughout the garden which to my knowledge have never been used.

g tit.jpg

IMG_0782.JPG

I've got Pied Wagtails (with chicks) in my tractor's tool box.
You can just see the access door, low down on the far rear wheel arch.
This is a picture taken last year in October IIRC.

Attachments

• Tractor_Oct081.jpg
    Tractor_Oct081.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I currently manage a section of a welding and fabrication company and in my stainless steel workshop last year we had a pair of swallow's nest inside on our roof beams. going on below was grinding welding etc etc, happily they fledged 5 healty young how i dont know with all the commotion below, anyway they must have liked it because there back again this year already on the nest.:t:

Darryl

A friend told me once she hung a pair of jeans out to dry, left them for 2 days and when she went to get them down, she found twigs in one of the pockets -- apparently a bird was attempting to start a nest in the pocket of her jeans!

Northumberland Great Tit takes notice

Yesterday myself and a friend visited a small garden which is open to the public but is quiet at the moment. It is a formal garden with gravel paths. As we approached the central feature where all 4 paths met, 3 common gulls started making a lot of noise and started swooping down at us. A few steps closer and I saw 2 eggs in a small dip in the gravel with a small amount of dried grass around it.:eek!: We beat a hasty retreat and were not many steps away when a parent returned to sit on the eggs.

Just wondered if anyone else had experience of nests in public/inappropriate places?

The attached photo was taken by my wife last week. The nest is down the hole in the top of the post. The sign says 'Road unsuitable for motor vehicles'.

Attachments

• CSC_0017.JPG
    CSC_0017.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 35
The attached photo was taken by my wife last week. The nest is down the hole in the top of the post. The sign says 'Road unsuitable for motor vehicles'.

i found a great tit nest very simular to this today, its nesting in a metal fence post gaining entry by a hole in the side where the fence would of been attached. the great tit continued to bring food even whilst i stood there everytime it arrived the hole was full of little yellow mouths making alot of noise !.

washington wildfowl centre last year had a sign on one of its ashtrays saying please do not use blue tits have nested inside - again !

A number of years back I remember seeing on TV a story about a European Starling who's nest was in one of the light recesses on a school bus. The bus did an 80 mile route each day with the adult(s) feeding the chicks along the route. They were successful. Tenacious.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back