• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Summer bald eagles in Homer/Kenai AK, advice needed! (1 Viewer)

laurencejackson

I am planning a photography trip next July to Minnesota for black bears and Alaska for bears and bald eagles...My question is regarding Homer and the Kenai peninsula where I hope to be based for a week or so. What is the bald eagle situation like there now in summer, now that the eagle lady has passed on? I have read anecdotally that there are still eagles around, especially on the spit at Homer, but are they in generally large numbers? I realise its a winter Mecca of sorts, but I'm in Australia and because of work I can't get there in winter unfortunately.

Any advice, locations, tips or stories would be most welcome thanks!
Laurence

Sorry no one has responded sooner. My family and I camped at the end of the Homer Spit during late August 2022 and we observed many Bald Eagles. Not hundreds as there were when they were being fed salmon meat, but dozens at least - more than enough to be assured of many sightings every day. One in particular seemed to enjoy a garbage bin and could be approached very closely (maybe 12 feet). Others sat on business roofs or the light poles above the small boat harbor (a much more pleasant view but farther away).

By the time you drive down from Anchorage to Homer, I would guess you will see eagles along the way. Just south of Anchorage is a wetland called Potter’s Marsh. It’s well worth a stop for ducks, shore birds, and eagles often nest at the north end. South of Turnagain pass, where the road splits and you turn towards Homer, there is a very pretty, shallow lake (Tern Lake) that is good for waterfowl and there are often, though not always, eagles around. Certainly just south of the Kenai/Soldotna dump (which can be seen from the main road) you should see some, along with many gulls, ravens and possibly crows. Just before you arrive in Homer, the road comes close to some steep bluffs and eagles often glide on the up-drafts if the wind is blowing towards shore.

Close views of eagles are fun but not hard to find in Homer. There are many other birding opportunities in Homer. No doubt you will have spotting scopes and the waters around the spit are full of scoters, loons, ducks, kittiwakes, mergansers and the like. There is a walk to a scenic overlook of Beluga Lake just north of the Homer Airport that has good ducks and some forest birds as well as moose sometimes.

There is also a nice boardwalk out along the mud flats near the Old Town portion of Homer that usually has some shore birds, gulls, and I’ve seen Whimbrels there a couple of years. Also for forest birds the trail system around the Homer museum is pretty nice. Varied Thrush, Boreal Chickadee, Brown Creeper and both local Kinglets are all possible there.

If you haven't already, visit Kachemak Bay Birders – It's a Great Day to Bird as it has a good local checklist as well as local sightings information.

I didn’t mean to write a book so I’ll sign off but best of luck on your trip!

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back