• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Super-Powered Owls:Natural World - 3/3/2015 Tuesday BBC2 20.00-21.00pm (1 Viewer)

That was excellent, particularly the explanation of the vascular system in Owls necks - something I'd never thought about before - and the Snowy Owl mobbing Grey Wolves. Thanks for letting me know it was on Kathy ( I'd probably ended up watching Top Gear reruns on 'Dave', or something equally soul destroying ).

That was excellent, particularly the explanation of the vascular system in Owls necks - something I'd never thought about before - and the Snowy Owl mobbing Grey Wolves. Thanks for letting me know it was on Kathy ( I'd probably ended up watching Top Gear reruns on 'Dave', or something equally soul destroying ).

Great programme. Really enjoyed it as owls are my favourite birds. Much information on the programme I knew about anyway, but it didn't matter as it was well put over and presented. I think I am right in saying that the scenes where the snowy owls are mobbing the wolves was taken from Gordon Buchanan's recent programme on the White Wolves. The scenes seemed familiar.

Si.

Some excellent information about how owls hunt. Owls are often described a silent fliers, but it was amazing to see how little sound they made in comparison to other species when measured using high sensitivity microphones.
I missed a 10 min section in the middle which I need to re-watch. Less sure about some of the stuff of the couple rearing baby owls - flying around their house etc. Whether their policy of letting the owls free to either return to them or find somewhere else of their own is good strategy I don't know. I thought that most birds/animals reared in that way were careful released in areas that had the right habitats, but weren't already the territory of the same species.

good program, i enjoyed it and thought some of the Science was fascinating, there were quite a few inaccuracies regarding the footage in field though and the way Owls were portrayed as indomitable creatures that have very few vulnerabilities.
Firstly and its important to us Skua lovers, the Skua mobbing the Snowy Owl was a Pomarine something you'd think nature documentary makers would of got right. The context of the footage was that the Owl was protecting its young whereas the behaviour suggested much more that the Skua was mobbing the Owl either because it was a threat or that it was close to the Skua's young.
The footage showing the Great Grey Owls dexterity in the tree tops neglected to mention the fact that some Owls will fall from tree tops and become separated from their parents and become vulnerable, similarly British do struggle in snowy conditions and day hunting Barn Owls do so just as much because there is an abundance of prey rather than a shortage. Despite this bias it was very enjoyable

Enjoyed it as much as the first time - excellent programme o:)

Despite of the Barn Owls being captive - they still had a mind set of their own and one grown chick took its freedon back and that was a good thing at the end of the day.

Another interesting aspect was the speed and lightness of bird flights. Barn Owls have the silent flight and it was proved to be the case on the programme.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back