• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Superzoom replacement for Canon SX50 (1 Viewer)

crazyfingers

Hi there. It's been a while since I last visited but my birthday is coming up and I'm looking for possible replacements for my aging Canon Powershot SX50's. I have three of them but they are all developing quirks as they age. I'm looking closely at the Lunix FZ80 as one possibility but have not been able to get a good read on how that performs at maximum optical zoom in terms of picture quality vs the SX50.

At one point I did get a Canon SX60 and hated it. Picture quality at the long zoom end was very noticeably poor when compared to the SX50. I also tried the Nikon P900 and it was just too huge for my purposes and had other issues that I hated about it.

I never tried the Canon SX70 as it appeared to be the same lens as the SX60. I never got a definitive answer on how closely the SX70 could match the SX50 for maximum optical zoom picture quality.

It appears that the Canon SX540 might have the same lens as the SX50 did but lack of a viewfinder is a deal-breaker.

Any thoughts on cameras that are currently avaiable that would be at least as good as the old SX50 is at maximum zoom?

As I read more the Lumix 80 doesn't get great scores for image quality.

How about Sony HX400v?

I wish Canon would bring back the SX50 lens on an updated camera - with a viewfinder!

Hi CF and welcome back. I got the SX60 and get where you’re coming from. Felt I got better pictures with my SX50. Good luck with your choice.

Rich

There are people here very happy with their Sony Rx10-iv. There are people very happy with their Nikon p900/p950/p1000. I have seen people very happy with a pana fz300, as well as the model you mentioned. I have not seen the same level of enthusiasm for a Canon superzoom lately.
Niels

I have the canon SX50. I can't see me ever parting with it. I also have a Canon 90D with a Canon 100-400ii and a Nikon P1000 yet I would never go out birding without the SX50. And if I were to take only one camera out it would be that. What a pity Canon doesn't come up with a proper upgrade like same lens and processor with 4K a microphone input and touchscreen. I thought it was here with the SX70 but reviews seem to suggest not. What's more of a pity is I can't see Canon or anyone else developing anything like it ever again. If my SX50 should ever die I would buy a second hand one the same day.

I have the canon SX50. I can't see me ever parting with it. I also have a Canon 90D with a Canon 100-400ii and a Nikon P1000 yet I would never go out birding without the SX50. And if I were to take only one camera out it would be that. What a pity Canon doesn't come up with a proper upgrade like same lens and processor with 4K a microphone input and touchscreen. I thought it was here with the SX70 but reviews seem to suggest not. What's more of a pity is I can't see Canon or anyone else developing anything like it ever again. If my SX50 should ever die I would buy a second hand one the same day.
I know you have seen this thread, but did you also see the last few posts (starting at post 60): Canon Powershot SX70 HS review

Niels

I am keen to join this thread as I can't believe Canon has not seen the market for a decent replacement for the SX50. The SX 60 & 70 have not got the lens of the SX 50 so I am also in a quandary as my beloved SX50 is failing. Canon please come up with a decent replacement, possibly with larger sensor.

I am keen to join this thread as I can't believe Canon has not seen the market for a decent replacement for the SX50. The SX 60 & 70 have not got the lens of the SX 50 so I am also in a quandary as my beloved SX50 is failing. Canon please come up with a decent replacement, possibly with larger sensor.

I waited a long time but finally got an SX70 and I do believe that I'm getting better photos at the max zoom than I did with the SX50. See the SX70 topic for some samples.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back