• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (1 Viewer)

Anyone know if the North Camp Station Waxwings are still about?

Went down to North Camp at about 2:30PM as I'd never really seen Waxwings close-up. Got a bit more than I bargained for! I'm no expert but there were at least a couple hundred and they didn't seem bothered by the cars/people. Will attach a couple of quick snaps for proof!

NeilB

Attachments

• _DSC0063_001.jpeg
    _DSC0063_001.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 64
  • _DSC0065_001.jpeg
    _DSC0065_001.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 66
Went down to North Camp at about 2:30PM as I'd never really seen Waxwings close-up. Got a bit more than I bargained for! I'm no expert but there were at least a couple hundred and they didn't seem bothered by the cars/people. Will attach a couple of quick snaps for proof!

NeilB

Neil,

thanks. Bagged them this afternoon. Nice pictures which show them in all their glory.

Rich

Last edited:
Great pictures, Neil. Looks like they're in the same trees I saw some in (though nothing like the number there was today by the looks of it!) on Sunday. Let's hope they stick around over the weekend!

Great pictures, Neil. Looks like they're in the same trees I saw some in (though nothing like the number there was today by the looks of it!) on Sunday. Let's hope they stick around over the weekend!
Apparently there were 703 Waxwings there this morning.

Bagged the 18 Bewick's Swans at Cobham - great birds for Surrey

Rich

Last edited:
150+ Waxwings at North Camp Station this morning. Disappointed to see photographers (presumably birders) attempting to get too close to the bushes as the birds landed, thus scaring them away. I always thought the welfare of the birds was paramount but obviously not in some cases.

Rich

Last edited:
Excellent morning spent round local sites mopping up some good birds, the Bewicks Swans are still present at Cobham now numbering 14 inc 2 juvs which is good to see. Next was Bookham where one Hawfinch showed well briefly on the common behind the station. After Bookham I thought I would try for the Grey Partridges at Peasmarsh, parked up on Stakescorner Road & scanned the field to the right, bingo! 2 just showing above a trough. On a roll now on to Cutt Mill where I soon found the Goosander (4) on the House pond along with a miserly 2 Mandarin. On the way back home stopped off in Seale at the football pitch & had great views of a Buzzard perched in a tree plus a Kestrel.

John.

Excellent morning spent round local sites mopping up some good birds, the Bewicks Swans are still present at Cobham now numbering 14 inc 2 juvs which is good to see. Next was Bookham where one Hawfinch showed well briefly on the common behind the station. After Bookham I thought I would try for the Grey Partridges at Peasmarsh, parked up on Stakescorner Road & scanned the field to the right, bingo! 2 just showing above a trough. On a roll now on to Cutt Mill where I soon found the Goosander (4) on the House pond along with a miserly 2 Mandarin. On the way back home stopped off in Seale at the football pitch & had great views of a Buzzard perched in a tree plus a Kestrel.

John.

John, good days birding it would seem. Rich H and I went to Bookham this morning and picked up a Hawfinch from the little car park perched high in the trees adjacent to the Station. On the way home picked up another 60+ Waxwings behind North Camp Station.

Rich

John.

Sounds a great day, John! Whereabouts is the house pond? I've just got back from Cutt Mill, was hoping to see the Goosander and Mandarin, but no luck. I wonder if I was looking in the wrong place? Matt.

Sounds a great day, John! Whereabouts is the house pond? I've just got back from Cutt Mill, was hoping to see the Goosander and Mandarin, but no luck. I wonder if I was looking in the wrong place? Matt.

You may have been, Matt. The main lake you can see from the road is not the lake the birds tend to be on. The correct bit of water is hidden behind the trees (you get to it via a walk along a side-road marked as private, on the right after the water if your coming from the Elstead direction).

Last edited:
You may have been, Matt. The main lake you can see from the road is not the lake the birds tend to be on. The correct bit of water is hidden behind the trees (you get to it via a walk along a side-road marked as private, on the right after the water if your coming from the Elstead direction).

There were 6 Goosander there last night (incl 2 drakes). Reports of Firecrest between the Tarn and Warren Pond in a Holly Bush this afternoon also (via Surrey Birders).

Rich

Last edited:
Female Eider this afternoon at a sadly 'private' site in the south of the County. Having visited the site I can understand why! Views of the bird were distant but a welcome addition to my Surrey List. 2 Great Northern Divers at Staines which I only found out about once I arrived home. Now trying to find an excuse to leave home to go and see them. Might not be able to push my luck.

Rich

Last edited:
There were 6 Goosander there last night (incl 2 drakes). Reports of Firecrest between the Tarn and Warren Pond in a Holly Bush this afternoon also (via Surrey Birders).

Rich

Latest News. Ten Goosander at Cutt Mill (via Rich Horton). This site is perhaps a roosting site with numbers increasing daily.

Rich

11 Goosander (3 drakes) at Cutt Mill Pond late afternoon. Also 12 Mandarin (8 drakes) but no sign of the Firecrest. The majority of Goosander were flushed by two birders crashing through the copse to get to see them. Great fieldcraft guys - top tip, step quietly and don't kick plastic bottles at your dog! Obviously not in the SAS.

Grumpiness over.

Rich

Dipped the Great Northern Divers at Staines this morning, arrived on site & spoke to a visiting bird club who advised that they had departed in the direction of King George VI. Moved onto Staines Moor where we found one Water Pipit along the river which eventually gave good views. I saw the report of the Firecrest at Cutt Mill when we arrived home & jumped back in the car, but despite a search of Holly Bushes either side of the causeway no sign.

John.

Don't know if this has been sighted/reported but I'm 75% sure we saw a Hen Harrier on Ash Ranges yesterday just after 3PM. We saw it near to the Henley Park range. I'll attach a shockingly bad picture that I've also enlarged - it was too far away for any better shots. I'm guessing it's a Hen Harrier because of the white patch at the top of it's tail?

This leads me to a question. Should I report any sightings (if I'm sure what it was!) and who should I report them to? I wouldn't class myself as a dedicated birder but more a lover of all wildlife. I'm more than happy watching deer or birds or (hopefully this summer) dolphins! Am more than happy to report sightings though. Would Surrey Birders (and Going Birding for Hampshire sightings) be a good place to start?

Thanks,

NeilB

Attachments

• possiblehenharrier.jpg
    possiblehenharrier.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 61
No problem with your ID. Definately a Hen Harrier.

You've answered your own question when it comes to reporting. Surrey Birders is the place to put it first. Then go to the Surrey Bird Club website:
http://www.surreybirdclub.org.uk/index.html , and check to see if Hen Harrier is a species requiring a description (can't remember off hand), and submit the record to the county recorder.

Sean

Thanks for confirming the ID Sean.

I've submitted the sighting to the Surrey Birders website. I'm a bit confused about the differences between Surrey Birders and the Surrey Bird Club though. It says on the Surrey Birders website that all sightings will be provided to the county recorder - so is submitting to both necessary?

Coincidentally, we've just had a Siskin in our garden for the first time!

Thanks for confirming the ID Sean.

I've submitted the sighting to the Surrey Birders website. I'm a bit confused about the differences between Surrey Birders and the Surrey Bird Club though. It says on the Surrey Birders website that all sightings will be provided to the county recorder - so is submitting to both necessary?

Coincidentally, we've just had a Siskin in our garden for the first time!

Neil,

great sighting. I would suggest that you also submit the record to the Surrey Bird Club website where it will get to the County Recorder more quickly. Attach a copy of the photo with the email you send for ease.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back