• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi Clive,

The Grebe ranges throughout the southern half of the pond - sometimes it can be quite close in to the southern shore, sometimes it can be right out in the middle of the pond. If your luck is with you you'll probably get the best views from the southern shore (along the footpath east of the yacht club off Pond Lane - there are several fishing swims to view from along there).

Shaun

Thanks for this. Saw the grebe on Saturday but as expected it was too far out for photos. Couldn't find the Great Grey Shrike at Thursley. The Slav is interesting, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to try for that until next weekend.

Clive

Shaun

The Slav is interesting, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to try for that until next weekend.

Clive

Clive,

Slav Grebe still present on Manor Lake today. A little further out today but still around the traditional Tern raft. It can be hard to find, with it diving often and the restricted views through the gaps in the bushes.

Kevin

Does anyone know the best area at Thursley to look for the GGShrike? I've been a couple of times this week and no joy. I'm probably looking in totally the wrong area! Any pointers gratefully received.

If you head out from the Moat car park onto the boardwalk (Heath trail) and when you reach the patch of trees, look over to the left, and that's the general area. It can be extremely distant though. I saw it yesterday and it was miles away. I think it showed a bit better when it first turned up (there were photos) but it doesn't like disturbance. It's best to pick a quiet weekday if possible, yesterday the car park was full to overflowing.

Update on Willow Tit Forest Green Rich H has not seen or heard Willow Tit at Forest Green for two years now. Despite having well stocked feeders visited by Marsh Tit and three or four days worth of ringing he has not caught up with this species.

A Willow Tit was last seen and heard by both myself and Rich two years ago and I believe that we were the last to see in this location. I was there two weeks ago and we walked for two hours to no avail. I had seen reports of a couple south of the A3 on the Willow Tit in Surrey thread but have not heard anything since. Having spoken to Johnny Allan I believe that there were moves to confirm location but commercial sensitivities were proving a barricade. I would suggest that this species is now extinct in Surrey and Forest Green was its last toehold.

Anyone know if the SEOs are back at Papercourt Meadows this year? I'll be coming down at Christmas, and if they are, we would love to see them again.

Thanks

Steve.

Steve,

I had one Short-eared Owl at Papercourt on Oct 6th, and there have been sporadic reports from there since Sept, but either people aren't reporting them or the birds are not frequenting the area this year in numbers comparable to last winter.
Staines Moor may be a better bet, with 3 birds reported there over the weekend.

Matt.

Thanks Matt. I'm not familiar with Staines Moor - could you give me a bit more info please, eg where to park, and where is best to view from... I'm going to be very short on time, so really don't want to waste time in the wrong place ;-)

Thanks,

Steve.

There are three ways to access Staines moor. 1) Hithermoor rd, Stanwell, 2) Moor lane, Staines and 3) Waters drive, Staines and this is the one I manly use. walk over the little bridge over the river Colne and straight over the little park to a swing gate, go through that and keep walking a couple of hundred metres, go under the staines by pass and you will be on the moor. here is a WORD OF WARNING Staines Moor is a natural flood plain and does flood and for the unwary you will not know where the rivers banks are, so take great care. Lastely if you want a good view of the Moor and not go on it, go onto the Staines by pass from the m25 Junction 13 end and drive along for about 1/2 mile you will see a lay by pull in there park and walk back 50 yds and you will have an elevated view the whole moor. Hope that helps p.s. always the chance of a shrike as well

Hope you've managed to catch up with them, Steve. 6 there today. Only 2 hunting while I was there between noon and 13:30, but I was more than happy with that!

Matt.

Not published on the Surrey Bird Club Sightings page and not worthy of inclusion on Birdguides but there has been a Barn Owl at Tice's Meadow since well before Christmas on an almost nightly basis. The bird is working the whole of the meadow and is best viewable from the viewing mound. Occasionally the bird has also been joined by a Short-eared Owl and recent sightings have also included an adult Gannet, 8 Bewick's Swans and a Jack Snipe. Tice's Meadow is always worth a visit and there is a thread on BF covering sightings.

Two Ravens east over Shrike Hill at Thursley this afternoon, before I legged it to Papercourt for a magnificent Great Northern Diver on the sailing pit. A fine afternoon out!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back