• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (1 Viewer)

Tices Meadow Badshot Lea 15/3

I had two LRP on the main pit this morning. Pics are not great tho very hazy out there...

Attachments

• Tices Meadow LRP 3.jpg
    Tices Meadow LRP 3.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Tices Meadow LRP 2.jpg
    Tices Meadow LRP 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 65
Three Redshank, 2 singing Cettis & Drake Red Crested Pochard at London Wetland Centre this morning. At Staines Res were 2 very smart Black Necked Grebes moulting into summer plumage.

John.

A hospital appointment in Tooting on Monday involved a visit to three birding sites beforehand. Firstly to Tice's Meadow to attempt to get a better view of LRP (five had been seen ther in the morning). None were present although as I arrived Rich H pointed out 8 Golden Plover flying away from the workings. The LRPs at the moment appear to be passage birds as all leave after a couple of hours.

Next I head with Rich H to Thursley Common where we connected to Jack Snipe, Curlew and the Great Grey Shrike on Shrike Hill. Still no Stonechats though and this species is still missing of my Surrey Year List.

Finally, as it is near Tooting, I dropped in at Barnes. Nothing expectional although I did see my first 2 Surrey Redshanks of the year and also heard at least 2 Cetti's Warblers. The lack of Sand Martins was not surprising although I do think they are possibly slightly late this year as generally I have seen at least 1 by now.

Rich

This has just appeared on the Sussex Ornithological Society website, is there anyone closer who can check it out?:

''Driving along the M25 clockwise, just after Junction 9 at Leatherhead, I am 99% sure I saw a common crane landing by the river this morning at around 9am. I don't know any Surrey birders but perhaps someone else reading this will?''

Sean

John Allan and I checked the area out as best we could this afternoon. No joy with the Crane but found a pair of Goosander on the river.

We viewed the area from Cobham Rd which crosses over the M25 giving plenty of views of fields and a small section of the river. We also moved further down the road and viewed another area of fields.

A pair of Goosander on the river. A few buzzard overhead and 2 Little Egret.

Regards

Kojak

I started the day off at Canons Farm where Richard Garrett and I joined Devil Birder and Paul to get good views of Lesser Pecker in the mist... Thanks DB

I dropped Richard off and made my way to Beddington Farm just as I got out of the woohoomobile I received a text from Badge "Avocet" at Barnes WWT. He appeared a few seconds later and we were off.....

I saw the Avocet after renewing my membership which not recomended when an uncommon bird in Surrey VC is on the lake, also present was an unringed Barnacle Goose (Now Ac2 for ticking purposes) and heard 3 - 4 Cetti's getting flight views of one, Red Crested Pochard, a single Dunlin (a group of 3 arrived whilst we were on another part of the reserve),plus 2 Redshank.

News of a Crane near J9 M25 (see above posts) reached Badge and after a very short discussion we were off again in an attempt to re locate this bird.

No joy in finding the Crane but a pair of Goosander on the river buzzards and 2 Little Egret were seen.

Badge had been given a site for Barn Owl which wasn't too far away so off we went to Ripley where hey presto Barn Owl was seen along with a pair of Stonechat, pheasant and kestrel all before dusk.

We agreed that a good days birding had taken place..!

Many thanks go to the providers of the news / information today....Im sorry I dont know the names of some of the sources.. Without this assistance our yearlists would not be anywhere near as high as they are.

Kojak

Attachments

• Barnes WWT Pied Avocet 1.jpg
    Barnes WWT Pied Avocet 1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Barnes WWT Barnacle Goose 2.jpg
    Barnes WWT Barnacle Goose 2.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 61
  • Barnes WWT Barnacle Goose 1.jpg
    Barnes WWT Barnacle Goose 1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Ripley Barn Owl 1.jpg
    Ripley Barn Owl 1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Next I head with Rich H to Thursley Common where we connected to Jack Snipe, Curlew and the Great Grey Shrike on Shrike Hill. Still no Stonechats though and this species is still missing of my Surrey Year List.

Rich, have you tried Whitmoor Common near Guildford for Stonechat? I saw a male and female there a few weeks back.

Matt.

Plenty of Stonechats at Thursley right now, also had a male at Crooksbury this week. We normally have a wintering pair at Tices but I assume the severe weather at the year end/start had an impact on the local population.

Cheers,

John.

Beddington Farm 18/3

2 Blackwit picked up by Dodge flying S over the North lake at 0710hrs.. The S lake was checked but there was no sign.... pics by Dodge

Kojak

Plenty of Stonechats at Thursley right now, also had a male at Crooksbury this week. We normally have a wintering pair at Tices but I assume the severe weather at the year end/start had an impact on the local population.

Cheers,

John.

Picked two up this morning at Thursley. Thanks for all advice - I usually get loads but this year they have been absent for too much time.

RichB :)

Canons Farm Banstead 03/04

Male Ring Ouzel for 2nd day (Also Female yesterday) and a Black Redstart this am... Devil Birder strikes again...

Thanks Devil for the news...

A 2nd Fem Ouzel has been found this afternoon......Ouzel fest!

Attachments

• Canons Farm Ring Ouzel 1.jpg
    Canons Farm Ring Ouzel 1.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Canons Farm Black Redstart 1.jpg
    Canons Farm Black Redstart 1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Beddington Farm 05/04

Red Kite flew NW at 0700hrs mobbed by corvids. LRP x2, Swallow x c10.

Last years Surrey bogey bird bagged... Woo hoo!

Attachments

• Beddington Farm Red Kite 1.jpg
    Beddington Farm Red Kite 1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 72
The Black Redstart was still present today (10th) at Thorpe Park. Preferring the eastside of the farm buildings near a red water/oil tank and a five-bar gate leading to the new diggings (TQ026687). Viewed from the public footpath running through the park. It showed very well but maybe more elusive if present tomorrow when more workers return.

A bonus edition to my patchlist and a Surrey tick.

Does anybody know what is happening to the old Thorpe Park Farm?
It has been closed for at least 4 years and in the past few months alot of work is happening in that area. They have also put a fair number of screen hides around the edge of Manor Lake, built a Tern raft and created a new pond/scrape area. Are they going to open a Nature Centre? I don't think many of the visitors to the Theme Park would be attracted away from the rides.

Kevin (KPD)

Visit to Crooksbury this morning produced some Spring migrants - 1 displaying Tree Pipit, & great views of a male Redstart in full song. Also singing Woodlark, & 2 each of Willow Warbler & Chiffchaff. Apart from the birds a massive bonus was seeing my first ever Sand Lizard very kindly shown in the hand to me by a visiting field officer of the Reptile & Amphibian Conservation organisation.

John.

Bramblings at Thursley

Hello all,

Could anyone please give the precise whereabouts of the Bramblings (presumably a flock) at Thursley? And are there any summer-plumaged males?

Thanks, in anticipation,

D

There are many males in the flock many in near full summer plumage. If there are as many there as I saw on Thursday, you shouldn't have any problem locating them. They were very mobile, being seen at the base of the north slope of Shrike Hill, behind the tumulus, and on the north edge of Parish Field to name but three. They were very vocal too. In fact I mistook thier buzzing as some sort of machine droning in the distance at first!

There are many males in the flock many in near full summer plumage. If there are as many there as I saw on Thursday, you shouldn't have any problem locating them. They were very mobile, being seen at the base of the north slope of Shrike Hill, behind the tumulus, and on the north edge of Parish Field to name but three. They were very vocal too. In fact I mistook thier buzzing as some sort of machine droning in the distance at first!

Thanks very much Sean, I will try to find them tomorrow morning.

D

Staines Reservoir 16.04.11 7pm - 8pm

Female Velvet Scoter still on north basin at dusk, plus Slavonian Grebe (sum.plum) on south basin at east end, Great Northern Diver still on south basin and Whimbrel (very vocal) circled south basin with a Curlew at 8pm then both flew off SE.

Brian

Female Velvet Scoter still present on the North Basin today but distant. Also 2 Great Northern Divers & 25 Little Gulls on the South Basin.

John.

Redstart and Tree Pipit at Crooksbury this afternoon. Moved over to Churt Common in the vain home of seeing last year's Dartford Warblers but they weren't to be seen. Shame.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back